Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.maacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17400&ATCLID=205458105
On the subject of league realignment, the MAAC Presidents reiterated their long-term commitment to the 31-year-old conference that has focused on success in athletics with high standards of academic excellence and concern for student-athlete welfare. The league celebrated its first team national championship by a member school when Loyola University Maryland won the 2012 NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship, while the MAAC ranked in the top 10% of Division I conferences in the NCAA academic success metrics.

The MAAC Presidents noted their previously-stated willingness to consider expansion of the 10 teams within the MAAC with new member institutions that meet the conference's criteria including:

• Institutions that strive for success in academics and athletics
  • Institutions that share common admissions standards
  • Institutions that desire to expand their enrollment base beyond traditional local markets
  • Institutions that fund athletic programs within the same general expenditure range
  • Institutions that place a focus on student-athletes and their welfare
  • Institutions that feature basketball as their prominent sport
  • Institutions that place value on the use of broadcasting on multiple distribution platforms

·
6,100 Posts
Is the MAAC really claiming the lax championship? I'm sure the ECAC may have something to say about that.

That being said, I think NEC schools more fit the MAAC profile than any America East school.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
I love that the MAAC is focused on basketball, but that's about it. Even though we were in a conference with many of those schools a long time ago, UVM has next to nothing in common with any of the MAAC schools on multiple different levels so I don't see that happening (again).

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
If the MAAC is claiming Loyola as Lax Champion, how soon before the America East claims all of Maine and BU's hockey championships. Er, I mean Maine's.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That being said, I think NEC schools more fit the MAAC profile than any America East school.
I agree. There are 2 "big budget" MAAC basketball school - Fairfield and Siena. They rest of the league has athletic programs smaller than most NEC programs.

The MAAC's basketball RPI, ESPN exposure, and NCAA seeding has historically been much better than the NEC, so that of course is an improvement. But as you point out, they focus soley on hoops and have no athletic programs to speak of - the NEC schools actually have much better athletic programs in general.

Quinnipiac would dominate that league, if they wanted to, but I think they have probably higher expecations. Saint Francis PA would get slightly improved travel, and The Mount could pair up with Loyola. But generally, I don't think any of the existing NEC schools would be seriously interested in the MAAC over the NEC.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I wouldnt see any Aeast schools interested in the MAAC. But I wish the Aeast would take a page out of the MAAC's playbook and add some schools!

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the MAAC is claiming Loyola as Lax Champion, how soon before the America East claims all of Maine and BU's hockey championships. Er, I mean Maine's.
The MAAC as a conference isn't really saying they won the Lax championship - what they are saying (or were) is that a MAAC school won the National Championship and IMO Loyola is (was) a MAAC school. Think Harvard considers themselves an ECAC school or an Ivy School that happens to compete in the ECAC Hockey conference.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Andy Katz (I know, I know):

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/63425/3-point-shot-asu-to-add-musselman

A source said Wednesday that La Salle would have no interest in going back to the MAAC from the A-10, despite having much more success in the former league. The MAAC should focus on getting Quinnipiac or Monmouth as a replacement for Loyola. Both schools have poured money into athletic department facilities. Either one would be a good fit for the MAAC. The other option could be Albany, but I’m not sure Siena would be on board considering the two schools share the same city. Stony Brook would be a great get but the Seawolves seem poised to make a bigger jump at some point if they leave. The MAAC board of directors will meet Tuesday to discuss Loyola’s exit and likely realignment issues.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Albany and Stony Brook??? They guy is baked.
Both UA and SBU wouldn't literally roll that conference...no one else would come close to sniffing a commissioner cup. On an equal recruiting playing field and better facilities then most of the MAAC they would catch up basketball wise as well. It would be a bad move for the MAAC.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Both UA and SBU wouldn't literally roll that conference...no one else would come close to sniffing a commissioner cup. On an equal recruiting playing field and better facilities then most of the MAAC they would catch up basketball wise as well. It would be a bad move for the MAAC.
It would be a worse move for Albany and Stony Brook.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
If the MAAC is capable of adding any school outside of a school from the NEC, I'll give someone one US Dollar.

Seriously, unless a school like a LaSalle downgrades...(St. Bonaventure? maybe) then I don't know who they would "attract" outside of the NEC

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
If the MAAC is capable of adding any school outside of a school from the NEC, I'll give someone one US Dollar.

Seriously, unless a school like a LaSalle downgrades...(St. Bonaventure? maybe) then I don't know who they would "attract" outside of the NEC
NJIT. I'll send you a pm with my address for the dollar. Don't get cute and send me 100 pennies either...

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Right, but he points out why it wouldn't happen. In a vacuum, they would be great gets.
He says it wouldn't happen because Siena would block it, not because Albany doesn't (I hope) have the slightest inkling of moving there.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
NJIT. I'll send you a pm with my address for the dollar. Don't get cute and send me 100 pennies either...
LoL, when I wrote that I was thinking I should put *except NJIT/ Indy's. Guess I should have.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts