Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First time posting here so I thought I would post something interesting :biggrin:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=9880

Dave (Ontario and Canada): Do you think the Raptors should fire Rob Babcock or do you think the situation he inherited was so bad he is in a situation any GM would be in. Aside from Araujo pick I don't see him as that bad, someone had to implode the Raptors, didn't they?

SportsNation Chad Ford: I think Babcock inherited a bad team, but he's only made things worse for the most part. His best moves, so far, seem to be picking Charlie Villanueva and then signing Jose Calderon. Villanueva, especially, has been great so far. What I don't understand was why the Raptors turned down trade ovetures for Jamaal Magloire. Multiple league sources have told me they could've had him for Aaron Williams, Morris Peterson and either Joey Graham or a future first. Pairing Magloire (a hometown favorite) with Chris Bosh and Villanueva (who looks like he's a three to me) would've given them one of the biggest front lines in hoops. With Jalen Rose, Mike James and Calderon in the backcourt, they would've at least been respectable ... if not a contender for the eigth playoff seed. Instead, this obession with stockpiling draft picks and saving cap room just keeps putting off the inevitable ... when are the Raptors going to actually start winning?

Is that how posting articles work? heres an excerpt, you need insider to read the rest of the chat w/ Chad Ford

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
^ That's fine the way you've done it. We are forbidden by ESPN to post complete Insider articles but you can put everything into your own words or post a snippet like you've included.

That deal is interesting. A future first cannot be traded because of the outstanding one we owe to Charlotte via Cleveland. If they would accept Denver's pick I don't know why Rob wouldn't take that deal, so I'm assuming they want one of our picks. And I can see why we'd want to keep Graham considering we'd be losing Peterson.

But it's moot because JM's a free agent in a couple years when we might be able to sign him outright without giving up anything but cap space.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Speedy, I understand what you're saying.
However, Chad Ford's assumption is that the Raps want to win some games now. Plus, they are interested in Magliore. In order to win some games, the Raps must have a good front-line. Magloire is one of the only good C's that will gladly come to TO.
For Chad Ford it's 1+1.

I would have done that trade in a blink of an eye, if it was A-Train+MoPete+Denver Pick for Magloire.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Welcome

That deal IMO, boils down to Joey Graham or a pick for nothing. Magloire in all likelyhood will sign here especially now that he is in Milwaukee. If Milwaukee offers max and Raps offer their max, he might stay, but will they. No. Bogut will be there guy and will be demanding Jamal-type money I don't think they will be able to afford him.

Safe to say the Raps can. Not only that, JM wanted to come here this year, when you know we would suck. Even with him this year we would suck big time. Bottom line is he wants to be here baring a huge discrepancy in money.

If I had to bet, my money is on him being here. And while I might moan about how we suck now, we've needed to SU-UCK for a while. As part of my very early rants, either be great or be ****. Mediocrity is the WORST thing possible.

If you do this deal we would be borderline mediocre. Bad. Without it we stay young, SU-UCK, and ensure ourself a top 4 talent with a very good chance for top 3.

Bottom line, don't trade the kids or picks until you have assembled all your assets come 2007. Then you can fill holes. Now is not the time.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
The Bucks also have Gadzilla locked into a long term deal, so I think the likelihood of Magloire staying there is slim and none.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
If this trade can be revisted come draft time, I would consider what Millwaukee has to offer. We need to be bad this year, but I don't see why we would need to be this bad next year

If we wait till year end (nba year), we could get our much coveted draft pick (top 5 pick), then parlay Denver's pick or Graham plus whatever for Magloire

We would have

C-Magloire
PF-Bosh
SF-Charlie
SG-???????????
PG-Calderon

+ 2006 draft pick (top 5)
not to mention Slokar (sp.) and Roko overseas developing

·
Registered
565 Posts
The deal suggested is not as good as the one they received from the Bucks IMO.

Mason > Mopete

And at the time the Denver pick looked like it would be mid-20's and could still very well end up in that range. Where as the Bucks will likely be a fringe playoff team at best.

I liken this to the vince situation. Everyone attacks Babs for the deal that did happen (or in this case didn't happen) but no one really knows what happend in negotiations and what the offer was.

Chad Ford is a consistent hater. His opinion is about as valuable to me as Marty York's.

In addition, I like Magloire but I'm not sure how he would single handedly make us a playoff team. Yes he would likely help us get a few more wins, but I think he is at best an average starting centre who has had bloated stats on bad teams.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to mention that I gaurded Mags in a tournament in highschool and stole the ball from him twice and scored 9 points and pulled in 7 boards.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
I think it makes us too "good" right now and lands us back in mediocrity. That's not to say it's not a good trade, because it is, though I do doubt it was on the table. The thing is that if we land Magloire as a free agent (and I don't see why we can't, unless he demands too much money from his home team) after keeping Joey, getting a VERY high draft pick in 2006, and maybe another lotto pick in 2007, then we're looking like contenders. If we had him this season we might make playoffs, lose our draft pick, and...that's about it.

Anyways, I don't think the deal was on the table. I'm not especially enamoured with Magloire and his max contract but Babs probably would have given up Joey to get him. Or not, whatever.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
TRON said:
If this trade can be revisted come draft time, I would consider what Millwaukee has to offer. We need to be bad this year, but I don't see why we would need to be this bad next year

If we wait till year end (nba year), we could get our much coveted draft pick (top 5 pick), then parlay Denver's pick or Graham plus whatever for Magloire

We would have

C-Magloire
PF-Bosh
SF-Charlie
SG-???????????
PG-Calderon

+ 2006 draft pick (top 5)
not to mention Slokar (sp.) and Roko overseas developing
Why on earth would we trade away anything for a guy for a guy going into last year of his contract when we have the cap space to sign him outright afterwards (ie don't need his bird rights) and keep ALL our assets? And yes, sucking for one more year would probably help.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
R-Star said:
Any stats to prove me wrong?
It's not much but 7 ppg on 48% shooting; 44% from 3. Of course stats aren't everything. Graham is going to be a good player before long. Don't know why you're baiting like this.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
R-Star said:
Any stats to prove me wrong?
He's averaging 7 points per game in 18 minutes without having any plays called for him (If he did, he'd be averaging at least 11-12).

And if you have watched the Raptors this year, you would know that Joey is our best perimeter defender.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
vigilante said:
He's averaging 7 points per game in 18 minutes without having any plays called for him (If he did, he'd be averaging at least 11-12).

And if you have watched the Raptors this year, you would know that Joey is our best perimeter defender.
"IF" I've watch the Raps this year? I live in Canada man.

Joey is on one of the 2 worst teams in the league. He should be getting more than 18 minutes a game if hes any good.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
R-Star said:
"IF" I've watch the Raps this year? I live in Canada man.
I didn't know that meant you watch the Raptors.

Joey is on one of the 2 worst teams in the league. He should be getting more than 18 minutes a game if hes any good.
Sam seems to think he has to put Jalen and Morris out there for at least 30 minutes a game. Then theres Mike James who spends 15-20 minutes at SG. That doesn't leave much time for Joey, even though he has been our best wing player this year.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
speedythief said:
But it's moot because JM's a free agent in a couple years when we might be able to sign him outright without giving up anything but cap space.
I think that is the bottom line. Why give up graham (a potential long term building block) just to have mags for 2 more years.

<b>Aaron Williams, Morris Peterson and either Joey Graham</b> is tempting but a long way of from what they were origonally asking for #7 and #16

trading Aaron williams is addition by subtraction IMO and some night Mo pete appears the same - but with alvin and Eric not healthy you need the bodies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts