Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well of course that year, we drafted Nenad Krstic.

At the time, this is what was said of Krstic.

Strengths: One of the "TOP Secrets" in Europe! He is a true talent, a hot prospect of Yugoslavian basketball that is developing year after year. This kid is just over 18 years old, plays for Partizan Belgrade (the president of this team is Vlade Divac ! ), is a PF/C in 6'11 and about 204-210 pounds with smooth moves, a great leaper with some fair dribbling skills. He has a face up jumper to 15 feet, he is very very active on the offensive glass. Has very long arms and runs the court well. He is a capable shotblocker with great fundamental skills and all around style of game.

Weaknesses: He needs muscles, he has to be a weight-room-rat! Needs to build up his weight and work on his defense and passing skills. He is a foul prone, and currently shows some problems at the FT line.

Notes: One item of note, his agent just declared him for this year's draft in order to get him some attention. Most likely, he will withdraw this kid's draft declaration. Next year, he will be a first round pick if he shows the same work ethic and a bit more of his skills.

At the time, I wanted Woods to come to us, but he went a couple picks ahaead. I then wanted Prince, because he was a long skinny defender but has some offensive game. Well he went the pick ahead. so with those two gone, I wanted Vincent Yarbrough. Reading his profile, it said he was a mean streak away from being DOMINANT. I watched his game and I thought he'd be a good guy for us...6'7" SG/SF who had potential to take over games. I also liked Rod Grizzard...needless to say they are nowhere to be found now lol...

Well it wasn't meant to be...we drafted Krstic, which at the time I was pissed. See everyone was saying that he was going to stay in Europe to get some more seasoning before he's ready to contribute. UGH! I was madd. Apparantly, the Spurs (or Kings) were set on taking Krstic for the same reason. Both were teams who didn't need immediate help and could affort to wait.

Most of this is jibber jabber because I wanted you guys to really look at what was said of Krstic during 2002...

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
I remember reading pretty much the same thing. I wasn't too surprised, as the Nets had been rolling along, with little (or so I thought) need for another impact player at that time. The scouts called this one right, and it is sooooooo nice for the Nets.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Mogriffjr said:
Notes: One item of note, his agent just declared him for this year's draft in order to get him some attention. Most likely, he will withdraw this kid's draft declaration. Next year, he will be a first round pick if he shows the same work ethic and a bit more of his skills.
Ah, I guess his agent forgot to take him out... LOL

-Petey

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Petey said:
Ah, I guess his agent forgot to take him out... LOL

-Petey

LOL...

I remember at draft time, it was said he was guaranteed to be picked by the Kings. I think that's why he stayed in the 1st round. Add to the fact the Nets jumped on him first as the surprise (and the fact the Kings weren't expecting this) was just good...

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Vlade was trying to sneak him to the Kings before anyone could find out about him, but the Spurs and Nets found out about him. I had read about him and that the Kings and Spurs were interested, and that he was a great Center prospect, esp. offensively. Hell, who doesn't want that. I was pretty stoked when the Nets drafted him. Those from nj.com may remember the long series of 'Krstic... I Believe!!!!' posts from last year.

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
They really overrated his athleticism. I don't believe Krstic is a great leaper, by any standard.

lmao @ his breakaway layup last game. I know he just missed a step, but that was embarrassing.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
7M3 said:
They really overrated his athleticism. I don't believe Krstic is a great leaper, by any standard.

lmao @ his breakaway layup last game. I know he just missed a step, but that was embarrassing.
They definitely oversold the athleticism, but when he weighed about 40 pounds less, he may have been able to jump higher. And he's plenty quick enough to become a solid defender at the 5 spot and get out on the break beating the opposing centers down the court.

The biggest thing he could improve upon athletically is to becomes a quicker more powerful jumper. It takes him a little while sometimes to get going in an upward direction, and he doesn't jump as well on the run. Some lower body strength should improve that.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Mogriffjr said:
LOL...

I remember at draft time, it was said he was guaranteed to be picked by the Kings. I think that's why he stayed in the 1st round. Add to the fact the Nets jumped on him first as the surprise (and the fact the Kings weren't expecting this) was just good...
Haha, instead they wound up with Dickau, the Spurs drafted Salmons, neither of whom are with their teams now.

And Prince going right before Krstic, what strong late picks.

-Petey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts