Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
JP are you sure about Watson being #3 at UD? You would know, but his name doesn’t sound familiar to me. Dave Harper at Duquesne held that spot at UD and was elevated to lead the University’s Development area before moving to Pittsburgh
I used #3 loosely. Dave Harper and Steve Watson were basically among the core leaders under Ted Kissel and his #2 Tim Wabler. There was probably about 5 people as "co-number threes" But the point remains:

Dayton upped their game in that era; highlighted by a renovation of UD Arena (not the latest one, the previous one), built new soccer/basketball/softball facilities, updated volleyball arena/basketball practice arena; increased staff and budget.

Watson's done the same thing at Bona and Loyola, and Harper's doing the same things at Duquesne.

I have no problem accepting Loyola is "one of us." Doesn't mean I'm predicting Final Fours and Sweet 16s and zero down years. I'm just saying there's no miscommunication or uncertainty with who the A-10 is vs what Loyola is trying to be. They are "one of us" and I don't mean "active members," I mean "one of us."

(For you younger, tiktok generation, they understand the assignment.)

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,965 Posts
Steve Watson can hang. When Andrew Nicholson blazed through the 2012 A10 Tournament in Atlantic City, we had more than a few cocktails… off the boardwalk. That’s where things get GREASY in AC. The strip joints make you leave your cell phone in a cubby at the front desk (Watson didn’t accompany us on that stop).

·
Registered
110 Posts
But the reason to not look down at this move as a short-sighted move that's tied to one coach and not a program is the Loyola AD, Steve Watson.

It's the guy who hired Mark Schmidt at Bonaventure and set Bonas on their path and look how that's gone 14 years later. It's the same guy who was #3 at Dayton in the late 90s/early 2000s when they emerged from the Great Midwest debacle to be a strong A-10 program.
I love Watson, but I think you're giving him a bit too much credit for Bona, UD and LUC.

Schmidt wasn't Watson's first, second or third choice. If I recall correctly, Will Brown, Joe Mihalic and Jeff Neubauer were ahead of Schmidt on the list for Anthony Solomon's replacement.

Luck had a lot to do with getting Schmidt, and thank the good Lord we hired him AND stuck with him.

Regarding his stint at Dayton, he worked in marketing and promotions. Not exactly the guy calling the shots for the program’s directions.

Lastly, at LUC they were already in the Valley before his arrival in Chicago during the 2014-2015 season.

Moser was entering his fourth season in Rogers Park during SW’s first year. Even though they weren’t great the three year’s prior, they did win the CBI that year, which obviously bought PM some time.

Shoot, even the funding for the Gentile Arena and practice facility started before his arrival.

Luck and being in the right place at the right time has served Watson well. I am not sure you can make him out as some genius/elite AD.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
This stuff is easy to find. From Loyola Athletics:
"Prior to Eastern Michigan, Watson served as the director of marketing and promotions at the University of Dayton (1999-2001) after getting his start in intercollegiate athletics as a marketing assistant at the University of Georgia (1998-99)."

Jaffie, you'd know better than any of us if "director of marketing and promotions" is the #3.
I actually did some cursory research and couldn’t find that nugget of information. No, Director of Marketing and Promotions would not have been #3 especially in 99 thru 01. JP knows this shit though, so I thought he was referring to Dave Harper who many thought would be next in line to be AD. Harper was very well thought of at UD - great fundraiser.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I love Watson, but I think you're giving him a bit too much credit for Bona, UD and LUC.

Schmidt wasn't Watson's first, second or third choice. If I recall correctly, Will Brown, Joe Mihalic and Jeff Neubauer were ahead of Schmidt on the list for Anthony Solomon's replacement.

Luck had a lot to do with getting Schmidt, and thank the good Lord we hired him AND stuck with him.

Regarding his stint at Dayton, he worked in marketing and promotions. Not exactly the guy calling the shots for the program’s directions.

Lastly, at LUC they were already in the Valley before his arrival in Chicago during the 2014-2015 season.

Moser was entering his fourth season in Rogers Park during SW’s first year. Even though they weren’t great the three year’s prior, they did win the CBI that year, which obviously bought PM some time.

Shoot, even the funding for the Gentile Arena and practice facility started before his arrival.

Luck and being in the right place at the right time has served Watson well. I am not sure you can make him out as some genius/elite AD.

I think you're inferring a lot from my post. I don't recall elite, genius, or whatever. There's a long way to go for all of us, and them. (I'm stoked the Bonnies are ranked, but we still need to, you know, actually FREAKING WIN NCAA GAMES REPEATEDLY and repeat that multiple times in order to be who we want to be).

But there's a difference between a school that's just going through the motions; and one who has a vision: Control what you can control, build amenities that bring in recruits and donors, increased excitement instead of stagnancy.

They are one of us, and we can help each other.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
So I am reading Loyola message boards instead of being productive at work and came across this nugget …

“I can see that perspective I just think if we can assume we will remain on top in the Valley despite all the unknowns no reason not to assume we can topple the A10 in the same way we did the Valley”

Next thing will be a bunch of Loyola posters coming on this forum and claiming the “Preseason Championship”.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So I am reading Loyola message boards instead of being productive at work and came across this nugget …

“I can see that perspective I just think if we can assume we will remain on top in the Valley despite all the unknowns no reason not to assume we can topple the A10 in the same way we did the Valley”

Next thing will be a bunch of Loyola posters coming on this forum and claiming the “Preseason Championship”.
There's always fans like that in every board. Some seemed level headed and approached the move like Davidson fans did.

Harder conference = less wins
less wins = less NCAA trips

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think you're inferring a lot from my post. I don't recall elite, genius, or whatever. There's a long way to go for all of us, and them. (I'm stoked the Bonnies are ranked, but we still need to, you know, actually FREAKING WIN NCAA GAMES REPEATEDLY and repeat that multiple times in order to be who we want to be).

But there's a difference between a school that's just going through the motions; and one who has a vision: Control what you can control, build amenities that bring in recruits and donors, increased excitement instead of stagnancy.

It sounded like you believe Watson is directly responsible for the success at Bona, Dayton and LUC. Only two of which can be certain.

"It's the guy who hired Mark Schmidt at Bonaventure and set Bonas on their path and look how that's gone 14 years later. It's the same guy who was #3 at Dayton in the late 90s/early 2000s when they emerged from the Great Midwest debacle to be a strong A-10 program."

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

I couldn’t tell you what Watson was directly involved with at UD but he would have been in the athletic department when Ted Kissel completed the Donoher Center, instituted the Athletic Competitiveness Fund which at the time bank rolled infrastructure through private donations, the Coaches Corner program which was used to fund Oliver Purnell’s salary and the seat license program which funded the first Arena renovation project. A lot more has been put in place since Kissel’s retirement, but it was the groundwork for today’s UD’s corporate sponsorships, private donations and naming rights. Watson would have had exposure to that.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts