(exh.)

There were positives:

-Not losing
-Shooting 50+% from the floor
-Fleming scoring 18 points with 10 rebounds in 23 minutes, looking healthy

There were negatives:

-24 turnovers
-7-29 from 3

The season is underway. Next exhibition is Sunday against my dream AE member McGill.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Husson 50
Maine 76

(exh.)

There were positives:

-Not losing
-Shooting 50+% from the floor
-Fleming scoring 18 points with 10 rebounds in 23 minutes, looking healthy

There were negatives:

-24 turnovers
-7-29 from 3

The season is underway. Next exhibition is Sunday against my dream AE member McGill.
McGill in the AE/Hockey East would be pretty sweet. They play 12-man football though, so might they might need to stay in their respective Canadian U-Sports conference for that.

I've found that McGill (and other Canadian universities) take their football surprisingly seriously compared to their other sports. Probably because the OHL/QMJHL/WHL suck all the oxygen out of the room when it comes to amateur Canadian hockey.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
McGill in the AE/Hockey East would be pretty sweet. They play 12-man football though, so might they might need to stay in their respective Canadian U-Sports conference for that.

I've found that McGill (and other Canadian universities) take their football surprisingly seriously compared to their other sports. Probably because the OHL/QMJHL/WHL suck all the oxygen out of the room when it comes to amateur Canadian hockey.
I'd love to see McGill and New Brunswick join the AE. Will never happen, but oh well.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
McGill 63
Maine 70

(exh.)

I am curious whether Maine's rotation this game was an anomaly- Barron trying to figure out who to redshirt- or if it is what Maine will play in the regular season.

Fleming was Fleming at his best: 22 pts, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 blocks on 10-16 from the floor in 37 (37! in an exhibition!) minutes.

El Darwich also played 36 minutes and had 13 and 8. Larsson played 28 minutes and had 10 points.

Outside those three known quantity returners, the high in minutes went to walk-on local boy Taylor Schildroth: 25 minutes, 2-7 from the floor, all 3 pointers. Prijovic and Yagodin started but didn't really do much. Ingo was okay off the bench. No one else got more than token minutes (although Antoms looked okay).

Looking at McGill's schedule, it seems like they were kinda competitive with Albany and Valpo in August, not competitive against USF or Quinnipiac. They are also comfortably midseason (just got thumped by 30 at Ottawa a week ago- not a positive sign).

So, positives: Fleming, still great. El Darwich/Larsson: still mostly competent. Rest of team: yet to form.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not to hijack this Maine BB thread, but it would be an interesting situation to bring McGill over to the NCAA and the AE.

It looks like their football team is pretty bad, would they drop that if they came over to the NCAA? Maybe join the CAA for football and the AE/HE for everything else?

They are a great school, as we all know, they are the "Harvard of Canada"!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Football is the factor keeping any number of schools (CCSU, Bryant, Merrimack, etc.) from being viable AE members. Maybe the AE wouldn't be interested in some or many, but without anywhere to park football, it is tough to add any football schools.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Credit to Maine for actually having a pretty tough non-conference schedule on paper. Outside Maine-Maritime there might not be too many wins to come by. Maybe CCSU, they suck. Portland was 0-16 in the WCC last year so you'd hope? Dartmouth possibly? Merrimack hopefully, but they're quite good for a new to D1 team.

What's a success to Maine fans before conference play? Best case scenario 5 wins before league games start?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts