Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended the men's Hartford game (1800+ in attendance). Prior to the game Coach Pompey(who gives the best pregame synopsis of the opposing teams) really liked the Maine team. He said that Markwood is probably the best defensive player in the conference(which was evident today). Dobsone is an excellent passer and has a terrific ability to back down opposing guards and muscle his way inside for an effective shot(which happened often).He said Reed is one of the youngest and best players in the conference(which he showed today). He said that Flavin has developed moves that are unique in that can go left or right and shoot with either hand which is unique for a 6'10 player(which he showed today).He said Campbell is tough in that he can rebound(which he showed today) but he can be deadly on the perimeter as a shooter.

While Hartford looked ATROCIOUS in the 1st half,Maine looked fantastic. Maine's passing was as good as I've seen in the AE in quite a while.They were totally unselfish and distributed the ball until they found the open man and buried their shots. Flavin looked real good and showed terrific moves.Hard for me to really tell how good he is based on today as he was a good 6 inches taller than anybody guarding him today based on Hartford injuries. Markwood while not a big offensive presence sure pulls his weight on the defensive side. I'd love a guy like this on my team. Reed would be an all-world player if he played Hartford every game. He can also sky and rebound. Dubios looked much more in control this year compared to last year IMHO. I was impressed. Gianninni had some impressive brain popping outbursts. In the second half after Maine went on a 10-0 run to start the half (and were leading by about 312) Hartford finally started playing some ball and closed the gap to 6.This was as close as they got.Baker was the only Hawk who I thought really played well today(though he was overtrying on some turnovers and should have took some shots he passed up). The other guys tried but we just don't have the horses right now. Five minutes before the game the doctor cleared Bosley to play and he declined.

At least this game we had enough players to finish(at BingU we played the end of the game with 4 players during fouling time).

Injury report:

Bosley as usual day to day.....UGH

Goode probably out for the season though he says he's starting to feel better.

Lang......GONE

Parker....GONE

Lowndes....cast is off...can't even hold the ball....out a few more weeks at least...even when he gets back the coaches don't know what he can give seeing that he has barely even practiced with the team this year.

Notes:

Zimnickas is the only player to play in every practice and every game this year.

Parker told me before the game that he really wants to get his eligibility this coming year as he really wants to play with Ruffin next year.

Lalor won't be here until September.

Hartford women have signed to play against UConn for the next 2 years at the Hartford Civic Center.

Congrat's to Maine....you guys could be real interesting come the tourney this year.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
Thanks lsbal for your kind words. It finally seems like this team has some good chemistry and they like playing for Giannini. It should be real intersting next season adding Turner and Jackson to the mix (while losing Flavin and Dobson).

Listened to the end of the womens game. Sounds like the Lady Hawks are as tough as nails, just like Coach Rizotti. They hung inthere until the very end in a hostile environment (2,189 was the attendance tonight). They will be VERY tough to beat in the tourney at home.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going forward

Originally posted by <b>mainejeff</b>!
Thanks lsbal for your kind words. It finally seems like this team has some good chemistry and they like playing for Giannini. It should be real intersting next season adding Turner and Jackson to the mix (while losing Flavin and Dobson).

Listened to the end of the womens game. Sounds like the Lady Hawks are as tough as nails, just like Coach Rizotti. They hung inthere until the very end in a hostile environment (2,189 was the attendance tonight). They will be VERY tough to beat in the tourney at home.

Hartford women will be interesting in the next couple of years as they gell and bring in some new classes to the mix...as this year they are comprised of freshman and sophmores and are looking like thye can play with everybody in the conference. Rizzotti said after the game that you can only try to contain Ernst but she will do her damage. She has earned the right to get the opposing teams fouls that she draws.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the recap, Al. I definitely got nervous as the game went on, but it's good to see your team win games like this when the opposition wakes up.

That's one of the worst injury reports that I've seen in a long time. It certainly doesn't do any good for morale, but then again, if UH can come back on Maine like they did, I'm not sure if I want to face them in the tournament.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Maine looked fantastic in the first half - they must have shot 50% from the floor. Reed was automatic from outside - I was sitting at courside and the guys I was sitting with were really getting on him. They kept telling Reed there were no ball players from Cape Cod - and he kept responding by nailing a three from right in front of us. He would turn around and look at us and smile and we would laugh. By the end of the first half we were telling him to take it easy on us. It was fun - he seems like a really good guy.

Like lsbal said, Hartford looked horrible in the first half eventually going down by 25 in the beginning of the second half. To the young Hawks credit, they didn't give up and ended up cutting it to 6 with about 3 minutes left. Maine was having trouble with the Hawk's trap and I thought Hartford would pull it out, but Dobson (who looked great) then hit a three that killed the Hartford run.

Baker looked very good, but had a few too many turnovers. Regan plays like a bull in a china shop. It is very encouraging to see the Hawks playing as competively as they do each night with the three freshmen (Zimnickas, Taylor, Baker) and walk on getting as much time as they do.

·
Registered
280 Posts
thanks for the recap guys.....like one of BU's captains said after they played Maine, and i paraphrase, "people keep talking about VT, Northeastern, and us.....they better add Maine to the list". i hope he's right.

MJ, Maine only loses Udo and Dobson.....Flavin has to take a course or two this summer and he gets another year back......as Wayne CAmpbell might say, "most excellent".

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Maine is looking really strong for next year, especially if they can sign a good frontcourt recruit in the spring. Losing Dobson hurts, but I think Turner should be able to pick up any slack in the backcourt.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've only seen Turner play in this year's blue/white scrimmage, but from I hear, he's one of the strongest players on the team, if not the strongest. With Turner potentially replacing Dobson, and possibly a healthy Jackson back, Maine will be the deepest in the backcourt I've seen in a long time.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Was Flavin a non-qualifier out of high school or something? Why does he need to take two summer courses to come back next year?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hawk fans,

What was the technical foul call for near the end of the game? Listening on the webcast it was hard to figure out what was going on ... but it sounded like both Harrison and G were angry about something and the next thing we know UHart's shooting a tech.

Also, when listening on the webcast, immediately following Hawks three straight 3s that cut it to eight with a little over 3:00 left, announcer said Reed dropped a 3 that boosted the lead back to 11 just prior to Hawks' final push which cut it to six.

Another poster said it was Dobson. Who was it?

Thanks and I've got to give Hartford kudos, when Bears went up 26, it would have been very easy for club to mail it in. But they didn't. That's a credit to Harrison and the players.

·
Registered
280 Posts
on turner, and i find this hard to believe but i'll repeat it anyway, i was told by someone affiliated with the program that right now, he's the best player on the team and would be a runaway first teamer in the conference.............a la jjb and coppenrath.

if that's true and flavin comes back, they should do well next year as well.

my question for those of you who've seen him play or know of his reputation, how good is turner?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by <b>Chet the Jet</b>!
Hawk fans,

What was the technical foul call for near the end of the game? Listening on the webcast it was hard to figure out what was going on ... but it sounded like both Harrison and G were angry about something and the next thing we know UHart's shooting a tech.

Also, when listening on the webcast, immediately following Hawks three straight 3s that cut it to eight with a little over 3:00 left, announcer said Reed dropped a 3 that boosted the lead back to 11 just prior to Hawks' final push which cut it to six.

Thanks and I've got to give Hartford kudos, when Bears went up 26, it would have been very easy for club to mail it in. But they didn't. That's a credit to Harrison and the players.

Hartford was down by 7 pts and was able to poke the ball away from Reed after the inbounds pass. The ball was loose and Dobson dove for it and was on the ground surrounded by 2 Hawks and called a timeout

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>Chet the Jet</b>!
Hawk fans,

Hartford was down by 7 pts and was able to poke the ball away from Reed after the inbounds pass. The ball was loose and Dobson dove for it and was on the ground surrounded by 2 Hawks and called a timeout while Maine had no timeouts left. I think Giannini was more upset with Dobson not knowing they didn't have any timeouts left and Maine not securing the ball than anything else. Harrison was just screaming that they have no timeouts left.

Southend was right...it was Dobson who put the nail in the coffin with that 3.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've seen him

Originally posted by <b>rozzie</b>!
on turner, and i find this hard to believe but i'll repeat it anyway, i was told by someone affiliated with the program that right now, he's the best player on the team and would be a runaway first teamer in the conference.............a la jjb and coppenrath.

if that's true and flavin comes back, they should do well next year as well.

my question for those of you who've seen him play or know of his reputation, how good is turner?

I had seen him play AAU a few times and he is a terrific player and future AE 1st-teamer IMHO. If I remember correctly Giannini is very good friends with Turner's guardian(Coach Berry?) and therefore they got looks from Turner during his recruiting phase while all of his other visits were with big-time programs. You guys will be VERY pleased with him.

As an aside prior to the game yesterday when the Maine team lined up for the Star Spangled Banner Jerryl Parker crutched over to them and shook hands and talked to Markwood for a few seconds(friendly conversation). Parker told me Markwood was guarding him the day he tore his ligament.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Turner is good! Obviously he was not in UNLV's plans even with Marcus Banks graduating. He is a scorer, not a playmaker. He will take alot of shots and is tough 1 on 1. I don't think Turner and Jackson are chemistry guy's! I think they are about themselves.

The reason Maine is good this year is because of chemistry. They have decent talent but great chemistry!

I know some JUCO guy's who saw Jackson play in Florida and they said he's very, very selfish! Turner was in high school!

I've seen Turner. He will definitely make one of the Top 3 All AE teams but he is not better than Barea or Sorrentine. He's a notch below. Just my opinion!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up lsbal. Like I said, couldn't tell what the heck was going on listening to the webcast.

When Parker went down up at Alfond, it was obvious there was a lot of mutual respect, because all the Maine players and coaches sought him out at the end of the game.

Turner's from Jersey. And remember, G was head coach at Rowan College and still has a lot of friends down that way. That's also how he knew Billy McCaffrey.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts