Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-cliprep15nov15,1,5910111.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-clippe

Asked how he felt about his role as sixth man, Corey Maggette made clear Monday during a post-practice interview that he didn't care for the question.

"I ain't no sixth man," he interrupted, emphatically.
"I know it's for precautionary reasons. That's just how doctors are," Maggette said. "But I feel like I can do what I've got to do.

"Hopefully by the next game [tonight against Milwaukee] or the game after that, I should be back in the [starting] lineup.

"There's no reason why I shouldn't be back in there unless they're trying to make some changes, which I won't like. My role is to go out there and play basketball, and not as a bench player."

·
Because BBF needs a hero
8,336 Posts
Uh oh... He is right though he is to gifted to play off the bench. Although I'd love to see it. Having him off the bench would be insane. But I understand why he wouldn't want to go that route, he still see's himself as the Clippers go to guy, not a bench warmer.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I don't blame Corey ... he's not a 6th man and to even ask him to accept the role is stupid.

He's doing what was asked to come back EARLY to help us ... he hasn't worked this hard for US to be a 6th man under any circumstance.

Dunleavy hasn't convinced me that he know what do with the talent we have so his decision to bring Corey off the bench would be questionable and it certainly would cause friction and I wouldn't blame Corey at all.

Corey coming in BEHIND a second year man .... PLEEZ.

I'm happy Corey stated his position.

EDIT: Hell, didn't Corey play out of position last year for Dunleavy? Took all of the abuse from everyone because that wasn't his position. Now you want him to come in off the BENCH? Y'all better think about it? This team is good WITH COREY STARTING IN HIS POSITION, and Dunleavy better build AROUND THAT!!!!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Dynasty Raider said:
I don't blame Corey ... he's not a 6th man and to even ask him to accept the role is stupid.

He's doing what was asked to come back EARLY to help us ... he hasn't worked this hard for US to be a 6th man under any circumstance.

Dunleavy hasn't convinced me that he know what do with the talent we have so his decision to bring Corey off the bench would be questionable and it certainly would cause friction and I wouldn't blame Corey at all.

Corey coming in BEHIND a second year man .... PLEEZ.

I'm happy Corey stated his position.

EDIT: Hell, didn't Corey play out of position last year for Dunleavy? Took all of the abuse from everyone because that wasn't his position. Now you want him to come in off the BENCH? Y'all better think about it? This team is good WITH COREY STARTING IN HIS POSITION, and Dunleavy better build AROUND THAT!!!!
Damn right about every single thing there. If Dunleavy wants to find some minutes for Ross, that's fine, hell i'd rather see Mobley coming in off the bench instead of Maggette.

Ross needs to be the back up for both SG and SF.

And Dunleavy needs to find some minutes for Singleton for sure, with every opprotunity this guy has been given, he's far exceeded expectations.

·
Registered
117 Posts
in some article i remember reading that singleton will back up corey, i think today's game would be a good place to put corey in the starting line up, its at home and he guards bobby. let q and singleton both come off the bench and provide rebounding and defense.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Totally agree Maggs needs to start. I know Dun likes his defensive stud in Ross but at the sametime it's having a negative effect on Cassel because the defense is laying off of Ross and keying on Cassel which is something they wouldn't even dream of doing with Maggs in there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
leidout said:
Damn right about every single thing there. If Dunleavy wants to find some minutes for Ross, that's fine, hell i'd rather see Mobley coming in off the bench instead of Maggette.

Ross needs to be the back up for both SG and SF.

And Dunleavy needs to find some minutes for Singleton for sure, with every opprotunity this guy has been given, he's far exceeded expectations.
double damn right, leidout & raider!...both of you point out exactly what needs to be done...corey is not an understudy to anyone-he and eb are the heart and soul of the clippers and you can't have that being a 6th man.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Start Unit: Cass/Mobley/Maggs/Brand/Kaman
2nd Unit: Ewing/Ross/Singleton/Wilcox/Rebraca

if Ross is gonna come off the bench and Maggs starts, then u can almost bet that Singleton will see more time

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
It's tough, because Maggette is great at scoring and good at rebounding but pretty bad on defense. He hasn't improved his defense much since coming into the league. Quinton Ross is the better defender, and with a lineup that includes Cassell and Mobley (not good defensively, but good offensively), you'd sometimes like to start a better defender to compliment that lineup.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I think Mobley should go to the bench until Livingston comes back to give good guard depth. They need Ross tonight to guard Ford no one else can except maybe Ewing.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
man yeah, thats dumb.... i think as long as the team keeps doing good with Q Ross in the

starting lineup, it should keep things how they are ....Corey should grow up geesh....

and yea Q Ross is more defensively gifted, Corey is a good layuper, once in a while has his shooting

spurts, but today he has had a couple stupid turnovers hopefully coming off the bencch

aint messing with him if it is .....!! :curse:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I thought he was forcing his shots when he came into the game. I don't why he's complaining, he is getting plenty of minutes to do his thing. I think they should keep it this way. By doing this he could provide the scoring punch for the second unit. On the other hand we definitely need Ross for defensive purposes. The other day he was the only player that was doing a great job on Iverson. If he would not have gotten in foul trouble we probably would have won that game. He's been the best one on one defender this year.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Corey has always been the most consistent player on the team except for Brand. Being a starter is more of a respect thing, which he has definitely earned. He still plays 30 minutes of the game, why can one of those minutes be at tip off?

Q Ross is obviously defending the other teams best guard, not small forward. Why he's been starting over a superior small forward is just dumb.

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maggette just now was asked in an intereview how he felt about coming off the bench. He said that as long as the team is winning that is all that matters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts