Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Best rambling song of all-time and do not argue with me about it. The Allman Brothers with Dickey Betts were the best.
No, the Allmans with Duane and Berry were the best. After Duane died, it wasn't the same.

As for Ramblin' songs, what about

Ramble On - Zeppelin
Ramble On Rose - Dead
Ramble Tamble - CCR
Ramblin' On My Mind - Robert Johnson
I'm A Ramblin' Man - Waylon
My Mind Is Ramblin - Junior Kimbrough

But the best:

·
Piker
10,593 Posts
No, the Allmans with Duane and Berry were the best. After Duane died, it wasn't the same.

As for Ramblin' songs, what about

Ramble On - Zeppelin
Ramble On Rose - Dead
Ramble Tamble - CCR
Ramblin' On My Mind - Robert Johnson
I'm A Ramblin' Man - Waylon
My Mind Is Ramblin - Junior Kimbrough

But the best:
I almost went with Zeppelin but the guys from Macon, Georgia have it locked down for me.

Oh and when I visited Memphis I went to a bar to see Junior Kimbrough. He was late for the show. He sat on a chair with one shoe off and jammed for hours. My lord that was a show.

Reactions: JonBoy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I almost went with Zeppelin but the guys from Macon, Georgia have it locked down for me.

Oh and when I visited Memphis I went to a bar to see Junior Kimbrough. He was late for the show. He sat on a chair with one shoe off and jammed for hours. My lord that was a show.
That's cool as hell. He was one of the best.

And no knock on the Allmans. Duane and Dickey were the best guitar combo ever.

·
Piker
10,593 Posts
That's cool as hell. He was one of the best.

And no knock on the Allmans. Duane and Dickey were the best guitar combo ever.
I mean if you were to knock the Allman Brothers I would have to cancel you. Oh and I have been blessed with some blues moments from Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown to BB King to Junior Kimbrough to Buddy Guy.

Reactions: JonBoy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Loyola sucks already? Looks like I found my first A10 kook.
I think it's fair to critique any move the conference makes.

As you can probably tell by now, we have a history of adding team pretty soon after they make deep runs in the tournament.

While this worked out with VCU, it has not yet worked for George Mason.

I think a lot of A10 fans only want to add a school that’ll be perennially at the top of the conference and making deep NCAA runs virtually every year like Xavier did before they left, but that type of school does not exist.

Like with anything, people are very polarized on this move. Some think LUC will be an absolute force in the conference for years to come while others think you’ll be a GMU 2.0. Both views are likely invalid.

Here’s why people are skeptical of the move: Average budget, smaller fanbase, success only sustained under one coach with one player and only two NCAA trips in 40 years.

Here’s why people like the move: Great school, strong recent success, located in one of the best cities in the World, and it appears you are committing to your athletic program.

While I don’t expect your club to be top 2 or 3 perennially, I think you should be top half most years and pushing for an NCAA bid every few years. Very similar to what Davidson has done since joining the A10 and what most programs do on a consistent basis save three programs.

So long as you win your OOC games at a high clip most years, no one will complain.

Welcome to the conference!

·
Piker
10,593 Posts
I think it's fair to critique any move the conference makes.

As you can probably tell by now, we have a history of adding team pretty soon after they make deep runs in the tournament.

While this worked out with VCU, it has not yet worked for George Mason.

I think a lot of A10 fans only want to add a school that’ll be perennially at the top of the conference and making deep NCAA runs virtually every year like Xavier did before they left, but that type of school does not exist.

Like with anything, people are very polarized on this move. Some think LUC will be an absolute force in the conference for years to come while others think you’ll be a GMU 2.0. Both views are likely invalid.

Here’s why people are skeptical of the move: Average budget, smaller fanbase, success only sustained under one coach with one player and only two NCAA trips in 40 years.

Here’s why people like the move: Great school, strong recent success, located in one of the best cities in the World, and it appears you are committing to your athletic program.

While I don’t expect your club to be top 2 or 3 perennially, I think you should be top half most years and pushing for an NCAA bid every few years. Very similar to what Davidson has done since joining the A10 and what most programs do on a consistent basis save three programs.

So long as you win your OOC games at a high clip most years, no one will complain.

Welcome to the conference!
I have a friend that was one of the main guys that began talks with the A10 and helped facilitate the VCU move. He told me once that programs and conferences consider every option open while not showing their cards. You explore programs without regard to the number of conference members and make it work if you think a program can add value. I am sure the membership committee is still considering options. The big question is will the A10 remain at 15 or move toward more expansion or move the number of universities down to 14.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have a friend that was one of the main guys that began talks with the A10 and helped facilitate the VCU move. He told me once that programs and conferences consider every option open while not showing their cards. You explore programs without regard to the number of conference members and make it work if you think a program can add value. I am sure the membership committee is still considering options. The big question is will the A10 remain at 15 or move toward more expansion or move the number of universities down to 14.
Is this something the A10 can do? Move the number down? I can see scenarios of a couple of teams leaving for various reasons, but not the league doing so.

·
Piker
10,593 Posts
Is this something the A10 can do? Move the number down? I can see scenarios of a couple of teams leaving for various reasons, but not the league doing so.
It would not be a case of the A10 moving down but programs such as UMass wanting to find a football home or another program deciding financially another situation better serves their school. I was not implying that the A10 would boot anyone. Bernie and the committee are in the know.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I understand the skeptical viewpoint of "are they more like VCU/Davidson or more like George Mason?" Mason had success under one coach, who moved on and the program hasn't matched that level.

Loyola's history prior to Moser wasn't great in modern times. Very Duquesne like.

But the reason to not look down at this move as a short-sighted move that's tied to one coach and not a program is the Loyola AD, Steve Watson.

It's the guy who hired Mark Schmidt at Bonaventure and set Bonas on their path and look how that's gone 14 years later. It's the same guy who was #3 at Dayton in the late 90s/early 2000s when they emerged from the Great Midwest debacle to be a strong A-10 program.

Loyola is one of us because they've spent the last 8 years BECOMING ONE OF US by committing to facilities, increasing their staff, upping their budget. They know what being an A-10 program is all about.

Just look at how their invitation was handled: Zero word leaked until it was a done deal. That doesn't happen without the trust and relationships Watson has with the A-10 already.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,965 Posts
Did anyone else find it a touch bush league that someone leaked that somewhat disparaging La Salle stuff to Dana O’Neil? Is Bernadette trying to pressure the Explorer brass or something? I don’t like it one bit. It’s all too easy for people to periodically isolate one or two member(s) as “the problem” in a conference. We need to keep plugging away, as we seem to be, in insulating ourselves from future raiding (Big East isn’t taking LUC down the line because of DePaul).

·
Piker
10,593 Posts
Did anyone else find it a touch bush league that someone leaked that somewhat disparaging La Salle stuff to Dana O’Neil? Is Bernadette trying to pressure the Explorer brass or something? I don’t like it one bit. It’s all too easy for people to periodically isolate one or two member(s) as “the problem” in a conference. We need to keep plugging away, as we seem to be, in insulating ourselves from future raiding (Big East isn’t taking LUC down the line because of DePaul).
Can you tell me what was said? I do not have a subscription to the Athletic.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I understand the skeptical viewpoint of "are they more like VCU/Davidson or more like George Mason?" Mason had success under one coach, who moved on and the program hasn't matched that level.

Loyola's history prior to Moser wasn't great in modern times. Very Duquesne like.

But the reason to not look down at this move as a short-sighted move that's tied to one coach and not a program is the Loyola AD, Steve Watson.

It's the guy who hired Mark Schmidt at Bonaventure and set Bonas on their path and look how that's gone 14 years later. It's the same guy who was #3 at Dayton in the late 90s/early 2000s when they emerged from the Great Midwest debacle to be a strong A-10 program.

Loyola is one of us because they've spent the last 8 years BECOMING ONE OF US by committing to facilities, increasing their staff, upping their budget. They know what being an A-10 program is all about.

Just look at how their invitation was handled: Zero word leaked until it was a done deal. That doesn't happen without the trust and relationships Watson has with the A-10 already.
JP are you sure about Watson being #3 at UD? You would know, but his name doesn’t sound familiar to me. Dave Harper at Duquesne held that spot at UD and was elevated to lead the University’s Development area before moving to Pittsburgh

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
JP are you sure about Watson being #3 at UD? You would know, but his name doesn’t sound familiar to me. Dave Harper at Duquesne held that spot at UD and was elevated to lead the University’s Development area before moving to Pittsburgh
This stuff is easy to find. From Loyola Athletics:
"Prior to Eastern Michigan, Watson served as the director of marketing and promotions at the University of Dayton (1999-2001) after getting his start in intercollegiate athletics as a marketing assistant at the University of Georgia (1998-99)."

Jaffie, you'd know better than any of us if "director of marketing and promotions" is the #3.

·
Piker
10,593 Posts
Loyola sucks already? Looks like I found my first A10 kook.
Don't worry about it. SJHawk and others hated when VCU joined. They put up with me these days but they did not roll out the welcome matt. Heck, everyone for the most part is happy with this compared to back when the conference was losing X and Temple. The Butler add helped VCU but then they left after one year. It became quite a hornets net of angst back then.

61 - 80 of 128 Posts