Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumblings from a couple pro scouts up here in Toronto say the Magic were extensively shopping Steve Francis earlier in the calender year, looking for a young body, a very high 1st round pick, and a big contract for Francis.

Now they're telling me the Magic want to send him off to either Charlotte or New Orleans for either teams 1st rounder in 2005.

Not only that, but the scouts from the Magic love Gerald Green, they would love to see him on the floor with Howard in a couple years, big time potential. They feel two talents that are capable of carrying a team a long way if Green pans out.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That would be sweet, but no team in their right mind would give up a top pick for Francis unless they had an abysmal contract. New Orleans with Mashburn would have been a good fit perhaps, but Mashburn has already been dealt.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Captain Obvious said:
That would be sweet, but no team in their right mind would give up a top pick for Francis unless they had an abysmal contract. New Orleans with Mashburn would have been a good fit perhaps, but Mashburn has already been dealt.
It may be a pipe dream, but I like that the Magic are at least initially looking in that direction. They're testing the market to see just how much they can get for Francis, and they're looking to get a high pick, which I like.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Captain Obvious said:
Another thing -- PJ Brown is on a pretty big contract that includes a trade kicker. He'd cost the Magic a lot of money to aquire, but he's the consumate professional and a great role player. He'd make our interior defense even better, while adding a solid rebounder a guy who can hit that elbow jumper. New Orleans would like to get rid of his big salary with their whole youth movement and rebuilding process. Another older guy they probably wouldn't mind giving up to make the trade work salary wise would be George Lynch.

Orlando trades: PG Steve Francis (21.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 7.1 apg in 38.0 minutes)
Orlando receives: PF PJ Brown (10.9 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 34.7 minutes)
SF George Lynch (3.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 21.4 minutes)
New Orleans 2005 1st Round Pick
Change in team outlook: -6.8 ppg, +7.1 rpg, and -2.9 apg.

New Orleans trades: PF PJ Brown (10.9 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 2.2 apg in 34.7 minutes)
SF George Lynch (3.8 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 2.0 apg in 21.4 minutes)
New Orleans 2005 1st Round Pick
New Orleans receives: PG Steve Francis (21.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 7.1 apg in 38.0 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +6.8 ppg, -7.1 rpg, and +2.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Captain Obvious said:

With this draft being considered pretty weak overall, Orlando might be able to package Francis and our late lottery pick to move way up in the draft. We'd probably also have to take back a player or two with somewhat bad contracts, but as long as they are at least decent players it might be worth it.

Getting a guy like Gerald Green won't help us much next year, but a few years down the road with Nelson, Hedo, Dwight, and Green ... that could be pretty good if Green developed.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
There really are a lot of potential trades we can do. One interesting one I was thinking of is Francis and filler for Penny and the Knicks' pick. We would draft Green and let Penny walk after the season (or resign him for less).

Another one that is less intriguing but perhaps more likely is Francis for Joe Smith, Booth, and their first.

OT: A non-Magic trade that I think we could see happen is Utah's two firsts for the #1 overall so they can keep Bogut in Utah.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
No offense guys, but I wouldn't take anything that anything that :TorontoRaptors: says seriously. He's made outlandish stories about how the Raptors were going to get Ilgauskas from Cleveland last year, and earlier this season he said that Toronto was about to trade Vince Carter to NY. Recently he explained that one of his "sources" told him that the Raptors were about to trade Donyell Marshall for Fred Jones and a pick.
Silly stories if you ask me.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Magic Fans, don't get too excited. Every thing this guy says is bogus.

He also said that he heard from Torontos front office/other sources that Vince was headed to Portland,
Donyell to Indiana,
Wade was out for a month when he played the next game,
Vince Carter was headed to the Knicks,
Raptors would move to St.Louis..

He doesn't post in the Raptors forum anymore, because everyone there knows he's a phony, so he posts in other forums.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
vigilante said:
Magic Fans, don't get too excited. Every thing this guy says is bogus.

He also said that he heard from Torontos front office/other sources that Vince was headed to Portland,
Donyell to Indiana,
Wade was out for a month when he played the next game,
Vince Carter was headed to the Knicks,
Raptors would move to St.Louis..

He doesn't post in the Raptors forum anymore, because everyone there knows he's a phony, so he posts in other forums.
hahaha... all true...

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
If I am Magic, I don't touch Green with a 10 foot pole. They need to put their pick to good use, and look for an impact player.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
TheATLien said:
If I am Magic, I don't touch Green with a 10 foot pole. They need to put their pick to good use, and look for an impact player.
Not true at all, we don't need an immediate impact player. When we were healthy we had good depth. We might as well try to hit a home run and put another star alongside Howard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts