Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts while staying home. There is no doubt the pandemic and resultant cancellation of many conference tourneys along with the NCAA Tourney will have a negative economic impact on colleges/universities and I suspect the pinch will be felt a bit more by the loss of 'credits' to the schools receiving the auto bid from conferences like the NEC, Patriot etc. Closer to some of our hearts, for the Dayton Flyers the premature end to the season was a blow below the belt. There were no super-duper teams that were odds on favorites to cut down the nets when the Dance ended. Dayton was thought by most to be a one seed, they had not lost a game in regulation all season, had a veteran team, and the POY in Obi Toppin. It's not often a team from the A-10 can say all that. Sure, they could've lost their first game in the Dance, but they also had a better shot than most in winning the whole thing. It would've been great not only for Dayton, but conference members would've benefited from the publicity,and it wouldn't have hurt recruiting either.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I'll bite. It does suck for UD, the conference, fans of the traditional underdog type. If UD had made a FF with 3 blue bloods, there would be a lot of fan bases pulling for the Flyers. I hear stuff like, how can you be pissed about sports at a time like this, blah blah fucking blah. It's OK to be pissed. It's OK to wish the Mets were playing. That the Stanley Cup playoff were underway. That there would be a US Open on Father's Day. It's OK for HS seniors to be mad. Missing prom, missing sports, missing graduation. Most HS athletes don't go on to play in college, there was no next season. 1/3 of graduates aren't going to college.. for them and their families this was a proud achievement, often the highest academic achievement they'll experience and one of the most difficult things they worked at to accomplish - to get an online "hurray" on the school facebook page? Yeah, fuck that.

So College Hoops, I hear you. Everyone is missing out on something somewhere, but it doesn't mean that each individual's "something" isn't important. 2020 can get the boot.

·
Piker
9,213 Posts
I was joking. It sucks. 2019-20 was a wash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts