Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Magloire had at least 75 tickets for family, friends and some youth basketball teams that he sponsors. A free agent after next season, Magliore has said in the past he would love to play for Toronto. On Friday, he said the hiring of general manager Bryan Colangelo was a great new beginning for the Raptors. He also said his style of play would complement power forward Chris Bosh.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AkOQM0GzjHIc21RoME9FPru8vLYF?gid=2006031728

In related news, Nazr had 30/16 in a win over the Suns tonight.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Nazr should be our top priority. honestly, remember the games he's had with New York? now he's doing it with Timmy and Parker takin majority of the shots..and HE's the focal point of them getting loose balls n rebounds. and i kno a lot of ppl says he lacks mental toughness, but if he comes to Toronto Sam Mitchell will get him to work his tail off every game.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
shookem said:
MoP+Bonner=Mags, this off-season. Book it.
why would the bucks want more shooters? they already have charlie bell, redd, and simmons that love to shoot. if anything, they need magloire because outside of bogut and smith, they're front court is very thin.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
the question is would nazar would want to come here to me nazar overated and if I was him I'd stay with the spurs its a better situation than toronto. the spurs are a respected organizaton, a championship contender, with td and tony theres not any real presure to perform and the weather great why would you leave all that to come to toronto the only thing we have going for us is money plus look at the comments andrew bought said

"I'd heard you don't want to get drafted by Toronto because out of the U.S. it's a hassle to get in and out"

see the type of rep toronto has luring free agents here going to be difficult

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Bring in Mohammed next year, if he comes cheap. His style of play compliments Bosh, too. If the Raptors can re-sign Mike James to a reasonable contract, it will show the Raptors are serious about competing which will go a long way to attracting quality free agents in the summer of 2007.

Magloire will want to much money to come to Toronto. I don't think the Raptors should persue him.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Mr_B said:
the question is would nazar would want to come here to me nazar overated and if I was him I'd stay with the spurs its a better situation than toronto. the spurs are a respected organizaton, a championship contender, with td and tony theres not any real presure to perform and the weather great why would you leave all that to come to toronto the only thing we have going for us is money plus look at the comments andrew bought said

"I'd heard you don't want to get drafted by Toronto because out of the U.S. it's a hassle to get in and out"

I agree that Nazr probably doesn't want to come to Toronto, they could convince him with huge money, but I'd be really hesitant to do that. I do think he might want out of SA, unless he begins to get more minutes like he did last night, he should bolt.

Magloire, I still want Magloire (and a free throw shooting coach).

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
San Antonio has already offered Mohammed an extension on his contract, which he and his agent rejected, seeking a five-year deal. RC Buford is known for being very fiscally responsible and he will not overpay for a player. If Mohammed and his agent demand too much they will just as soon let him walk. They have a centre to replace him with as well as a developing Oberto on the bench.

I think Chicago will be in competition to sign him, but they are keying-in on other players as well, such as Nene, Gooden, and Pryzbilla. Also, if Chicago drafts a player like Aldridge they will be less willing to offer a big man the loot to play there.

I personally feel that Magloire will go to whoever offers him the most money. I think his desire to play in Toronto is as much posturing as anything else. He is trying to set himself up to get a max money contract. If Toronto doesn't offer one to him and someone else does, he can easily sign with them and then tell the media that Toronto "wasn't serious" about wanting him. Bottom line is always money for players not already under contract (ie. Mike Finley, Tim Thomas).

Do you sign a player like Mohammed this summer, and pay him $50M/5 years, or do you wait another year and sign Magloire to the same contract? Do we need the help today or tomorrow? Mohammed is a good role player at a coveted position, who will score garbage points and get rebounds. Will Magloire be satisfied with a limited role on the floor? Can he defer to Bosh, Villanueva, and our pick (and James)? Can either of these guys play in an up and down scheme? Do you sign a modestly priced centre with more offensive talent like Battie instead?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Mr_B said:
andrew bought said

JYD addressed this the other night on the Hoops show. He said that for many american players it can be a problem for some of their friends or family to cross the border. Meaning they have criminal records. That has been the issue. They have no trouble moving from state to state in the US but an international border is a huge problem when you have criminal convictions. When you consider the backgrounds of where many of the top players come from it is no surprise that they have friends or family with such issues. Nothing that can be done about this, just a reality the Raps have to live with.

As for other FA's don't forget about Mbenga with Dallas. The Mavs love him, probably more than Podkolzine, but can't afford to sign him and don't have as much PT now that Diop is doing OK for them. He's more raw but could be the cheapest and best long term fit for us. The next Dalembert? Stronger body I think.

Lakers may be tempted to move Kwame or Mihm this summer as well with Turiaf coming back strong and Bynum being the future.

And for a longshot, how about Rashard Lewis this summer. He has already said publicly he will opt out next year. That means the Sonics have to move him now to get any value or risk losing him for nothing. Or they move Ray to clear cash for Lewis. If our draft pick lands us a shot at Morrison or Gay the Sonics might be tempted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
speedythief said:
Do you sign a player like Mohammed this summer, and pay him $50M/5 years, or do you wait another year and sign Magloire to the same contract? Do we need the help today or tomorrow? Mohammed is a good role player at a coveted position, who will score garbage points and get rebounds. Will Magloire be satisfied with a limited role on the floor? Can he defer to Bosh, Villanueva, and our pick (and James)? Can either of these guys play in an up and down scheme? Do you sign a modestly priced centre with more offensive talent like Battie instead?
See speedy, though Jamaal's eyes he thinks he's worth a max deal and has been quoted saying via his agent that once his existing contract is done, he'll be searching for huge deal. Five years for 50 million isn't going to cut. I bet anything Joel Pryzbilla gets that type of a contract seeing how Dalembert got something similiar last season. I personally think Jamaal is overrated and is worth a 5/50 contract, but Jamaal's ego doesn't think so.

I personally have a distaste in my mouth for the big baby after his temper tantrum last summer before Nash's charity in Toronto and his constant rejections to represent his country in international play. The worst thing that has ever happen Magloire was him being named the the All-Star team a couple years back. Now he's thinks his crap smells like roses. :curse:

Sorry, I'll stop my rant now. ;)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
<i> "....Toronto center Rafael Araujo made a rare appearance and was booed...." </i>
^ ****ty
You'd have to be a f'in a'hole to boo for a player on your own team who has done nothing but work hard from the minute he's been here. I still think if used as a high post passing type center, he could be an effective backup. He played about 2 minutes in the game against the sixers and made two of the best passes from high post to low post I saw all game. The problem is that our offense has such poor ball movement that this type of centre doesn't really fit.

Back to the main point, if you boo Araujo, you are a ------- MORON and I hope he loses it one day and goes into the stands to pound your *** into the ground.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Team Mao said:
You'd have to be a f'in a'hole to boo for a player on your own team who has done nothing but work hard from the minute he's been here. I still think if used as a high post passing type center, he could be an effective backup. He played about 2 minutes in the game against the sixers and made two of the best passes from high post to low post I saw all game. The problem is that our offense has such poor ball movement that this type of centre doesn't really fit.

Back to the main point, if you boo Araujo, you are a ------- MORON and I hope he loses it one day and goes into the stands to pound your *** into the ground.
quit crying they boo him cuz hes garbage and useless when out on the court he shows flashes of being a solid player but that all they are flashes untill he steps his game up then they should boo him off the court matter of fact hoffa should take the boos and use it as motavation and for the record I boo hoffa everytime he sets foot on the court and I will continue to do so until he shows he can be productive

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.