Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Heard something similar about Fleming's injury. Clearly missed him tonight. Maine just lacks any kind of dynamic offensive players.

Good game all around. Defense did its job. Had we been able to finish some shots in the 1st Half this could have gotten out of hand quicker, and worse. We were the better team for every minute that mattered.

On to Hartford.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Vermont’s defense will do that. Missing Fleming obviously will make scoring tougher as well.
It's not Vermont. Maine's has scored 57, 53, 49, 52 in its last four games. Without both Fleming and El Darwich playing and healthy, there is zero offense. This is why I am banging the drum that this is likely Maine's high water mark for the coming few seasons. Both those guys graduate this year. Next year is going to be DIRE in Orono.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
It's not Vermont. Maine's has scored 57, 53, 49, 52 in its last four games. Without both Fleming and El Darwich playing and healthy, there is zero offense. This is why I am banging the drum that this is likely Maine's high water mark for the coming few seasons. Both those guys graduate this year. Next year is going to be DIRE in Orono.
You're also banging the drum because when it comes to Maine basketball, you're a sadist. But, point taken.

·
Premium Member
32,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well, Vermont is literally one of the best defensive teams in the country but your comment is certainly valid. Maine has very little in the way of D1-capable offense, outside of Fleming and El Darwich.

That's why in the first meeting after Maine had won a few games and I wrote "if they keep it within 20 it will feel like progress" of course I was not predicting a 20pt+ UVM win, but rather if they keep it under 20 they will likely feel pretty good w/ the outcome. Of course, Maine surpassed all expectations and surprised most by not only losing by less than 20 but only by 2, and actually having a shot to win it. Maine was feeling pretty good, and I thought Maine played a tough, physical game and really bought in on D, and it looks like they are "playing harder" and more cohesive under Barron, but objectively things really aren't much different thus far- Maine is on its way to 20 losses again and losing Fleming and El Darwich next season will be tough shoes to fill.

Barron could hit on one of these foreign players but Woodward did do just that with Alasdair Fraser and Justin Edwards and that wasn't good enough, so will see where this thing goes.....I'm interested.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I would say Ingo has been developing quite nicely for Maine. Barron and his predecease seem to take a height-and-length-above-all-else strategy to recruiting (same with Stony Brook, but we'll see if Ford continues that) and plays that way too (starts FOUR forwards, all are natural 4/5's). What you get with this strategy is a lot of skinny 6'10" trees. But Ingo seems to be developing ok. He has not post play or driving ability, but he can finish near the rim if he's able to catch inside and his perimeter shot is extremely awkward and ugly but it is serviceable and productive if he's open.

Back to the game I was NOT HAPPY with the total lack of motivation and poor defensive effort in the last five minutes by the bench. Letting Maine go on a 13-0 run when you're up by 38 is totally unacceptable. I hope Becker sends the bench this strong message and doesn't pull the starters out in the next blowout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would say Ingo has been developing quite nicely for Maine. Barron and his predecease seem to take a height-and-length-above-all-else strategy to recruiting (same with Stony Brook, but we'll see if Ford continues that) and plays that way too (starts FOUR forwards, all are natural 4/5's). What you get with this strategy is a lot of skinny 6'10" trees. But Ingo seems to be developing ok. He has not post play or driving ability, but he can finish near the rim if he's able to catch inside and his perimeter shot is extremely awkward and ugly but it is serviceable and productive if he's open.

Back to the game I was NOT HAPPY with the total lack of motivation and poor defensive effort in the last five minutes by the bench. Letting Maine go on a 13-0 run when you're up by 38 is totally unacceptable. I hope Becker sends the bench this strong message and doesn't pull the starters out in the next blowout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NOT HAPPY?? Must comment on this one. In a blowout, you pull the starters because:
You don't want an unnecessary injury especially when games might get chippy
You give the scholarship bench players the extra minutes they crave and need to further develop
You also give the walk-ons some minutes as reward for busting their tails all week as the scout team
And out of respect, you don't rub in a blowout to an opponent unless there are extenuating circumstances

The NET Rating benefit of beating a team by 30 rather than 20 is far outweighed by all of the above. But yes, give the offending players hell after the game or at the next practice, or both, for giving up so many points.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts