Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen better performances from my Black Bears, but it was good enough for a 54-43 win over UMBC on Saturday night.

WHAT WORKED: Mark Flavin's inside play (19 points, 10 rebounds), and Kevin Reed (11, 11) from both inside and out. Joe Campbell came through with ten rebounds, and that was against a pretty good UMBC frontcourt.

WHAT NEEDS WORK: The shots. While shot selection certainly isn't bad, the shots just haven't fallen since the Hartford game. A 38% mark and 2-for-14 mark from three-land doesn't help matters. I guess we can only hope that some start falling when Northeastern comes to town on Wednesday night.

WHAT'S INEXCUSABLE: A 41% free throw mark in the first half. It got better in the second half, but it was a good thing for Maine that UMBC had a bad FT night (50%).

WHAT'S CREPT BACK: The turnovers. After having 10 or 11 in previous games, Maine had 22 tonight.

WHAT'S INTERESTING: The America East race.... Whoever wins that UM/NU matchup on Wednesday night will have third place and a solid 6-3 conference record halfway through the America East season.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I'm not sure 3rd place is where anyone wants to finish since 3rd place will most likely face 2nd seeded Boston U on their homecourt in the semis......still a long way to go though.

·
Registered
970 Posts
UM/UMBC; Fieldhouse

Having Eric Dobson on the bench with two fouls for much of the first half didn't help what began and finished as one sluggish half of basketball.

Pretty good second half, however. Hit the boards (Reed, Campbell and Flavin) and showed some pretty good ball movement ... getting the ball to people when they had an opportunity to do something with it (opposed to first half when every pass seemed to be off target or ill-timed).

I thought UMBC looked as advertised. Some pretty solid, physical guys. Didn't shoot well the whole game, though. That seems to be one thing the Black Bears are exhibiting on a pretty consistent basis: solid defensive effort.

I'm also more and more impressed with Reed's patience as, game after game, the opposition defenses are all over him and he's aggresive without forcing ... very much a temperment like Coppenrath.

Crowd, tad over 2,000, was better than I expected.

As for the rumored new hoops facility, the retrofitted fieldhouse?

Seems there was some type of presentation recently and a proposed design drawing of the fieldhouse was displayed and discussed. But, just as all the funds for the new hockey add-ons to Alfond have reportedly not been raised, the remodeled fieldhouse would have a price tag around $25 million. Sounds an awful lot like the stuff we've heard before. The design calls for basketball seating at 5,000.

The dream continues.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I say we funnel funds from Bangors racino to UMaine for the new hoops facility :) .

Seriously, sounds like the athletic dept. made the first step.....you never know who may feel like giving $25 million to the university ;) .

·
Registered
280 Posts
hey, MBNA Arena has a nice ring to it?!

hey chet and bainsey, what'd you think of my son tearing the rim off of the hoop during the halftime tiny tyke dunking contest? vanilla thunder, baby..........unfortunately, he's got his dad's touch around the basket.

from my perspective, this was a heartening win for the black bears. we've all said that because of their guard play there would be nights that they light it up and nights they don't. this team is starting to show that even when the shooting is bad(as has been the case recently), they can still gut out a win. umbc was better than i thought they'd be, big, deep........but UM shut them down with D in the second half.

now the huskies come to town on wednesday..........let's get ready to rrrrrruuuuuummmmmbbbllllleee!(and i mean that figuratively of course)

·
Registered
970 Posts
That was your kid? I remember it. Vanilla Thunder's OK, but just be careful if he starts telling his friends he's from the planet Lovetron.

Ahh, those were the days, Double-D and World B. Free. What's happened to the NBA we used to love?

I agree with you completely, Roz and I think I've mentioned it before. These were the types of games last year we found a way to lose. I like our guys' attitude on the floor. We may not win them all, and sometimes the wins haven't been pretty, but they're fighting like crazy every night.

Should be a good one Wednesday. We need to bring our "A" game because JJB's going to be in the house and in our faces.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Little Rozzie tears down the hoop! I love it!

They did a similar kiddie dunk contest at the Cumberland County Civic Center, and I told Shaun Russell he really should do it and host it again in Orono. I'm glad he finally did. It's quite the crowd pleaser.

Besides, I really needed the halftime vocal break. I'm fighting a cold and couldn't go all-out during the intros like I normally do ("playing hurt", I dare to call it). I probably would have had some Peter Brady moments if I even tried.

·
Registered
280 Posts
bainsey....wasn't there supposed to be a new sound system put it in? someone told me that the new one is already in........sheesh, no offense but at times the new system makes you sound like charlie brown's teacher....if not, when's help on the way?

all aboard the prediction train for NU.

Maine 64 NU 56

JJB--15pts, 3 assists, 5 to's..........1tko(referee's decision);)

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
rozzie about Barea

Maine 64 NU 56

JJB--15pts, 3 assists, 5 to's..........1tko(referee's decision) -rozzie
You shouldn't pick on Mr. Barea. You're looking through tinted glasses.

JJB is a model citizen who NU is very proud of. His ability speaks volumes and you shouldn't nit pic to find his minor character flaws.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Maine vs. NU

Maine 72 NU 57 - NU Hoop Fan

Northeastern 71 Maine 67.....Maine gets caught up in NU's game and falls just short. - mainejeff

Maine 64 NU 56
JJB--15pts, 3 assists, 5 to's..........1tko(referee's decision)-rozzie

Barea drives on Maine.

Barnes draws major attention, as he should, and shoots the 3 well.

Javorie Wilson goes off.

Robinson gets 4 blocked shots and major offensive boards.

NU holds on for a big road win, 76-70 - unless someone goes beserk and gets "T'd" or thrown out of the game.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>rozzie</b>!
bainsey....wasn't there supposed to be a new sound system put it in? .......sheesh, no offense but at times the new system makes you sound like charlie brown's teacher
wah-wah, wah-wah-wah-wah

[Puts microphone down.]

Aw, c'mon Rozzie. It's actually quite an improvement. If you look up, you'll see the new speakers, and the old white satellite speakers are gone (thankfully). Personally, I like the new cordless mikes that come with it.

Don't blame the speakers. Blame my cold. I guess I better keep quiet to save myself before the game. (Unlikely.)

·
Registered
400 Posts
NU win's. The game will be run and gun. Problem is NU can get easier baskets in transition and 1 on 1. Barea will get Dobson in foul trouble.

Markwood can't score at all!! Don't care what Maine fan's say about his D!!! He stinks on O!! Barea better than Dobson, Barnes better than Reed, WIlson better than Markwood, even at the PF spot, and Robinson better than Flavin.

Maine needs 3's to win!!!!! I hate NU, I just don't think Maine is that good! I think they'll be really good next year! Giannini is doing a great job with this team!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Roz, Bainsey,

I hadn't noticed a difference in the PA ... You want subway-quality sound, just attend the AE tourney at Walter Brown. No pressure on PA person there, nobody can understand him. At least we can understand Bainsey when he says "Hodgeesoteeroff."

UMaine 76, NU 71

After a record eight games attended (six in Orono) before February, looks like I'm getting a midseason break until Bing on Feb. 8.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Chet the Jet</b>!

After a record eight games attended (six in Orono) before February, looks like I'm getting a midseason break until Bing on Feb. 8.
Good job Chet! I too have set a personal record with 11 games attended (five in Durham) before February. My CT to UNH trip is probably similar timewise to your trip to Orono (yours is a more pleasant ride, much less stress!). Missed three others due to weather and alas weather will get me again tonight . I love my alma mater but not enough to deal with the Mass. drivers on the snowy interstate highways (and I believe it is still snowing in Eastern MA). Especially when I couldn't get on the road in time to beat rush hour traffic on I-495!

Just curious, has anybody else attended a significant number of games?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
My tally for the year...

NU Games... 8

UNH Games.. 1

Pete Newell Classic.. 2

Hall of Fame Game.. 1

NU Women's Games.. 2

Wright State.. 1

That's 15 overall... and I may have missed one or two. I plan on hitting 6 more NU games this year.

My record for a season was 40 - 32 NU games, 4 BU Games, 2 Harvard Games, and 2 BC games in 1990-91 (ok I was the manager for NU and went to all of our games, and I scouted BU 4 times).

·
Registered
970 Posts
List doesn't include games other than UMaine. I've also been to three UNH games and a few D3 games. So I guess the number is around 13 or 14.

UNH In Ct: As for our drive comparison, if I can average 74 mph (hasn't been a good year for being able to set the cruise and ride because of lots of precip), I can get from Exit 3 in Kennebunk to Exit 51 in Old Town/Orono in about 2:10. My record is 2:06.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts