Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the MAAC season officially over, I thought I would give a couple thoughts on this year and a look to next. First, I think this was the best the MAAC has looked in a while. Iona had two great OOC road wins and looked great in the MAAC tourney (and the first 25 minutes against LSU), Manhattan played a tough schedule, made a nice run in the NIT, got to 20 wins, and won the regular season, Marist made great strides and look like they will be a force next year, and Siena's improvement was one of the best in the nation and Fran's new K gives their program stability and a return to good days. Congrats to Keekee for getting his 3,000- a well deserved honor and the cupboard in Jersey City is not as bare as I thought it would be. Patsos has turned Loyola around and, if you believe MacDog, the transfers coming in are all pretty good. Fairfield and Canisius had tough years and get to start over with new staffs and Niagara struggled having lost Mendez et al but should be a factor next year.

I think the MAAC needs to keep scheduling quality OOC teams and beating the low majors that are on the schedule. Manhattan should enter as the favorite next year especially if Bobby returns with Marist, Siena, and Niagara definite factors as well. Hopefully Iona gets good quickly and doesn't have a crapy OOC season before turning it on with all their young talent. Should be an interesting off season.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I agree the MAAC is looking better than it has the past few seasons. However it is clear that peer leagues like the CAA, Horizon, MAC, and WCC are passing the MAAC by. The MAAC members need to take steps to remain competitive. The budgets seem to be similar, yet these leagues are getting it done on the court in ways the MAAC is not. One area of concern has been inferior coaching, but with all the recent turnover, it appears that factor is being taken care of. Kudos to Canisius for having the cojones to actually fire a coach. I would have never expected that level of commitment from them. Another difference I see between the MAAC and the aforementioned leagues is recruiting. We all seem to recruit from the same well, but they appear to be getting more athletic and bigger players. Why is a team like ODU considerably larger than Manhattan up front? Why is Albany getting a 6'11, 250 lb. 3-star center next season and Siena couldn't find one? Enough with all the guards MAAC members, let's get some good big men!

Finally, there is the issue of facilities. Most of the teams in the aforementioned leagues play in excellent facilities, even the smaller private ones. I think the MAAC schools have to re-assess their commitment to athletic infrastructure. Currently only two MAAC schools play in modern facilites with all chairback seating and capaciites of more than 3,000. Kinda of hard to beat out some of these other schools for recruits when you show them they'll be playing in a carbon copy of their high school gym if they come to your school. Also, it is impossible to get a home game with a high-major, thus greatly reducing the chance for some good OOC wins.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Sienafan said:
I agree the MAAC is looking better than it has the past few seasons. However it is clear that peer leagues like the CAA, Horizon, MAC, and WCC are passing the MAAC by. The MAAC members need to take steps to remain competitive. The budgets seem to be similar, yet these leagues are getting it done on the court in ways the MAAC is not. One area of concern has been inferior coaching, but with all the recent turnover, it appears that factor is being taken care of. Kudos to Canisius for having the cojones to actually fire a coach. I would have never expected that level of commitment from them. Another difference I see between the MAAC and the aforementioned leagues is recruiting. We all seem to recruit from the same well, but they appear to be getting more athletic and bigger players. Why is a team like ODU considerably larger than Manhattan up front? Why is Albany getting a 6'11, 250 lb. 3-star center next season and Siena couldn't find one? Enough with all the guards MAAC members, let's get some good big men!

Finally, there is the issue of facilities. Most of the teams in the aforementioned leagues play in excellent facilities, even the smaller private ones. I think the MAAC schools have to re-assess their commitment to athletic infrastructure. Currently only two MAAC schools play in modern facilites with all chairback seating and capaciites of more than 3,000. Kinda of hard to beat out some of these other schools for recruits when you show them they'll be playing in a carbon copy of their high school gym if they come to your school. Also, it is impossible to get a home game with a high-major, thus greatly reducing the chance for some good OOC wins.

To be fair, some recruits that manhattan brings in - their high school gym is better than ours :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sienafan said:

I agree with you about the size thing. MAAC schools rarely get the 6'10 guy. I agree with you to a certain extent about the facilities, but that's not going to change. Small private schools just don't have the money to upgrade their facilities. I applaud Siena for what they have been able to do but they were the only school in Albany playing D1 b-ball when they moved into the Pepsi. St. Joe's has been able to get to national prominence playing in a bandbox. The difference is that they use the Palestra or Wachovia for some games. The NY schools need to get creative and try and get the Garden. I don't know how but figure it out. Manhattan used to play 1-2 OOC games in the Garden when Bobby first got there. Now there's none.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Smithy1966 said:
With the MAAC season officially over, I thought I would give a couple thoughts on this year and a look to next. First, I think this was the best the MAAC has looked in a while. Iona had two great OOC road wins and looked great in the MAAC tourney (and the first 25 minutes against LSU), Manhattan played a tough schedule, made a nice run in the NIT, got to 20 wins, and won the regular season, Marist made great strides and look like they will be a force next year, and Siena's improvement was one of the best in the nation and Fran's new K gives their program stability and a return to good days. Congrats to Keekee for getting his 3,000- a well deserved honor and the cupboard in Jersey City is not as bare as I thought it would be. Patsos has turned Loyola around and, if you believe MacDog, the transfers coming in are all pretty good. Fairfield and Canisius had tough years and get to start over with new staffs and Niagara struggled having lost Mendez et al but should be a factor next year.

I think the MAAC needs to keep scheduling quality OOC teams and beating the low majors that are on the schedule. Manhattan should enter as the favorite next year especially if Bobby returns with Marist, Siena, and Niagara definite factors as well. Hopefully Iona gets good quickly and doesn't have a crapy OOC season before turning it on with all their young talent. Should be an interesting off season.
I agree. In relative terms it was a surprisingly good season for the MAAC.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Sienafan said:

I agree w/ most of what you said above...The difference between the majors and the mids is about 2 or 3 inches in height of the forwards...When Manhattan beat Oklahoma, they had some legit big guys in there (Marshall, Hoover)...Even when they beat Florida in '04, Holmes and Benton were good enough despite giving up size...Though they got lucky in terms of matchups there, whereas Iona this year got a brutal draw...This the same ODU team that nearly beat Michigan State last year in the 1st round, they have 3 legit big guys, none of them are from this country, so Blaine Taylor obviously did his homework and has been rewarded handsomely...If you can find a good one, like O'Bryant on Bradley, or Lewis on George Mason, or Miller of Wichita State, you can do some things...Can't answer the ? on the Albany incoming center, except to say in theory a 3 star center should dominate that conference...

As for the facilities, I don't think much of that will ever change...Basketball is huge in the smaller mid-west cities and they have the fan bases to support 10 k seat arenas...Most of the MAAC school show a desire to win (Iona locking up Ruland and Manhattan locking up Gonzo, etc...), it's just that Siena is really the only one (maybe Buffalo schools?) where an 8-12 k seat arena is financially feasible...There are enough people who are interested to fill it...The advantage that most of the MAAC schools have is they're close to big cities w/ big talent bases...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hoops131 said:
I agree w/ most of what you said above...The difference between the majors and the mids is about 2 or 3 inches in height of the forwards...When Manhattan beat Oklahoma, they had some legit big guys in there (Marshall, Hoover)...Even when they beat Florida in '04, Holmes and Benton were good enough despite giving up size...Though they got lucky in terms of matchups there, whereas Iona this year got a brutal draw...This the same ODU team that nearly beat Michigan State last year in the 1st round, they have 3 legit big guys, none of them are from this country, so Blaine Taylor obviously did his homework and has been rewarded handsomely...If you can find a good one, like O'Bryant on Bradley, or Lewis on George Mason, or Miller of Wichita State, you can do some things...Can't answer the ? on the Albany incoming center, except to say in theory a 3 star center should dominate that conference...

As for the facilities, I don't think much of that will ever change...Basketball is huge in the smaller mid-west cities and they have the fan bases to support 10 k seat arenas...Most of the MAAC school show a desire to win (Iona locking up Ruland and Manhattan locking up Gonzo, etc...), it's just that Siena is really the only one (maybe Buffalo schools?) where an 8-12 k seat arena is financially feasible...There are enough people who are interested to fill it...The advantage that most of the MAAC schools have is they're close to big cities w/ big talent bases...
Well said, but the problem is that probably 200 DI schools routinely recruit in the northeast. The competition is intense. Rider has made strides stealing talent from the A10 and to a lesser extent the BE.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
RiderRaver said:
Well said, but the problem is that probably 200 DI schools routinely recruit in the northeast. The competition is intense. Rider has made strides stealing talent from the A10 and to a lesser extent the BE.
As evidenced by Rider's dominant representation on the last two all-rookie teams.

·
Registered
109 Posts
only thing is I don't think the WCC has passed the MAAC. Yeah Gonzaga is good but the rest of the league sucks. I think the MAAC has to build on this great year and emerge as a midmajor conference within the next 3years. Plus a lot of these schools have been very competitive in recruiting.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
How do you figure the rest of the WCC sucks and has not passed the MAAC? They finished ahead of the MAAC in the RPI this season as it does most seasons and it was a 2 bid league last season. Finally, you need to check out the new arenas that league has built, highlighted by the McCarthy Center and the Jenny Craig Center.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.