Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible that Baxter is playing his way into the PF position, beating out Tyson Chandler?

If Baxter keeps playing at his current level, the coaches are going to have to give it some thought. From his stats, he's looking a lot like a young Charles Barkley...

Of course the Bulls have pinned a lot of hopes on Chandler, but they're going to have to look at what's happening on the court and play the best players.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Baxter's stats look great, but it is only the summer league. No question Bulls management is noticing, but it's one thing to do it in the summer league against a bunch of never will bes and NBA starters and all stars. Patience, we will find out more this fall.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
This is a valid question. If Baxter is better than Chandler at the start of the season does he start?

You would have to think he does to make Chandler earn his spot. His strength last year was his aggression. Aggression alone should get you decent stats in Summer League, just look at Amare.

I don't think it is a sense of entitlement from him but you never know.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I hate to say this but he brings up a good point. I know it is summer league play but still, Baxter is playing steady ball all the way around. Rebounding especially!! He has suprised me. Now playing this way against the summer league players is one thing, but real NBA players is another. His numbers all the way around has to make one take notice of his game anyway! Better numbers all the way around than Chandler even including last summer. I know numbers can be deceiving! But it looks like Baxter might not only make the club, he might even play more a part of the bulls success this year than i originally thought he would!

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not want to be misunderstood. I am as big a Bulls fan as anyone else and want to see them return to the championship level they were at.

I agree that both Tyson and Lonnie are playing against almost feeble competition, compared to the real NBA. Chandler did prove over about a 30 game stretch that he can be at least a 15ppg/10rpg kind of player. I don't look at him and see the next Tim Duncan.

Baxter has the advantage of college coaching and experience, and playing against summer league talent already. As Barkley proved, you can be a top power forward without height, and at least the roster shows Baxter is 6'8" (Barkley was 6'4").

My point is that after seeing Baxter put up 9 pts, 9 reb, shoot 75%, and do it in 9 minutes for a few games, and watching Chandler struggle against less-than-NBA-caliber competition, Baxter's minutes might get a bump. And if Baxter steps up, Chandler may end up teaming with Fizer to give the Bulls terrific depth at the backup PF and C positions.

When I look at the roster, I see gobs of talent, and a lot of depth. What I don't see is seasoning, defense, and players that know how to nurse a 6 point lead down the stretch into a victory. What I see is the best five players the team can put on the floor may not be able to win together, but individually look great on paper.

Chandler needs a ton of minutes just to catch up with the guys his age who are getting those minutes in college. The Bulls also have a big project in Curry, who looks like Baby Shaq but rebounds like Bugsy Mogues.

It might make a lot of sense to use a combination of players that complement eachother well and have a better blend of youth and experience - even if that experience is college ball. The team may come to realize that they can get Chandler 30 minutes per game, every game, backing up Baxter and Curry.

When I think of the Championship Bulls, I don't think of a roster as deep and talented as the current team. I think of 3 to 5 legitimate NBA players along with a bench of Steve Kerr types - guys who might not be in the NBA if they didn't fit the Bulls' system.

Cartwright was there and was part of it (and was one of those legitimate NBA players, BTW). I suspect he's going to be patient while putting his best team on the floor for every minute of the game. That's what it's all about, not grooming teenagers.

My $.02 and worth it :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think we should also keep in mind that SUS says Baxter is playing against the other team's second unit most of the time.

There can be a big drop off in talent, especially on teams that don't have four regular season starters like the Bulls have.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Has everyone forgotten about Fizer as well? There is little chance of Baxter starting ahead of Fizer. It is great to see Baxter take advantage of the opportunity and show some of what he has. I am ecstatic to see it. More depth, more versatility.

However, Fizer (and I am not a major Fizer honk) would probably be outshining all of them with his offensive game and limited effort on the boards. That is the scary part of this......Baxter may not be shining and Chandler may be ......well, if he was a pitcher, I'd hope he was toying with new pitches prior to the season. Cause right now, he's getting shelled.

Wake up Twin Toddlers.....It's feeding time!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
fizer should start over tyson

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't forgotten about Fizer. I'm just looking at the kind of stats Baxter has put up. Fizer doesn't play D or rebound, and Baxter does both - so far, and against this limited competition.

I'm not saying that given what Baxter has done to date he should start. I said that he might get his minutes bumped up so he plays against better competition, and he may just dominate in practice and give the coaches a real decision.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
My point on Baxter is that he is doing what he should be doing and Chandler isn't. Beating up on lesser competition. My comparrison was that I believe that Fizer would tear up Baxter's opponents and I hope that Chandler would as well. Unfortunatley Chandler isn't, right now.

I think this is actually a good thing, for what it's worth. These guys are working out hard. WOuld they have continued that ethic if they came here a dominated easily? Also, what would that have accomplished? Hopefully, the humble pie being served will leave a bad aftertaste that motivates them even more.

PS - Hassell is showing he is a true pro.

Baxter showing he is a keeper.

Pete showing what having a voice can do (He's averaging a technical a game?)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Repeating myself..

...somewhere in another post I mentioned how the rest of this summer league is playing either bench or rookies against what amounts to nearly our STARTING TEAM!! LOL besides, two more points, baxter might just be showing up chandler now...but like some of you have stated, THIS IS NOT THE NBA regular season, and let me add, PETE MYERS IS NOT THE HEAD COACH of our Bulls. Hopefully, when eddie curry and tyson get back to playing ball with jalen and under bill cartwright, they will continue their "learning" cycle? COME ON BULLS, 45 wins and/or finish ahead of the Pacers for me? (Eh Vin?) LOL GO BULLS~~~:yes:

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
The way EddyCurry is rebounding the ball, or not rebounding the ball I should say, the Bull smight be better off going with a starting lineup with Chandler at center and Fizer at pf.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fizer won't give you any more rebounds than Eddy will.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
maybe so, but Eddy hasn't rebounded in teh summer league nearly as well as he did during the regular season last year. I don't think he has had over 3 rebounds in a game! Fizer can definitley do that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't think there's any excuse for Eddy's poor rebounding this summer, but like was said, he DID rebound better than that during the regular season. As much as Eddy's rebounding is bothering me, I have to assume he will do much better during the regular season.

Baxter playing well is a huge bonus. I think Tyson starts no matter what at the start of the season. If I were Fizer, I'd be a little worried. There were trade rumors BEFORE LB showed his toughness. Fizer doesn't seem to get a break here.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
While I wish Eddy did grab a few more boards, there may be reasons behind it. Only one person can rebound the ball you know?

Think about it... if Curry were to get more boards, Chandler's numbers would go down since they are ultimately on the floor at the same time. Also, according to the boxscores, Chandler has been playing the center spot and Curry at the PF, so there may be a reason why Curry isn't boarding like people expect.

When they are playing together, who gives a flying fack who gets the board? So would you rather have Curry averaging 3 more rebounds a game at the expense of Chandler? or Baxter?

The fact is, through three games, we've still outrebounded out opponents. That is a success to me. You all are so overcritical it is amazing.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by RetroDreams
While I wish Eddy did grab a few more boards, there may be reasons behind it. Only one person can rebound the ball you know?

Think about it... if Curry were to get more boards, Chandler's numbers would go down since they are ultimately on the floor at the same time. Also, according to the boxscores, Chandler has been playing the center spot and Curry at the PF, so there may be a reason why Curry isn't boarding like people expect.

When they are playing together, who gives a flying fack who gets the board? So would you rather have Curry averaging 3 more rebounds a game at the expense of Chandler? or Baxter?

The fact is, through three games, we've still outrebounded out opponents. That is a success to me. You all are so overcritical it is amazing.
Very glad to see you retro

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by RetroDreams

I think it matters in the sense that you do not want to see those guys become one-dimensional. Curry the Scorer and Chandler the Rebounder. I wouldn't give too much credit to some of the Box Scores I have seen to determine position. I saw JWill listed at center for one Box.

There are rebounds out there for Curry. Yes, the Bulls are outrebounding their opponents but they are still getting rebounds themselves.

This is not a criticism for summer league though. Summer League is meaningless.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts