6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jazz agree to terms with Cheaney
by
HOOPSWORLD.com
Jul 25, 2002, 9:13pm
Print this article
Email this article

Vice President of Basketball Operations, Kevin O'Connor, announced today that the Jazz have come to terms for a contract agreement with free agent guard Calbert Cheaney.

Cheaney will arrive in Salt Lake City Monday for a physical. Pending successful completion of his physical examination, he will sign his contract Monday or early Tuesday.

Cheaney saw action in 68 games earning 47 starts for Denver last season averaging 7.3 points and 3.5 rebounds in 24.0 minutes. In his nine year NBA career, Cheaney has seen action in 568 games and has averaged 10.9 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 568 games.

Originally selected by Washington in the 1993 NBA Draft (sixth pick overall), Cheaney has played for Washington, Boston and Denver.

LINK- http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_644.shtml

I think this is a good pick up... hge can play SF/SG and will be solid especially if Marshall leaves

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think Cheaney is an OK pickup but I am not expecting a lot. I am expecting Cheaney to be Byron Russell. If you look over their career numbers there is little difference. Cheaney FG% is 3 %points better but Russell's 3 PT% is better. Russell averaged slightly better assists and rebounds. We let Russell go and got a similiar player for $1M. If Russell wouldn't sign for $1M then it is a good transaction. If he would then it is a wash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts