Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, the Raps have their own pick, destined to be top 4, and Denver's failing a drop to the top 5. This pick could now be anywhere. They are playing well now on the backs of Camby and Melo but with K-Mart and Nene hurting and out, their depth will be put to the test. The pick could be as high as late lotto should the worst, err, best happen, depending on your perspective.

This brings me to the discussion.

Chicago has its own pick and NY's (14 and 4 as of today)

NO/OK has its own and Milwaukee's (9 and 20 aot)

Portland has its own and Utah's (8 and 11 aot)

Depending on where the ping pong balls fall, there is an opportunity to make a swap with one of these teams should there be a match.

For example

Raps pick is #2 or 3 and Denver is #19

If the Raps don't get a shot at Rudy Gay (should they want him), could they or should they secure two lottery picks from either Portland, Chicago or NO should Milwaukee slip???

To me, if the stud is not available (Gay) and Bargnani et al do not appeal, I would advocate a deal to move down to grab two lottery quality players. However this depends on the depth of the lottery and the number of underclassmen and Euros that come out.

For a sampling:

NBAdraft.net has

Shelden Williams and Tiago Splitter to PDX at 8 and 11.
LaMarcus Aldridge and Al Horford to CHI at 4 and 14

DraftExpress.com has

Rajon Rondo and Shelden to PDX at 8 and 11.
LaMarcus Aldridge and Malik Hairston to CHI at 4 and 14.

·
Registered
721 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
As we all know, the Raps have their own pick, destined to be top 4, and Denver's failing a drop to the top 5. This pick could now be anywhere. They are playing well now on the backs of Camby and Melo but with K-Mart and Nene hurting and out, their depth will be put to the test. The pick could be as high as late lotto should the worst, err, best happen, depending on your perspective.

This brings me to the discussion.

Chicago has its own pick and NY's (14 and 4 as of today)

NO/OK has its own and Milwaukee's (9 and 20 aot)

Portland has its own and Utah's (8 and 11 aot)

Depending on where the ping pong balls fall, there is an opportunity to make a swap with one of these teams should there be a match.

For example

Raps pick is #2 or 3 and Denver is #19

If the Raps don't get a shot at Rudy Gay (should they want him), could they or should they secure two lottery picks from either Portland, Chicago or NO should Milwaukee slip???

To me, if the stud is not available (Gay) and Bargnani et al do not appeal, I would advocate a deal to move down to grab two lottery quality players. However this depends on the depth of the lottery and the number of underclassmen and Euros that come out.

For a sampling:

NBAdraft.net has

Shelden Williams and Tiago Splitter to PDX at 8 and 11.
LaMarcus Aldridge and Al Horford to CHI at 4 and 14

DraftExpress.com has

Rajon Rondo and Shelden to PDX at 8 and 11.
LaMarcus Aldridge and Malik Hairston to CHI at 4 and 14.
Well if we dont have a chance at Gay, assuming he is the consensus #1 at Draft time, we shouldnt automatically look to ship it off. As we saw this year, having two solid works out just fine. And considering this should be a draft that sees alot of overseas players go early, there could be a solid college player like Reddick or Hassan Adams availalble with Denvers pick.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Let's say our pick is 3-5. And Denvers is 17-20. We really want Rudy Gay. Feel he is a superstar in the making - just what this team needs. It would probably be in our best interest to trade both of those picks for the #1 pick, and other considerations.

Thats what I'd like to do as of now. Just because I feel Rudy is the only potential superstar in this draft, at the position we need.

If I just repeated what you said, sorry. I didn't read the thread.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The other thing to consider is trading for an unprotected 2007 pick, in order to get a better shot at Oden. Obviously that's a bit risky because you can end up like Phoenix, which traded the 7th pick in 2004 (Deng) for a future first, which ended up being the 21st pick after the Bulls made the playoffs. Still, by most accounts 2006 is a weak draft, and 2007 is a strong one, so I wouldn't mind stockpiling 2007 picks.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I think in a weak draft like 2006, the higher picks are even more valuable.

So say we end with #3 & #19, I'd rather keep those than go for 8 & 11 ( for example) as the # 3 player could end up being considereably better than the #8 pick. The 8/11/19 could all be crap shoot type picks in a weak draft, or certainly risky ones.

Alternatively I'd trade both picks if #1 was available, I'd even trade both to move up to #2 if theres someone that we need there. There are only so many slots to put young players into, and at this point we'd be better off with one stud to add to our team ( Center or SG) then two more contributors/role players. We always have cap space to add another veteran player once the young core is established.

As for Aldridge from Texas, he is gonna be a top draft pick - 1/2/3 by the end of the season IMO.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
The dropoff after the first four or so picks is going to be big this year. If we get a top pick we have to keep it, or move up. Moving down won't help.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
/\/\/\
well, I pretty much agree with speedy and crookedJ.
Unless we get ****ed by the ball machine, I don't see any chance of us getting worse then 3, but probably 2 or 1. Everyone in the West well have a better record then the Raps, but in the east, i think it really is us and the hawks at the bottom. i think the knicks will get better and charlotte and orlando will both have better records then us.
Having said that, even if we have the second pick and the hawks take Gay, I still keep it and draft the BPA, hopefully that's a bigman or a SG.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It will be interesting. Rudy Gay has not proven to me that he is the top pick overall yet with his inconsistent play.

I think it will all depend on who declares and whether or not the Raps target a player further down. If they don't like somebody because they are an *** or because they hate the idea of playing in Canada, do they seek added value?

I also perceive a drop off. But if LaMarcus Aldrige is in our slot do we take a 3rd similar player, or do we trade essentially his draft rights for 8 and 11 possibly Morrison and Shelden?

You always take BPA IMO, but the argument for BPA is that once you have him you can trade to address your needs. This strategy does not stray from the base philosophy.

Certainly there is no consensus #1 a la Lebron or Yao. It could be a handful of guys. It is unfortunate for me at least that the my targeted guy will probably slot too low for our pick and too high for the Denver pick.

Failing a move by the Raps, I will have to get used to the idea of Shelden being the Landlord elsewhere.

:cry:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
shookem said:
/\/\/\
well, I pretty much agree with speedy and crookedJ.
Unless we get ****ed by the ball machine, I don't see any chance of us getting worse then 3, but probably 2 or 1. Everyone in the West well have a better record then the Raps, but in the east, i think it really is us and the hawks at the bottom. i think the knicks will get better and charlotte and orlando will both have better records then us.
Having said that, even if we have the second pick and the hawks take Gay, I still keep it and draft the BPA, hopefully that's a bigman or a SG.
I agree that we don't absolutley have to get et number one pick, but we must have a top 2 or top 3 IMO, even if that means cashing in two for one.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Looking at NBA draft.Net and if their ranking stays the same, and we get #2 & #17 I take Alrdidge and Rudy Fernandez in a second.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
we have too many prospects

we need to start making some 2 for 1 deals. Consolidate the talent (hopefully into 1 superfreak)

(Charlie and 2 firsts for superfreak) (I don't like Charlie anymore btw because of his Jalen-esque earring)

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
ansoncarter said:
we have too many prospects

we need to start making some 2 for 1 deals. Consolidate the talent (hopefully into 1 superfreak)

(Charlie and 2 firsts for superfreak) (I don't like Charlie anymore btw because of his Jalen-esque earring)

You want the Ghost of Rick James? LOL I agree that we don't need to stockpile more prospects - we have enough young talent. We need one stud to add to the team whether it be a high lottery pick or a guy with more experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts