Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baxter reminds me of a young Charles Barkley. He's "undersized" but manages to score at least 1pt/minute and grab boards. He looks like he can play D and make his free throws, too.

I notice that Chandler will not play the rest of the pre-season. The writing is on the wall, IMO, if Baxter continues his great all-round play.

He is no project, and he has actual polished basketball skills.

What can I say, 'cept I am a fan.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I have NEVER been a supporter..

of chandler playing pf, or C for that matter just by virtue of his height. I would rather him develop his ball handling and shooting skills and be another dirk nowitzki or KG. Leave the center and pf positions to the likes of those who PLAY like they are a PF or C???

Players like Baxter, are gonna show, hopefully the coach, and the organization, that Chandler is best suited as a SF....a very tall athletic one.
Just my repeated opinion.
:grinning:

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Krause will wait and then .....

The big Jerry K. has got to love Baxter. Baxter has all of the work ethic and attitude that Fizer was supposed to have. I think Krause and Cartwright will keep the competition between Fizer and Baxter going until the trade deadline. Assuming Fizer responds to the challenge at all, his defense and rebounding should improve, thus improving his trade value. Then Fizer goes for.................

Crawford and J. will are in the same boat. Assuming Crawford gets over his pouting and starts to try and play his way onto the court, Crawford should look pretty good to other teams around the trade deadline.

That gives Krause some real ammunition. He has young guys with fairly cheap short term contracts and loads of potential, especially on offense who might be available. We might see some real interesting personnel moves around the trade deadline.

The only question is what team bites???????

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
He played a terrific game Friday night. I hope he can sustain the momentum for another 95-100 games, into June 2003!

OK maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Count me in.

I remember last season watching another second rounder, Hassell, and being impressed by the fact that he seemed to know what he was doing on an NBA court. I had the same feeling last night watching Baxter (although the level of competition wasn't really NBA-caliber). He works very hard out there, knows where to position himself and is extremely aggressive. He's got some game.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Da Bullz,

I don't really see as much Barkley as young ELton Brand. He doesn't have great athleticism but knows how to position himself, and use his body well on the glass. Offensive game is limited in number of moves but is nonetheless effective. Not jump out of your seat spectacular but admitedly killin' in its own right. Fear the turtle.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!
Da Bullz,

I don't really see as much Barkley as young ELton Brand. He doesn't have great athleticism but knows how to position himself, and use his body well on the glass. Offensive game is limited in number of moves but is nonetheless effective. Not jump out of your seat spectacular but admitedly killin' in its own right. Fear the turtle.
I see him like Barkley because he is considered undersized, scores a ton, and rebounds better than his size would suggest.

From what I've seen of Baxter, I'm seriously impressed with his ballhandling skills and his ability to dribble/shoot/score with either hand.

I haven't seen him lead the fast break yet, as Barkley was able to, but that may come with experience. And later in his career, Barkley became a decent outside shooter.

Another comparison I thought of was "an ambidextrous Stacy King." At least the hype coming out of college.

Cheers

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Krause will wait and then .....

Originally posted by <b>Fergus</b>!
The big Jerry K. has got to love Baxter. Baxter has all of the work ethic and attitude that Fizer was supposed to have. I think Krause and Cartwright will keep the competition between Fizer and Baxter going until the trade deadline. Assuming Fizer responds to the challenge at all, his defense and rebounding should improve, thus improving his trade value. Then Fizer goes for.................

I'm not particularly a Fizer fan, but I think people are exaggerating his being one-dimensional.

For example, in the game against the clippers, he did have 9 rebounds in 30 minutes.

And half as many assists as Jamal Crawford. :confused:

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
You know its funny, but I cant even imagine an ambidextrous Stacy King.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!
You know its funny, but I cant even imagine an ambidextrous Stacy King.
I did qualify it with "the hype coming out of college." King led the nation in scoring and was going to be the #1 pick in the draft, according to all reports I read at the time. King was excellent around the basket, and knew how to score. He was left handed, and his moves were extremely predictable because he wasn't amibdextrous.

Better? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
keep it real

well I hearing alot stuff like chandler shouldnt start, well see what happends frist start for baxtor but it one game very positive!
It is very nice to have guy's who can come off the bench and get the job done thats what playoof teams do and even championship teams so lets not be so trade happy.
Keep what we got and as fans lets have fun and watch this team grow into contender's and maybe champions again:)

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I'm in too.

I like the Brand comparison better, except that Baxter's wingspan is not quite so tremendous as Brand's. But the Barkley comparison isn't as good... Barkley had a strong jumper and was extremely quick, in addition to being a monster in the post.

Barkley was also 6'6" (some think, 6'4").

Baxter is a full 6'7.5, at least. :)

Either way, he's a good reason to kiss Fizer goodbye. I think he's a good player, and we shouldn't let good players just walk away, maybe, but if there's not a huge need, then there's no reason to pay Fizer to be a backup if Baxter is going to get his minutes. Economically, it doesn't make sense.

If we didn't have Baxter, I'd be all for keeping Fizer. But with more performances like this (and Baxter is REALLY consistent... he hasn't had a single poor performance given his minutes, starting from summer league; most of his showings have been really good), Baxter is winning me over for the man for backup spot or even starter, until Chandler catches up... there must be a balance between effectiveness for the team overall and development of a player... choose the more effective player to start and use heavy minutes off the bench to develop the player with more potential.

Maybe that's a little premature, but let's just see...

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am a fan of the guy, and was definitely happy when the Bulls finally signed him. I have not been impressed with Fizer's overall game, and I think baxter is one of those intangible guys that makes a difference in the win/loss column. I think Fizer's minutes are in serious jeopardy.

That being said, after one game the guy has a great performance against a short handed Clipper team in a preseason game and some are comparing him to Barkley?

Charles Barkley was at least a 10 time all star, former rebounding champ, former league MVP, former dream teamer, named one of the greatest 50 players ever.

I don't think the 43 pick in this years draft is the next Sir Charles.

That Malik Rose comparison was good.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Count me in, too! I have liked what I've seen from him. He is aggressive and seems to have no fear, which I REALLY like. He does position himself well, but then he also, like Barkley and Malik Rose, goes after that rebound with ferocity, which I love.

Fizer has not ever impressed me - in fact, he is as good now as he's going to be, imho.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>sinkingship</b>!
I am a fan of the guy, and was definitely happy when the Bulls finally signed him. I have not been impressed with Fizer's overall game, and I think baxter is one of those intangible guys that makes a difference in the win/loss column. I think Fizer's minutes are in serious jeopardy.

That being said, after one game the guy has a great performance against a short handed Clipper team in a preseason game and some are comparing him to Barkley?

Charles Barkley was at least a 10 time all star, former rebounding champ, former league MVP, former dream teamer, named one of the greatest 50 players ever.

I don't think the 43 pick in this years draft is the next Sir Charles.

That Malik Rose comparison was good.
Yep, Barkley was a great player.

It's hard to look at a guy who scores a point per minute and 1/2 rebound per minute and not think of Barkley-like production.

I haven't looked that hard, but there have been several notable NBA stars drafted pretty low:

Rodman 27th pick
Kukoc 29th pick
Mark Price 25th pick
Reggie Lewis 22nd pick

Needless to say, there have been some awful low picks, too:

Pervis Ellison #1
Danny Ferry #2
Chris Washburn #3
etc.

(These are from 1984 to the present)

And Rashard Lewis (he's been mentioned a lot on these boards) was a 32nd pick.

Cheers

·
Registered
835 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBullz</b>!

Yep, Barkley was a great player.

It's hard to look at a guy who scores a point per minute and 1/2 rebound per minute and not think of Barkley-like production.

I haven't looked that hard, but there have been several notable NBA stars drafted pretty low:

Rodman 27th pick
Kukoc 29th pick
Mark Price 25th pick
Reggie Lewis 22nd pick

Needless to say, there have been some awful low picks, too:

Pervis Ellison #1
Danny Ferry #2
Chris Washburn #3
etc.

(These are from 1984 to the present)

And Rashard Lewis (he's been mentioned a lot on these boards) was a 32nd pick.

Cheers
I hold out hope he could be a very good player. But Barkley?

Remember, he hasn't scored a point, grabbed a rebound, or done anything yet.

He hasn't played in a real game yet.

If we go by preseason performance. Rose is going to score only 6 pts per game.

These games don't mean much.

That being said, I don't think Fizer has ever shown the tenacity this kid has in ANY game, preseason or for real. I already want this guy getting Fizer's minutes.

We need guys that rebound, defend, and hustle. fizer is a gunner and very little else. And his shooting, even when effective, often takes away from the team game.

Fizer=Stacey King II. A big time college scorer from a not so big basketball school. He gets to the pros and finds out his game cannot dominate like college.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
some numbers

Baxter has played 75 minutes, is shooting 75% (18/24), has 20 rebounds, and 52 points.

75 minutes is like two games for a starter, so... well you get the idea, he's a freekin star! (did someone say CWebb?) However he does have eight TO's.

I think his presence almost forces us to get rid of Fizer. He is the bulky, underneath presence that we have hoped Fizer could be, and with the additional needed 4 spot minutes for our best rebounder, Marshall, there is no real spot for Fizer. Plus Marshall fills it up better than Fizer.

Bottom line: Take a chance that Fizer will not be more then a Corliss Williamson type player at best and trade him for anything possible in order to improve team dynamics.

What about Fizer for Artest? Indy could use a backup PF as they seem to like Herrington at SF. They do need offense.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree Baxter hasn't played a game yet.

Did anyone actually see the game tonight? I heard it via netcast, but couldn't really tell from the "homer" announcers just what was really going on. My big question is about Baxter. He came in early, went like 4-4 from the field and 1-2 from the line in his first 10 minutes. Then I hardly heard the announcers call his name, as if he didn't get many touches after that. Judging from the box score, he didn't.

Is 4-4 FG in about 8 minutes the "hot hand" or what? Did the Griz play him really tough on D after that? Or did having him and Fizer on the floor not work out well?

Any info would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts