Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to the denver nuggets for a future 2nd round draft pick. This is great cuz it clears about 1 mil. maybe this is a sign that Gabe will try to sign Clark besides the fact that he was caught smokin weed. if u dont believe me check out hoopsworld.com. they have the article there.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Yeah. That is a good sign. Dumping Reid's salary must have been done with some kind of move or signing in thought.

The most obvious choice would be the signing of Clark.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You're forgetting to mention that the Magic also had to give the Nuggets the first rounder that the Clips owed them.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I havent read that anywhere. Everything I have read just says "future draft considerations" ...

Another question - has Orlando already signed Rashard Griffith? A couple things I have read over time have seemed to say that.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by NugzFan
nah we got your clips pick...

top 21 protected in 2003
1-15 in 2004
1-14 in 2005
unprotected in 2006

thanks orlando!
I wouldnt get that happy. Certainly Clips pick will be top 21 next year. And then by 2004, more than likely, their pick will be higher than 15 since they will more than likely make the playoffs and have a pretty good record.

All you'll probably end up with is a pick in the 20's in 2006.

I think this trade makes it pretty obvious Orlando is about to try and sign someone. It's basically "do us a favor and get Reid's contract off the books for us and we'll give you this" kind of deal..

I don't think they did it for this summer either. If they wanted to, they would have just done it after the season.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Originally posted by Dee Bo

I wouldnt get that happy. Certainly Clips pick will be top 21 next year. And then by 2004, more than likely, their pick will be higher than 15 since they will more than likely make the playoffs and have a pretty good record.

All you'll probably end up with is a pick in the 20's in 2006.

I think this trade makes it pretty obvious Orlando is about to try and sign someone. It's basically "do us a favor and get Reid's contract off the books for us and we'll give you this" kind of deal..

I don't think they did it for this summer either. If they wanted to, they would have just done it after the season.
dude thats what i want! i dont want the pick next year. i hope they are top 21. i want to wait and watch the pick get better and better.

we already got 2 first next year so we dont need 3 just now. id rather wait til 2005 or 2006 and add another great pick to hopefully a good team by then instead of a crappy pick now.

so unless the clips are a top 10 team next year (somewhat likely) we get to wait...which is smart. once sterlings cheapness rolls in the pick will get better for us. it WILL NOT be in the 20s in 2006. not a chance.

btw; reids contract off the books? a ONE YEAR deal for ONE MILLION? lol - thats one of the nicest contracts in the nba!!!

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts

dude thats what i want! i dont want the pick next year. i hope they are top 21. i want to wait and watch the pick get better and better.

we already got 2 first next year so we dont need 3 just now. id rather wait til 2005 or 2006 and add another great pick to hopefully a good team by then instead of a crappy pick now.

so unless the clips are a top 10 team next year (somewhat likely) we get to wait...which is smart. once sterlings cheapness rolls in the pick will get better for us. it WILL NOT be in the 20s in 2006. not a chance.

btw; reids contract off the books? a ONE YEAR deal for ONE MILLION? lol - thats one of the nicest contracts in the nba!!!
You are crazy if you don't think the Clips will be a solid team by 2006. If Sterling plays his cards right, they could be the best team in the league by 2006.

And yeah, Reid's contract wasn't much, but Orlando did need that extra million off their books for the possibility of signing someone with their median exception without going into the luxury tax area.

That 2006 pick will probably be good for adding some depth to their talented team with a high pick. It won't be worth that much though.. It certainly won't be any lower than like a 17-18 pick..

·
Registered
5,529 Posts

You are crazy if you don't think the Clips will be a solid team by 2006. If Sterling plays his cards right, they could be the best team in the league by 2006.

And yeah, Reid's contract wasn't much, but Orlando did need that extra million off their books for the possibility of signing someone with their median exception without going into the luxury tax area.

That 2006 pick will probably be good for adding some depth to their talented team with a high pick. It won't be worth that much though.. It certainly won't be any lower than like a 17-18 pick..
well apparently you dont konw donald sterling. you actually assume brand, kandi, odom and miller will all be there in 2006. i agree there team right now is awesome but to think they will still be there long term is helarious. he doesnt pay anyone anything let alone 3-4 guys max/nearmax cash! i just hope the clips pick stays protected until 2006 so we can get a great one instead of say, pick 15 in 2005.

hey if reids contract helps you get clark thats great. rather clark sign in orlando than in sacramento or a west team. but that in no way takes away from what denver just did.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I agree, it was a good move for the Nugz. Reid won't be with them after next season probably (I think he only has one year left) .. so they basically traded a second-round pick for a mid-late first rounder...

At this point, Orlando needs to start thinking about winning now, so the advantage of that pick in 2006 doesnt really matter to Orlando..

As far the Clips, my theory is this.. Brand will be gone. Maybe Olowokandi, but a true 7-foot center is hard to find these days. I think Miller gets signed to near max, Odom same, Olowokandi same.. Brand is left out since they have Wilcox and Ely, and Wilcox will probably be better for them in the long run.

By around 2006, if they still have Miller, he'll probably still be a top 5 PG, if not the top PG.. they could have Olowokandi, who if Shaq retires might be the best true C in the league by then. And probably 2 of the three of Odom, Q, Maggette.. plus possibly Jaric, Wilcox, Ely..

Even if all those guys arent still there, by that point in their careers, having 3-4 of all those guys will be a high-ranking WC team.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I agree, it was a good move for the Nugz. Reid won't be with them after next season probably (I think he only has one year left) .. so they basically traded a second-round pick for a mid-late first rounder...

At this point, Orlando needs to start thinking about winning now, so the advantage of that pick in 2006 doesnt really matter to Orlando..

its simple - its called a trade helping both teams.

As far the Clips, my theory is this.. Brand will be gone. Maybe Olowokandi, but a true 7-foot center is hard to find these days. I think Miller gets signed to near max, Odom same, Olowokandi same.. Brand is left out since they have Wilcox and Ely, and Wilcox will probably be better for them in the long run.

By around 2006, if they still have Miller, he'll probably still be a top 5 PG, if not the top PG.. they could have Olowokandi, who if Shaq retires might be the best true C in the league by then. And probably 2 of the three of Odom, Q, Maggette.. plus possibly Jaric, Wilcox, Ely..

Even if all those guys arent still there, by that point in their careers, having 3-4 of all those guys will be a high-ranking WC team.
so you think sterling, who in the history of his ownership never has paid a player more than 4 mill (piakowski) is all of a sudden going to shell out big bucks to 3 or more players?

wont happen. if he signs ONE of them, its a miracle.

i agree, the clips have the talent to be a top 5 NBA TEAM by 2005. but they wont all be there.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
He will shell out money, because these guys can win. Name a group of guys that he didn't pay in the past that could have stayed together and been as successful as this group..

Superstars mean money. They just traded their biggest fan-favorite money maker in Darius, but they still have pretty good ones in Q, Maggette, Odom.. and now well-respected fan favs in Brand and Miller.

But more than anything, winning means money. Clips will keep winning more, which means more people will come to the games (it has already become tres cool to be a Clips fan), which means more money for Sterling. Playoffs are huge money makers as well for the team..

So keep this team together means the team could be one of the top in the WC.. which means more tickets, more season tickets, more TV exposure, more merchandise sales, and more revenue from extended play in the playoffs.

So yeah, I think he'll shell out some dough.

His toughest task will be to try and convince a couple of them to take a little less than max so that he can sign more.

If he lets this opportunity get away, then he should be canned immediately.

Obviously he at least plans to pay Miller, otherwise trading for him makes no sense.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
He will shell out money, because these guys can win. Name a group of guys that he didn't pay in the past that could have stayed together and been as successful as this group..

Superstars mean money. They just traded their biggest fan-favorite money maker in Darius, but they still have pretty good ones in Q, Maggette, Odom.. and now well-respected fan favs in Brand and Miller.

But more than anything, winning means money. Clips will keep winning more, which means more people will come to the games (it has already become tres cool to be a Clips fan), which means more money for Sterling. Playoffs are huge money makers as well for the team..

So keep this team together means the team could be one of the top in the WC.. which means more tickets, more season tickets, more TV exposure, more merchandise sales, and more revenue from extended play in the playoffs.

So yeah, I think he'll shell out some dough.

His toughest task will be to try and convince a couple of them to take a little less than max so that he can sign more.

If he lets this opportunity get away, then he should be canned immediately.

Obviously he at least plans to pay Miller, otherwise trading for him makes no sense.
lol you still think sterling didnt pay in the past because he was a smart owner? he didnt pay because he was living on a gold mind. owning an nba team with a low payroll is an awesome business.

thats what he is - a business man first. basketball 2nd.

your theory is all nice n dandy but in the real world when sterling looks at the financial numbers, he knows what hes gonna do.

EVEN if he changes and starts spending, he wont become cuban and thats what its gonna take to keep this team together. you think in a matter of one season hes gonna go from spending nothing his whole life to a top 5 payroll? please.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

lol you still think sterling didnt pay in the past because he was a smart owner? he didnt pay because he was living on a gold mind. owning an nba team with a low payroll is an awesome business.
Actually, he's always said that when he gets a group of guys that are worth paying, he'll keep them. He's said that (all paraphrased quotes): "Even max contracts aren't a big deal," because he "Routinely spends more money than that in a business deal, and that's what the signing would be: a business deal"

Until I see otherwise, I see no reason to not believe him. Nothing he's ever done in the past would go against that. He's refused to give big contracts to Lamond Murray, Mo Taylor, and Derrick Anderson, not anyone with nearly the amount of talent of Brand/Miller/etc.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Originally posted by BBallFan

Actually, he's always said that when he gets a group of guys that are worth paying, he'll keep them. He's said that (all paraphrased quotes): "Even max contracts aren't a big deal," because he "Routinely spends more money than that in a business deal, and that's what the signing would be: a business deal"

Until I see otherwise, I see no reason to not believe him. Nothing he's ever done in the past would go against that. He's refused to give big contracts to Lamond Murray, Mo Taylor, and Derrick Anderson, not anyone with nearly the amount of talent of Brand/Miller/etc.
until you see otherwise? his whole life as an owner has been 'otherwise' - you havent 'seen' that? lol.

but if that is indeed true - not the quote...the actual spending. i think his mouth wrote a check that his *** cant cash...or something (hell i just wanted to say that :) ) - then thats great for the clips. they deserve it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts