Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Listening to them on Monday they were appauled at NBADRAFT.nets placement of Salim Stoudamire at the #28 posistion. Granted I don't think NBADRAFT.net is the end all be all, but the 5th quarter guys were going on and on about Salim being a Lottery pick, instead of a late 20's pick.

At 6'1" Salim doesn't posess PG skills, nor is he teh phenominal break you down kinda player like Iverson is. At least from what I've seen...He's a very good shooter, but I don't think he can masqurade as a PG like Damon has or even as AI did.

What do you guys think about Salim from a role standpoint?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I'm sure he'll impress some former-PG GM/Coach who loves short shooting PGs... say are the Knicks in the lotto or playoffs? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Salim's a great shooter, clutch performer, but doesn't really have the leadership skills to be a PG or be someone you would hand the PG duties to like Telfair.
Put him in a system that doesn't need a PG, like the triangle in LA, let him play off Kobe and stretch a defense, then I could see Salim succeeding.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I think the best case scenario Salim would be like a Nick Van Exel(in his prime) type player in the league......But I highly doubt he will ever even live up to that, I think an Anthony Peeler type player is what Salim will probably become...

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I don't know how Salim will turn out. Most of his developments will depend on how he changes his attitude around.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Salim doesn't have the shake and bake that NVE has, Peeler might be more accurate, but IIRC Peeler was more like 6'3".

·
Registered
922 Posts
Schilly said:
Listening to them on Monday they were appauled at NBADRAFT.nets placement of Salim Stoudamire at the #28 posistion. Granted I don't think NBADRAFT.net is the end all be all, but the 5th quarter guys were going on and on about Salim being a Lottery pick, instead of a late 20's pick.

At 6'1" Salim doesn't posess PG skills, nor is he teh phenominal break you down kinda player like Iverson is. At least from what I've seen...He's a very good shooter, but I don't think he can masqurade as a PG like Damon has or even as AI did.

What do you guys think about Salim from a role standpoint?
See Eddie House. Fringe NBA player who will always have a job because he can score. A guy like maybe a Craig Hodges, Trent Tucker type.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
furball said:
See Eddie House. Fringe NBA player who will always have a job because he can score. A guy like maybe a Craig Hodges, Trent Tucker type.
I can't see Salim being half of what Damon has been.

The only thing Salim has on Damon is 3".

If it wasn't for Salim's attitude, I think he could be a bench player for the next 10 years. But considering he'll be upset with his role coming off the bench, I can't see him making it 5 years in the pros.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I HOPE Salim goes in the lottery. Hopefully to a Western conerence team, and even better if it's a pick ahead of wherever Portland picks.

If Salim can play the 1, he's clearly a guy with an NBA future the way he shoots the ball. I haven't seen him demonstrate that ability, though, and 6'1" shooters are fringe players at best if they can't play the 1.

Even Eddie House can score in other ways than shooting the ball; I think that he's quicker and more athletic than Salim, too, even if he's an inch shorter. And House is lucky to keep an NBA gig for more than a half-season at a time.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I agree with you Ed.

Eddie House was more of a handful in the Pac-10 than Salim ever was. I recall one team having to play a Triangle and 2 to slow House down.

I just don't see Salim having the skill set needed to be a day-in and day-out player in the NBA.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I actually think Eddie House was a better player in college than Salim was. Salim might be a better shooter, but there are a lot of those guys in college. many of the shots he hits he wouldn't even get off in the NBA.

Take that game-winner vs oklahoma state ... no WAY he gets that shot off in the nba. that was god awful defense by the way.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That said, if Portland used a second-round pick with him, I think that would be great. Stoudamire can definitely contribute to an NBA team as a shooter off of the bench.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Speaking of the 5th quarter.....

A guy from KXL told me that the 5th quarter might not be around next year...Since Cucina Cucina went out of business, they dont have anywhere to do it and on top of that he said that it is just too much work every game.....

It's going to be a sham, that show use to be my bedtime story as a little kid, when it was hosted by Scott Lynn.....

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Speaking of the 5th quarter.....

A guy from KXL told me that the 5th quarter might not be around next year...Since Cucina Cucina went out of business, they dont have anywhere to do it and on top of that he said that it is just too much work every game.....

It's going to be a sham, that show use to be my bedtime story as a little kid, when it was hosted by Scott Lynn.....
well that sucks, but I can understand why. Really, who outside of the die-hards listen to it?

And plus, it's totally counter to what KXL's main audience core is, and probably isn't a ratings winner. Just like how they cut off 30 minutes from the pre-game show, it's just another sign of things being cheaper (probably) to not do it. I think they'd be losing a viable source for fans to talk about the game, etc.

I don't get why cucina cucina potentially closing matters? For starters, there's a good chance there will be another resturant there. And on top of that, for 41 games a year, they do the 5th quarter @ kxl.

And on top of that, they do Courtside Monday nights @ kxl now, 48+ weeks a year. I don't see why they can't just do it from KXL period. I dont think Bancroft is that far away from the Garden, that at least 1 person couldn't be there to do the post game shows that they already have on the payroll..

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Maybe The Fan will take it over....

The guy said that all that is put into the show it really isnt worth it...

If The Fan could take it over, and they could get Gavin Dawson(who isnt anti-blazer like the rest of the fan nerds) to do it I think it might work. The post game show The Fan currently runs is pretty lame. If they could extend that show longer and get more e-mails read and take more calls, I think that it could be a good show....and might draw the current 5th quarter listeners....

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Maybe The Fan will take it over....

The guy said that all that is put into the show it really isnt worth it...

If The Fan could take it over, and they could get Gavin Dawson(who isnt anti-blazer like the rest of the fan nerds) to do it I think it might work. The post game show The Fan currently runs is pretty lame. If they could extend that show longer and get more e-mails read and take more calls, I think that it could be a good show....and might draw the current 5th quarter listeners....
yah. I bet the Blazers are thinking "yah, let's award the station thats been basically john canzano with audio, by giving them the post game show."

Maybe the Blazers should hire Crapzano and Quick to write for Rip City while they're at it. And get Scott Burridge to do the pre-game shows.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
They should get Antonio Harvey under contract....I like what he has to say, and an ex-blazers point of view would be good perspective that I think more listeners would tune in for......or maybe have another former Blazer do it as well....

On a side note, I ran into Bobby Gross in the elevator he's a very nice guy....

On yet another side note, I saw Kevin Duckworth at the game and I swear he looks like Goodyear Blimp...He has to way like 700lbs.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
They should get Antonio Harvey under contract....I like what he has to say, and an ex-blazers point of view would be good perspective that I think more listeners would tune in for......or maybe have another former Blazer do it as well....

On a side note, I ran into Bobby Gross in the elevator he's a very nice guy....

On yet another side note, I saw Kevin Duckworth at the game and I swear he looks like Goodyear Blimp...He has to way like 700lbs.
you shoulda told bobby that you know that "crazy fan" who was trying to pull strings to get him honored one of these days.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Hap said:
you shoulda told bobby that you know that "crazy fan" who was trying to pull strings to get him honored one of these days.
I'll mention it, next game if I come across him....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts