·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lampe may be steal of deal

Tim Tyers and Bob Young
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 11, 2004 12:00 AM

An NBA insider in New York is saying that in five years, the recent multiplayer trade between the Knicks and Suns will be known as the Lampe trade, not the Marbury trade.

So far, 18-year-old Maciej Lampe (MAH-chick LOMP-ay) has not made an NBA appearance. The Knicks put him on the injured list Oct. 27 with shin splints, and the Suns put him on the injured list Friday with back spasms to make room for the return of Amare Stoudemire and Zarko Cabarkapa.

Lampe, 6 feet 11 and 240 pounds, was regarded as a lottery pick before last year's draft, but fell to the first pick of the second round (No. 30) due to questions over his contract status in Europe.

"I really like him. He has a lot of talent," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "This kid is going to be really good. He just needs more age. As a coach, I know I can give him more years. We'll just have to wait awhile. But he has all the skills.

"He needs to get stronger (upper body) and get experience. He has some things that you can't teach, like a feel for the game and shooting ability. It's a lot easier to wait and let him mature than it is to reconstruct the game. He already has the game."

How does he compare with another former Suns "project," center Jake Tsakalidis?

"We're talking Mars and Venus," D'Antoni said. "We're talking about two different planets. This guy has unbelievable skills. I liked Jake, but Jake was more robotic. This guy is a basketball player. You can't teach the talent he has."

Say what?

The Suns now have a Serbian (Cabarkapa), a Brazilian (Leandro Barbosa), a Pole born in Sweden (Lampe), a head coach who played and coached in Europe, an assistant who played in Europe (Mark Iavaroni), plus they own the rights to Yugoslavian point guard Milos Vujanic, who'll probably play here next season.

Could there be a failure to communicate? After all, the Suns looked lost at times against Sacramento on Friday.

"No, there won't be a communication problem because of my experience in Europe - we had guys from seven different countries," D'Antoni said. "It's basketball and there's only one way to play it. Experience is the problem right now, that and knowing our teammates.

"Setting the basis of how we want to play is going to take awhile. If we show improvement and play with guts and heart, we'll be fine. If we don't bring out enthusiasm, we'll struggle. It's a process we have to go through."

Let's do Rio!

The NBA is considering playing a preseason game in Brazil in 2004 or 2005, and it's likely that the Suns, with Barbosa, and Denver, which features Nene, a 6-9 Brazilian power forward who has legally dropped his last name of Hilario, will be the attractions.

"If this is happening, I think this would be very good for basketball in my country," Barbosa said. "A lot of people watch this. A lot of people go see this."

Suns President/General Manager Bryan Colangelo said he is aware of informal talks about the game, but said: "Nobody has contacted me directly, yet."

Baptism by fire

D'Antoni said Saturday that his plan is simple for returning Stoudemire and Cabarkapa to basketball shape after their long layoffs.

"Just play them," he said. "There's no secret to it. Three days of practice before our next game will help. They're going to have some rough spots, and we'll just have to play through them. Hopefully, they'll adapt quick. But again, if they play hard, we'll be fine."

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
am i missing something??? are you the anonomous NBA INSIDER??

i remember you saying this

Dolan is a genius because he can take advantage of guillible NY fans who are stuck so much on themselves being "the smartest fans in the world" to bother realizing that this not only gives Dolan a chance to raise ticket prices again, but it also further prolongs the Knicks from winning a championship for the next decade

·
Registered
29 Posts
When first reported on ESPNEWS:
Knicks receive: Stephon Marbury
Penny Hardaway
Suns receive: Antonio Mcdyess
Howard Eisley
Charlie Ward
2 first round picks
:clap:

Finalized trade:
Knicks get: Add Tewtfajcemczki
Suns Get: Lampe
:upset:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know I HATED to see Lampe go, even to get Marbury. The draft picks, Vujani, Ward, Eisley they didn't matter to me. I was really hoping that Lampe would survive the purging. I don't like that fact that we've mortgage so much of our future for Marbury. How many picks we have in this years 2nd rd? Anyone knows? I'm going to watch Lampe develop in Phx. and it's going to kill to see what a good ball player he is going to be...

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Tapseer,for the record and i stated this from the onset,I would have traded for Rahim,which apparentky Thomas tried to do initally.....I am suprised they couldnt pry him loose...

We have got to get our front line a bit more athletic

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rashidi</b>!

Sounds like Keith Van Horn athletic to me.

More athletic than Keith Van Horn: Less athletic than Shawn Marion and Kevin Garnett.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
I dunno, Keith Van Horn has proven that he runs the floor better than anyone on the Knicks save Shandon Anderson.

Is Rahim any better than that?
I think they are equal. I think people look at Rahim and see that he is African American and atuomatically think he is athletic. Rahim came into the league as a small foward but he was not quick or fast enough to guard them and ended up moved to Power foward in his last couple of seasons with the Grizzles.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rynobot</b>!

I think they are equal. I think people look at Rahim and see that he is African American and atuomatically think he is athletic. Rahim came into the league as a small foward but he was not quick or fast enough to guard them and ended up moved to Power foward in his last couple of seasons with the Grizzles.

Imagine how much t sux 4 him. He went to the worst team at the time now he's still on the worst team, but not the Grizz anymore.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
. Rahim came into the league as a small foward but he was not quick or fast enough to guard them and ended up moved to Power foward in his last couple of seasons with the Grizzles
Sounds eerily similiar to Van Horn, with a minor twist. Van Horn was moved from power forward TO small forward, where it turns out he isn't quick enough or fast enough to guard them. Rather than change him back to PF, he's just been deemed a career SF, in part due to the roster restrictions of his teams. Nets, Sixers, and Knicks all had good PFs starting.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts

Sounds eerily similiar to Van Horn, with a minor twist. Van Horn was moved from power forward TO small forward, where it turns out he isn't quick enough or fast enough to guard them. Rather than change him back to PF, he's just been deemed a career SF, in part due to the roster restrictions of his teams. Nets, Sixers, and Knicks all had good PFs starting.
Van Horn also has 3-point range unlike Rahim who always has been horrible and can't hit a shot from further than 20 feet.

·
Registered
462 Posts
people people...

This is an easy argument

Rahim is black
KVH is white

Whos more athletic? Im white and I think i can definatly go ahead and say Rahim. Sorry for the semi-racist comments but hey, cmon..:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.