Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orland Magic fire coach Johnny Davis - AP

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Johnny Davis was fired Thursday as coach of the Orlando Magic, who have lost six straight games and are on the verge of falling out of playoff contention. Assistant Chris Jent was named interim coach.
While the west coast teams are struggling to get into the playoffs, the eastern teams are trying to find ways to avoid it. Why not fire the GM for trading out Cuttino Mobley? It's up to the Magic now how will they react.

Now, the playoff spot is something for the Nets to lose.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Davis, a low-key coach, seemed to lose control of his players.In Sunday's 98-82 home loss to New Jersey, the Magic receivedseveral technical fouls and scuffled with the Nets. Reserve guardDeShawn Stevenson booted the ball into the stands at the buzzer andforward Stacey Augmon squirted lotion on reporters in the lockerroom.

--AP

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
faNETicS said:
Orland Magic fire coach Johnny Davis - AP

While the west coast teams are struggling to get into the playoffs, the eastern teams are trying to find ways to avoid it. Why not fire the GM for trading out Cuttino Mobley? It's up to the Magic now how will they react.

Now, the playoff spot is something for the Nets to lose.
I think he's next, probably the offseason. Yea, don't know why not now. It's more personnel than anything else, basically dump Mobley and Gooden for nothing. Yea, Gooden, Hunger and Varejao for Battie, is next to nothing.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Odd, I guess they want another young player to play with Howard and Francis.

-Petey

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
It seems Jason Kidd truly is a coach killer. :biggrin:

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Kidd Karma said:
I think he's next, probably the offseason. Yea, don't know why not now. It's more personnel than anything else, basically dump Mobley and Gooden for nothing. Yea, Gooden, Hunger and Varejao for Battie, is next to nothing.
That trade was about attitudes and positions. Simply, Drew had a horrible attitude and the Magic didn't want any other PF to compete for time with Howard.

The Mobley trade was to make sure the team got something for someone that they didn't plan to resign in free agency.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cpawfan said:
The Mobley trade was to make sure the team got something for someone that they didn't plan to resign in free agency.
They're executives are not as creative as Thorn then.
Showing your cards is not a good thing, you lose leverage that way. They're not good negotiators then. If Trump is the big boss, he'll simply says "You're Fired!".:curse:

Why breakup a team that's working and heading to the postseason is beyond me.
On they're defense, Christie and Turkoglu are hardworkers (especially Doug). They made wonders for the Kings' postseason runs in recent years. Hedo backsup Peja pretty well. And Doug is a workhorse on both defense and offense.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
faNETicS said:
They're executives are not as creative as Thorn then.
Showing your cards is not a good thing, you lose leverage that way. They're not good negotiators then. If Trump is the big boss, he'll simply says "You're Fired!".:curse:

Why breakup a team that's working and heading to the postseason is beyond me.
On they're defense, Christie and Turkoglu are hardworkers (especially Doug). They made wonders for the Kings' postseason runs in recent years. Hedo backsup Peja pretty well. And Doug is a workhorse on both defense and offense.
I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your first point?

On the second point, the GM determined that he wanted more a defensive mindset on the team, especially in the backcourt, and that is something that Mobley doesn't bring. Plus the GM didn't want two chuckers in the backcourt when he had just invested a number 1 overall pick in a post player.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cpawfan said:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say with your first point?
I just want to throw out the Trump thingy. :biggrin:
Seriously, that was in reference to trading someone you're not interested in signing in. But if there's a reason other than that like what you've just mentioned, then my argument was flawed then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts