Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Magloire had at least 75 tickets for family, friends and some youth basketball teams that he sponsors. A free agent after next season, Magliore has said in the past he would love to play for Toronto. On Friday, he said the hiring of general manager Bryan Colangelo was a great new beginning for the Raptors. He also said his style of play would complement power forward Chris Bosh.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AkOQM0GzjHIc21RoME9FPru8vLYF?gid=2006031728

In related news, Nazr had 30/16 in a win over the Suns tonight.

· duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
San Antonio has already offered Mohammed an extension on his contract, which he and his agent rejected, seeking a five-year deal. RC Buford is known for being very fiscally responsible and he will not overpay for a player. If Mohammed and his agent demand too much they will just as soon let him walk. They have a centre to replace him with as well as a developing Oberto on the bench.

I think Chicago will be in competition to sign him, but they are keying-in on other players as well, such as Nene, Gooden, and Pryzbilla. Also, if Chicago drafts a player like Aldridge they will be less willing to offer a big man the loot to play there.

I personally feel that Magloire will go to whoever offers him the most money. I think his desire to play in Toronto is as much posturing as anything else. He is trying to set himself up to get a max money contract. If Toronto doesn't offer one to him and someone else does, he can easily sign with them and then tell the media that Toronto "wasn't serious" about wanting him. Bottom line is always money for players not already under contract (ie. Mike Finley, Tim Thomas).

Do you sign a player like Mohammed this summer, and pay him $50M/5 years, or do you wait another year and sign Magloire to the same contract? Do we need the help today or tomorrow? Mohammed is a good role player at a coveted position, who will score garbage points and get rebounds. Will Magloire be satisfied with a limited role on the floor? Can he defer to Bosh, Villanueva, and our pick (and James)? Can either of these guys play in an up and down scheme? Do you sign a modestly priced centre with more offensive talent like Battie instead?

· duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Gilgamesh said:
You have to be insane to sign a player like Mohammed to $50 for 5 years but a GM like IT will probably do it.

I still say we need a shot blocking center. Our defense is horrible. We need someone to reinforce the D in our paint. I'm sick of opposing perimeter players getting to the rim with ease.

I also don't think BC can make the Raps into a Suns like system. We need Nash and Mike D in order to make that happen. It's like when Riley left the Lakers. He didn't turn the Knicks or Heat into showtime. He played to their strengths. I think it would be a mistake if BC trys to make the Raps into Suns part deux.
I don't think you sign either of those players to that contract, but it is the contract both will demand, and one or both will get at least 75% of it.

Personally I'm leaning towards signing someone like Ely, Wilcox or Battie for half the price.

· duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Team Mao said:
Speedy, I'm starting to agree with the 2nd tier Ely or Wilcox signing, maube not Battie because he's a bit older than the other two and not as versatile. My thinking though is that a big man should be taking on the draft and brought along slowly on the bench behind the FA pickup and eventually replacing them in the starting lineup.
Do you think we should try to draft a big (O"bryant, Armstrong, Hibbert?, S. Williams) if we're not targetting Przy, Nene or Nazr?
I say Battie because he is a steady if unspectacular defender. His age and knees will prevent anyone from offering him an inflated contract. But he played 81 games last year and he's on pace to play the whole season this year so he's not too frail. He doesn't do any one thing especially well but he does just about everything pretty decent and he's experienced.

Guys like Ely and Wilcox are both unproven players so it would be more of a risk to get them. I like Ely because he is big but mobile, in my mind every bit as good as Nene at this point in time. Both of them have room to improve, Nene more so but who knows what the double-surgery will do to him. Wilcox would suit us if we are less interested in half-court because he is an athletic freak who people seem to think is slow-witted--the more structure the less effective he's likely to be.

As for the draft I'm up for getting anyone or trading the pick.

· duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
shookem said:
I thought Ely got most of his minutes playing the 4.

Besides, the thought of signing a guy who's only getting PT because of an injured starter and backing up Brezec doesn't appeal to me.

I want a legit, starting C. It's not like we're not going to need it.
Ely is plenty big to play C if we are an uptempo team. The onus isn't on being a traditional centre so much as it is to protect our forwards, keep up with the game, rebound, defend, and lay the wood on slashers.

· duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
speedy, i kinda disagree. its not like tony battie is a huge star and will be extremely coveted in the league. i think orlando is still on the market for a centre.
With Darko and Battie I think they are done spending at that spot for now.

But that's not my point. They're capped out so they won't be going after anyone significant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.