Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's still early, but what do you think of the Mike James/Rafer Alston trade so far?

Mike James: 18.1 PPG, 4.6 APG, 2.9 RPG, 50% FG, 43% 3P, 33.4 MPG
Rafer Alston: 7.1 PPG, 4.1 APG, 3.9 RPG, 32% FG, 28% 3P, 31.3 MPG

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
If it wasn't for Jose I don't think the general impression of James would be a good one. He's regularly taking 20 shots. So long as Chris keeps getting shots I think everyone can live with James' explosive scoring, even in losses. When that stops it will be like it was with Rafer in town... "why is he freezing out Bosh?!!11!!"

·
Registered
268 Posts
Turkish Delight said:
I know it's still early, but what do you think of the Mike James/Rafer Alston trade so far?

Mike James: 18.1 PPG, 4.6 APG, 2.9 RPG, 50% FG, 43% 3P, 33.4 MPG
Rafer Alston: 7.1 PPG, 4.1 APG, 3.9 RPG, 32% FG, 28% 3P, 31.3 MPG
Essentially, what the team's done was trade a nominal (in theory only, not praxis) PG for a shooting guard, installing another PG imported from Spain to assume the responsibilities - I don't know how Alston would thrive as a SG so it makes it somewhat difficult to assess the trade in a directly linear fashion...

Reactions: Turkish Delight

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I just don't see Calderon and Rafer working out as well as Calderon and Mike James. When Calderon gives Mike James the ball, you never know what he's going to do. More often than not, he's going to drive, absorb the contact and go to the line, or if he's open he's going to take the jumper. With Rafer too often you saw him just settling for the jumper.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
speedythief said:
If it wasn't for Jose I don't think the general impression of James would be a good one. He's regularly taking 20 shots. So long as Chris keeps getting shots I think everyone can live with James' explosive scoring, even in losses. When that stops it will be like it was with Rafer in town... "why is he freezing out Bosh?!!11!!"
If he's shooting 50% (which he is), then he should be shooting alot. Should he pass off so that Bosh can do his stutter step 18 footer, just so Bosh gets touches?

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
^ Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been unhappy with James's play. But if he sees himself as the go-to scorer on the team and continues to have sub-5 assist games, people are going to lose patience with him.

Calderon is gluing our backcourt together right now, thankfully.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
/\/\
I dunno man, the reason he takes so many shots is cause he's the only guy in the backcourt the can make a shot.

Aside from today's game, MoP and Rose have left James as the go-to scorer, hence way Sam has put him on with Jose, to be the guy to take and make his shots.
Besides, he's shooting 50% from the field and 40% from three, on a team with few options, that makes him the go-to scorer a lot of times.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
speedythief said:
^ Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been unhappy with James's play. But if he sees himself as the go-to scorer on the team and continues to have sub-5 assist games, people are going to lose patience with him.

Calderon is gluing our backcourt together right now, thankfully.
NO,

It makes no sense to get Bosh involved just so he can take jumpers at a lower rate. Fact is, Bosh is not working hard to get good looks in the half court (other then crashing the 0-boards) he is waiting around on the perimeter. If that's the way he is going to play, then by all means let James be option 1A.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Another big checkmark for Babcock. I think James complements Jose much more than Rafer could. And thank god we've finally got a guard that can penetrate (not to mention his slashing abilities).

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
JuniorNoboa said:
NO,

It makes no sense to get Bosh involved just so he can take jumpers at a lower rate. Fact is, Bosh is not working hard to get good looks in the half court (other then crashing the 0-boards) he is waiting around on the perimeter. If that's the way he is going to play, then by all means let James be option 1A.
Bosh's jumpshot will start falling again. We can't ignore one of his greatest strengths just because he's struggling right now. If Bosh is open from eighteen it's on our whole team to find him.

If Bosh is playing badly in a game, that's another story. But we still need to run our offense through Bosh as much as possible, simply because he is one of the most efficient scorers in the League.

James is going to cool off eventually.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Mike James is a way better scoring player then Rafer as well he is averaging more assist. If you look during the game Mike James has no problem letting Calderon handle the ball up the court. In fact in the last 2 minutes James passed the ball across the court to Calderon so he can handle it. If that was Rafer he would be all for handling the ball because he thinks he is the man. Mike James is a lot more versitle then Rafer was for us. Mike James is solid, and I know when he start shooting 7-25 everyone is going to be on his back like in the Nets game. I got to say I remember a lot of people the boards saying what the heck is Mike James doing. But now because he is doing so well everyone is happy. I understand that everyone does this but really think that during the west coast drip he might struggle. (Just getting everyone ready) However, I hope nobody hates on him like before and understands he is a very streaky player. I love James + Calderon.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
from what I hear from houston fans there not happy with rafer at all as of right now it looks like we got the better deal

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Mike James is playing his way into a very tradeable asset - the type of player then can net you a non-lotto first round pick at the deadline. If we are out of it, it is a trade I would definetely consider.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
speedythief said:
Bosh's jumpshot will start falling again. We can't ignore one of his greatest strengths just because he's struggling right now. If Bosh is open from eighteen it's on our whole team to find him.

If Bosh is playing badly in a game, that's another story. But we still need to run our offense through Bosh as much as possible, simply because he is one of the most efficient scorers in the League.

James is going to cool off eventually.
We run it through him enough, based on the current way he is playing. He is getting enough looks for 17-20.

Unless he is willing to post, he does not deserve more looks. And it is not a question of having a PG getting him in the ball.... Bosh is just not getting in the block enough.

A jumper from James is more efficient then Bosh. You don't want either one shooting exclusively. Get them both involved. But there is no reason to have Bosh shoot more jumpers then he is right now... absolutely none. He has starting looking for more efficient ways to score.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
JuniorNoboa said:
Mike James is playing his way into a very tradeable asset - the type of player then can net you a non-lotto first round pick at the deadline. If we are out of it, it is a trade I would definetely consider.

Good point.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
I think the James/Calderon combo works because they are so different James is looking to score and Calderon to pass

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Mr_B said:
^why would you trade james? thats crazy right now
You need to realize where the Raptors are at in their success cycle.

The Raptors are going nowhere in 2006 and 2007.

Currently, it is logical to identify that our success cycle (which you target for a 3-5 year period) should be targeted at 2007 thru 2011.

If you beleive James as a 32,33,34,35,36 year-old (even if he is still around) will be more effective then say a 15-20th pick from the 2006 draft from 2007 to 2011, then by all means do not do the trade. If you beleive it is more likely, that the draft pick has more value in that period, then you do that trade. And it does not have to be a 2006 pick, it can be a younger player in the league right now, who is not established.

I think the young player or pick is more likely to be better over the COURSE of 2007-2011. That is why do the trade.

If you have no concept of the success cycle of a franchise, then you should not be calling people crazy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts