Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Is no one slightly worried about Loyola. Yes, they've been great the past four years, but still only two NCAA trips in the last 40 years.

While being a big school, they don't draw well, so while Chicago is obviously a great market, not sure they necessarily deliver it to us.

Are we going to add another MVC? Say UNI or Drake?

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,969 Posts
I don't like it. Another George Mason.
Ehhhhh… not exactly. This is the country’s second largest market, and there is no redundant residing member already in the league (as was the case with GW-GMU). Easy travel in and out. If nothing else, it’s good for every member’s recruiting. I’m sure UD and SLU are especially pleased.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Is no one slightly worried about Loyola. Yes, they've been great the past four years, but still only two NCAA trips in the last 40 years.

While being a big school, they don't draw well, so while Chicago is obviously a great market, not sure they necessarily deliver it to us.

Are we going to add another MVC? Say UNI or Drake?
The reason to have confidence in them is because of their A10. #1, he was pushing for A-10 membership for a while now. #2, he was the guy who hired Porter Moser, who led them to the Final Four and the Sweet 16. #3, Before he was at Loyola, he was the AD at... St. Bonaventure, and he hired Mark Schmidt. So you trust his coaching hire skillz.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Ehhhhh… not exactly. This is the country’s second largest market, and there is no redundant residing member already in the league (as was the case with GW-GMU). If nothing else, it’s good for every member’s recruiting.
Markets don't matter. Mason sucked after larranga left and weren't good before him. Same with Loyola Chicago and Moser.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,969 Posts
Markets don't matter. Mason sucked after larranga left and weren't good before him. Same with Loyola Chicago and Moser.
I agree they don’t matter much for a non-football league like the A10; however, Chicago is a very good area to have footing. Across all athletics programs, this will be a welcome addition for recruiting purposes. It also might yield us a few extra pesos when we negotiate our next set of deals with ESPN, NBC, and CBS.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Ehhhhh… not exactly. This is the country’s second largest market, and there is no redundant residing member already in the league (as was the case with GW-GMU). Easy travel in and out. If nothing else, it’s good for every member’s recruiting. I’m sure UD and SLU are especially pleased.
I‘m not sure that Loyola was absolutely needed but you‘re 100% correct that UD and SLU’s administrators like this move. The league needs to keep its two western most schools happy. I can’t imagine UD being remotely pleased with the league adding another east coast school not named Temple.

Before disparaging this move based on what Loyola’s record was 30 years ago posters should look at the facilities that this school built over the last 10 years. Easily in the top 4 in the A10. They are committed and financially secure. IMO this is a much better acquisition than Mason or Davidson.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Whoa. Didn't see that one coming. Someone from Indiana to fill in the geographic gap? Neither Valpo, Indiana State nor Evansville really move the needle, though.

And zoinks, I have to dust off the Membership Timeline!

Oh, and it's good to see the Jesuit flank reinforced! ;)😁

1 - 20 of 129 Posts