Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barring some kind of miracle the Toronto Raptors will miss the playoffs for a third straight season. The reasons why are numerous, in fact a novel could be written on the flaws of the entire organization.

But rather than use this space to rehash what has already been written and said, I am going to give you a few reasons for hope and optimism. A few reasons to keep watching even though the outcome of the games will be all but meaningless by the time they return from their road trip.

First and foremost Chris Bosh is the number one cause for hope with this team. Having just turned 21, Bosh has made huge strides since the Vince Carter trade and will continue to get better. The best news for Raptor fans is that he isn't going anywhere for at least the next two years and if you believe what he says, Bosh has no plans of running away when he gets the chance.

Jalen Rose wanted to be an All Star this season but got off to a terrible start. He was benched a few times during the early part of the season and was in one trade rumor after another. He also makes close to 15 million dollars this season. But rather than focus on that lets look at the fact he's scored more than 20 points 29 time this season, has taken over games in the fourth quarter and unlike some former Raptors, will play through pain. Like Bosh, Rose will also be a Raptor again next season, giving the team a pretty decent 1-2 scoring punch.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/columnist.jsp?content=20050328_105949_5208

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Somewhat of an optimistic article.
I'm pretty sure we've known for awhile now that the Raptors wouldn't make the playoffs, it's just fun to watch those guys develop. This team has made a lot of strides since early on in the year, and you can see that the they are playing a lot more like an actual team right now.

I remember when Jalen was telling everyone how it was his goal to become an All Star this year, unfortunately he didn't have a very good start to the season. However, since the VC trade, he's become a totally different player. He's been a great leader, a big presence both on and off the court, not to mention the fact that he's really stepped up when the team needed him most. If Jalen Rose played this way in the first half of the season, he would definately have received some All Star consideration. Maybe next year JR.

Overall it's been a heck of a season, and there are still quite a few games left to play. Instead of feeling sorry for this team, because they haven't made it to the playoffs in three years, Raptors fans should enjoy what they are seeing right now, this has been a very exciting season, and with the rapid development of our players, it should get even better.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
its refreshing to read this article...finnaly someone wrote something good about this team..that i and this entire board are preaching...for a long time....and everything he has said it true...there are is a bright light at the end of this tunnel...and that light may be a little dim at this point...but some next season i think we will make HUGE strides and get closer and closer to the light...and Chris Bosh is getting us there....

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
he broke down the Carter trade as Vince for two bit players and a guy being paid to play elsewhere

if your trying to write a glass-half-full article, you might want to mention the picks that came back

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
ansoncarter said:
he broke down the Carter trade as Vince for two bit players and a guy being paid to play elsewhere

if your trying to write a glass-half-full article, you might want to mention the picks that came back
I don't think there is a single writer in Toronto who places any value at all on those picks. They are almost always omitted from a discussion of the Carter trade, or mentioned as if they were late second-round, worthless picks.

The fact that these writers don't appreciate the picks shows how little attention they've been paying to the NBA in recent years.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
speedythief said:
I don't think there is a single writer in Toronto who places any value at all on those picks. They are almost always omitted from a discussion of the Carter trade, or mentioned as if they were late second-round, worthless picks.

The fact that these writers don't appreciate the picks shows how little attention they've been paying to the NBA in recent years.
Maple Leaf Mentality.

·
Registered
379 Posts
speedythief said:

blowuptheraptors said:
Maple Leaf Mentality.
Yeah, those writers are used to the abysmal track record of drafting in the Leafs organization, so they tend to write off draft picks. But the Raptors track record of drafting guys isn't much better, particularly outside the top 5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts