Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,965 Posts
Just a thought, and probably a bad one, but by bringing in Loyola, does the increased travel expense for schools give impetus or rationalization for a school(s) leaving the A-10?
It’s a super easy direct flight for everyone, so it could be hard to say. I doubt the coastal schools would be busing there, though.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yeah Chicago having more than one major airport makes it pretty simple. All in all this is a good add. Good market to be in, good team as of late, easy travels, another major population area to recruit out of. Buffs up our western wing a bit as well.

Not sure why anything about this would make teams want to leave.

I think it's something like 2:30 to fly there from Hartford for UMass (we charter out of a closer airport, but Hartford would be about the same travel time).

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I do not think it is enough to cause schools to leave the A10, but I do think it is an added expense in lesser sports, depending on how they work out the schedule. It can be something they think about if the talk is about also adding another school. I do think some schools might think of doing a cost benefit analysis in regards to the addition. If a school is in financial trouble, it might be a consideration.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I do not think it is enough to cause schools to leave the A10, but I do think it is an added expense in lesser sports, depending on how they work out the schedule. It can be something they think about if the talk is about also adding another school. I do think some schools might think of doing a cost benefit analysis in regards to the addition. If a school is in financial trouble, it might be a consideration.
Shouldn't really be an issue in the other sports, because we were only at 14 for basketball and women's soccer. Soccer only plays 10 conference games. Loyola could replace a closer/cheaper game on the schedule, but it takes three seasons to play everyone on the road once in WSoc, so it's not a significant additional expense.

Volleyball is now 10 teams instead of nine, so now they could do easy travel partners: SLU/Loyola, Dayton/Duquesne, VCU/Davidson, Mason/GW, Fordham/URI; which should save a couple bucks.

Men's Soccer is now at 14 instead of 13, so they can do divisions and shrink the conference slate to save money if necessary.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Shouldn't really be an issue in the other sports, because we were only at 14 for basketball and women's soccer. Soccer only plays 10 conference games. Loyola could replace a closer/cheaper game on the schedule, but it takes three seasons to play everyone on the road once in WSoc, so it's not a significant additional expense.

Volleyball is now 10 teams instead of nine, so now they could do easy travel partners: SLU/Loyola, Dayton/Duquesne, VCU/Davidson, Mason/GW, Fordham/URI; which should save a couple bucks.

Men's Soccer is now at 14 instead of 13, so they can do divisions and shrink the conference slate to save money if necessary.
That was already said in much fewer words.

That is why I said, "If a school is in financial trouble, it might be a consideration."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a little surprised at some of the posts regarding LUC joing the A10. It does not surprise me as when we joined the MVC, they were all moaning about taking us. All we did was save the MVC when WSU left and dominate the conference in just about every sport, not just men's basketball.

So go ahead and doubt us, but we run good programs, have gave great facilities, great fans and we are committed to getting better.

I fully expect in short order you will all change your minds on LUC.

·
Registered
St. Bonaventure
6,965 Posts
I am a little surprised at some of the posts regarding LUC joing the A10. It does not surprise me as when we joined the MVC, they were all moaning about taking us. All we did was save the MVC when WSU left and dominate the conference in just about every sport, not just men's basketball.

So go ahead and doubt us, but we run good programs, have gave great facilities, great fans and we are committed to getting better.

Leave us the fuck alone.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts

Good LUC with that!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Late to the party, but with the moves made by the A10, AAC and WCC, it looks like the Atlantic 10 schools will have the largest MBB budgets of all schools outside of the P5+BE.

A10 will be 7th in average spending at $5.0M.
AAC will drop to 8th from $6.5M to $4.81M.
WCC will drop to 9th from $4.89M to $4.67M
MWC will be 10th at $4.2M in spending.

Curious to see what adding six schools that have budgets that would be in the bottom of the A10 will fair in the AAC.

Not sure the AAC will be OK with having schools like UNT, UTSA and FAU spend less that $2.5 annually, which is less Marist, Manhattan and Rider.

Memphis and Wichita will likely be players every year, but what happens to SMU, Temple and Tulsa? Do they benefit from an easier schedule or are they hurt by what was lost and gained through expansion?

101 - 120 of 128 Posts