Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is Binghamton down 40 at Maine with 3 minutes to go??? Maine has good chemistry but 40???

Maine must be shooting the 3 well today!

I guess the great BILLINGS was a no show again!!!!

Can't wait to see Al Walker's quotes after this one!

Great job by Maine!!!!

·
Registered
425 Posts
at Maine 84, Binghamton 51

Well, you never know what you're going to see. This Maine team keeps getting better, and found an achilles Bearcat heal that turned an impressive performance into something I didn't expect --- Maine's biggest lopsided win.

WHAT WORKED: Some great passing on the offensive end (16 total UM assists), and some smart defense in the post. Flavin and Campbell seldom let Billings get too close to the basket with the ball, forcing more outside shot and fewer layups. Over time, with Maine's solid offensive work, Maine pulled away and never looked back. Six Black Bears finished in double figures.

Box score... sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/bo...0402080334

WHAT NEEDS WORK: Offensive rebounding, as Maine only had three. Granted, when you're hitting half of your shots (50.8% FG), there isn't a lot of room for crashing offensive boards. Still, if there's something that didn't shine today, that was it.

WHAT'S UNBELIEVEABLE: Quite frankly, I'm still surprised Binghamton chose to go into the tank so early. Maine had a good run late in the first half, but the Bearcats simply never responded. I was overly unimpressed with this team. By comparison, Maine was up 26 points on Hartford when UH made a gallant effort and came storming back to within six. Binghamton looked to me as if it simply lost heart. It may have been Maine's best result this season, but I've seen Maine play harder against Northeastern and Vermont. It was as if Binghamton didn't want to be here.

WHAT'S UP NEXT: The final third of the conference season starts this week. Maine (14-7, 8-4, fourth place) hosts New Hampshire (6-16, 2-10, ninth place) on Wednesday night.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Five days on a bus.

Not offering it as an excuse. Everybody in the AE must face horrendous travel situations from time to time.

Like Bainsey said, I fully expected Bing to make a run and, well, it just never materialized. Credit goes to Black Bears.

Score was 19-18, something like that, with about six minutes left in the first half, nothing unusual. But then UMaine goes on a tear and closes with a 22-3 run.

Not sure if it was motivational or because he was ill (from Bing's performance), but Walker did not return to Bearcat bench until second half was underway. As a team, Bing didn't return to the floor until there was about a minute of warm-up time left and most of the players just sat on the bench looking around for Walker and waiting for the second half to begin.

Very odd.

By the way, MJeff, it had to be the quietest crowd of 2,100 people I've ever seen. The team goes off at the end of the first half and several times where a rousing ovation for their play is in order when a timeout is called ... nothing. But there I go again. At least we had a couple thousand warm bodies at the game.

Here's a great promotional idea for UMaine: Host the world's largest bean supper before and during each home game. For the price of a ticket, you get a couple red hot dogs, some beans and a drink. Stay for the game (and even hoot and holler a bit) and you get a Moxie on the way out.

All and all, a fun day at UMaine. Black Bears are in the fight once again as we make the turn toward the tournament and that's all we want ... a chance.

·
Registered
280 Posts
well said chet........a very quiet crowd, except when there was a free t-shirt to be had. however, in the crowd's defense, even when it was 19-18, it wasn't an exciting game and maine's 22-3 run to end the half put that to an end. what further twisted the dagger was UM hitting two threes and then a conventional three(although Reed, i think, missed the foul shot) within the first 1 1/2 minutes of the second half.....

i know you were being somewhat tongue-in-cheek about the promotion, but i like it!!! although i'd rather they do the battle of the high school bands like they used to(don't think it's been done in 2 years). the lower bowl under the skyboxes are filled with 8-10 high school bands and the sound of the place is deafening.......oh well, only two more home games left......hopefully a winning team will turn out a crowd of at least 2500 for each.

coach g once again demonstrates what a good coach he is.....team beats him by 14, he turns around and beats them by 33. to me, that is the most amazing thing about him, is that regardless of who they play, they're always in it. whether it is UCLA, Minnesota, St. Louis, etc. UM either pulls an upset or keeps it close. they never get blown out.....ever. not too many coaches can say that, every one has a blow out of 30 plus from time to time.

it's funny, it reminds me of when Notre DAme hired Mike Brey and my ND buddies asked me about him. i told them that I was worried about our irish because Brey wasn't even one of the best three coaches in the conference at the time........Giannini was the best coach, followed by Wolff and then Wright.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Roz, you're right, I just thought it was awfully subdued. But I also realize that a lot of folks would kill for an "average" crowd of around 2,000.

As for the bean supper deal, that was about 10 percent tongue in cheek. I think it would work. Really.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Baked bean suppah, huh? Now all we need is Eddie Driscoll to come out of retirement to promote it. (If you don't live in eastern Maine, you won't get that one.)

It's true that the crowd gets the loudest when the cheerleaders throws t-shirts into the crowd (after every Maine three), and I admit that bugs me. There were quite a few nice dunks and "showtime" plays (it's a shame Chris Bruff lost the ball down the stretch), and that only drew a mild reaction, as if it were another basket. Oh well, I suppose we need to crawl before we can run.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts