Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could pick any 12 players in the league to win as many championships as possible who would who pick and what would be your style of playing on the offensive and defensive ends. Remember that teams need role players to win championships.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
PG - Stephon Marbury
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Rasheed Wallace
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Shaquille O'Neal

Bench:

PG - Steve Nash
SG - Jamal Crawford
SF - Tayshaun Prince
PF - Brian Cook
C - Brad Miller
C - Eddy Curry
G - Frank Williams

Well my PG is Stephon.. I'm sure he could find any of those other players.. need I mention the others are good passers theirselves so this starting lineup would be SET for me.

Then when you look at the bench (It's nothing real special), Key subs easily. You have your bigs (Cook/Miller/Curry), some shooters (Crawford/Prince), and some nice guards that could back Stephon up (Nash/Williams)..

BTW, I didnt wanna make a bench full of superstars.. Just wouldnt seem right, but neither does the starting lineup lol

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Point Guard: Jason Kidd
Shooting Guard: Tracy McGrady
Small Forward: Andrei Kirilenko
Power Forward: Kevin Garnett
Center: Tim Duncan

Bench: Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Ron Artest, Rasheed Wallace, LeBron James, Amare Stoudemire, Zach Randolph

It's not the best player at every spot (though four of the starting spots one could argue are), but players like Wallace and Artest are for defense off the bench (but both have scoring punch), James, Stoudemire and Randolph are young hedges against the future to win for as long as possible, Ray Allen is the pure shooter and Kobe Bryant is just for sheer firepower off the bench.

I think Marbury is a better overall player than Kidd, but this team needs a pass-first, complimentary point guard...a John Stockton rather than an Isaiah Thomas.

Andrei Kirilenko provides a versatile defensive presence with the ability to score but mostly a tough compliment to the four superstars in the lineup.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
If we can have any players in the whole league, here's my 12:

PG: Kidd
SG: TMac
SF: KG
PF: Duncan
C: Shaq

Bench

Kobe
Artest
Peja
Iverson
Pierce
Jermaine
Ben Wallace
Dirk

Coach: Phil Jackson (wouldn't need to coach this team much, just keep them calm and let the talent do the work).

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
I'm going to try and do this semi-plausibly...

PG Mike Bibby / Gilbert Arenas
SG Ray Allen / Manu Ginobili
SF Ron Artest / Andrei Kirilenko
PF Tim Duncan / Elton Brand
C Brad Miller / Vlade Divacs

It's a borderline All-Star team I guess. I know that's only 10.

Here's a team I would just really like to watch:

PG Speedy Claxton / TJ Ford
SG LeBron James / Michael Redd
SF Rashard Lewis / Andrei Kirilenko
PF Tim Duncan / Rasheed Wallace
C Brad Miller / Samuel Dalembert

·
Registered
209 Posts
PG: Stephon Marbury
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Tracy McGrady
PF: Tim Duncan

Bench

Steve Nash
Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Kevin Garnett
Dirk Nowitzki
Elton Brand
Jermaine O'Neal

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
PG - Iverson
SG - McGrady
SF - Garnett
PF - Duncan
C - Shaq

BENCH

Yao
Carmelo
Dirk
Andrei Kirilenko
Marion
Kidd
Brad Miller

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
My most fun team to watch:

Point Guard: LeBron James / Stephon Marbury / Jason Kidd
Shooting Guard: Kobe Bryant / Ray Allen / Allen Iverson
Small Forward: Tracy McGrady / Vince Carter / Shawn Marion
Power Forward: Rasheed Wallace / Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Center: Kevin Garnett

Only one center, and even he is a bit slender. ;) But what can I say...I prefer to watch the slick, stylish perimeter players over the big man game, even though I believe big men are the key to success over the long haul.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
PG: Kidd, Jason Williams
SG: Artest, Redd, B. Barry
SF: Dirk, Marion
PF: K. Garnett, J. O'Neil, KMart
C: Ben Wallace, Yao Ming

I picked this team, and love to watch them.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
PG - Brent Barry/Bobby Jackson
SG - Ray Allen/Manu Ginobili
SF - Ron Artest/Tayshaun Prince
PF - Tim Duncan/Theo Ratliff
C - PJ Brown/Erick Dampier

I chose Brent Barry because hes a tall point, and can handle the rock well and see the floor. He can also shoot very well, got a 49% FG and 44% 3pt. That would come in handy with Duncan. Bobby Jackson would get almost equal minutes, but off the bench him and Ginobili are more effective as energy guys. Allen can shoot the lights out, which would come in handy with Duncan. Artest and Prince are defensive guys who can contribute on offense some as well. The offense would be run through Duncan, I chose Brown and Ratliff, because they are both capable of playing the PF and center. That would make rotations easier and more flexible. Not to mention, Brown can hit a midrange shot if his man doubles. The 4 post guys make it difficult to score, and once the shot is up you'd hardly get a 2nd chance because they are great rebounders.

I tried not to stack up superstars like most peoples team, mine has Duncan/Allen/Artest who are all star calibur players.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
If it was just for one season, my starting 5 would be:

Kidd
Kobe
Garnett
Duncan
Shaq

What an unstoppable team.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
PG: Jason Kidd/Stephon Marbury
SG: Tracy McGrady/Kobe Bryant
SF: Kevin Garnett/Andrei Kirilenko
PF: Tim Duncan/Dirk Nowitzki
C: Shaquille O´Neal/Yao Ming

·
Esquire
8,573 Posts
PG- Nash
SG- McGrady
SF- Artest
PF- KG
C- Duncan

PG- Kidd
SG- Kobe
SF- Dirk
PF- Jermaine O'Neal
C- Shaq

Kirilenko
Yao Ming

·
Registered
729 Posts
I came up with two teams. I think the first team is more talented but the second team would be more fun to watch and might even be a better team.

Pg: Marbury
Sg: Kobe
Sf: T-Mac
Pf: Duncan

Pg: J.Kidd
Sg: Lebron
Sf: The Matrix (I think Shawn would be a good fit)
Pf: KG
C: Duncan

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Now how about a team that would be under or close to the cap?

:D

·
Registered
304 Posts
GUARDS:
J.Kidd- At the age of 30 Kidd will stay the best "Pure PG" in the league for the next 3-4 years, where he will start. And will keep on playing until he´s 37-38, possibly 39...I see him being a 5-8ppg and 8+apg with 30-32mpg while he starts and a fairly decent PG off the bench after that with 5-6apg...

L.James- He won´t be starting until he´s 23-24 but in the mean while he will be receiving a generous 20-22mpg, scoring 10-13ppg to go along his 3apg. And learning from a master like Kidd will contribute in developing his PG game...When he starts, at around 23, he will be getting 18-23ppg to complement his 6-7apg with 35-38mpg until he´s 30 years old...

T.McGrady- Being a year younger than Kobe I chose him...At 24 he will be a 23-27ppg with 35-38mpg until he´s 30, and a decent SG until he´s 35...

D.Wade and K.Hinrich...

FORWARDS:
KG and Duncan- Both being 27, will be starters until they´re 33-34 years old combining for 32-35ppg, 20-22rpg, and 4-6apg with around 32-34mpg each. One of them could slip into C for support in the early years...After going to bench they would still combine for 18ppg and 12rpg with 15mpg each for 3-4 more years...

C.Boozer- I chose him over Randolph because he defense wouldn´t be a weakness for the team, and over Brand because he is 2 years younger, plus he could model his game after Duncan while he sits on the bench for 6-7 years, getting 8ppg and 5rpg with 15mpg. That means he would be starting at the age of 28-29 with a good 4-5 years of play left in him where he could get 16-18ppg and 10rpg with +40mpg...

C.Anthony- 19 years old...before he starts together with Boozer he will be getting 8ppg and 3rpg with 15mpg...Starting at the age of 26 he would be putting up decent numbers of 17-19ppg and 6-7rpg with 36-38mpg until he´s 34-35...

E.Brand and Z.Randolph...

CENTERS:
Yao- 23 years old, will be starting until he retires...He will be getting 16-19ppg and 8-14rpg during his first 10 years...

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>stevemc</b>!
Now how about a team that would be under or close to the cap?

:D
Not that tough, with rookies / young players. ;)

Point Guard: LeBron James
Shooting Guard: Tracy McGrady
Small Forward: Carmelo Anthony
Power Forward: Zach Randolph
Center: Tim Duncan

Bench: Amare Stoudemire, Darko Milicic, Tyson Chandler, Jamal Crawford, Chris Bosh, Tayshawn Prince, Caron Butler

Two expensive players in McGrady and Duncan and the rest are all on rookie contracts. Should be a modest payroll.

Of course, this team could get expensive in the future... ;)

·
Let's Go Streaking!
6,994 Posts

Point Guard: Jason Kidd
Shooting Guard: Vince Carter
Small Forward: Kevin Garnett
Power Forward: Tim Duncan
Center: Shaq.

Bench: Stephon Marbury, Kobe Bryant, T-Mac, Dirk., Yao, Nash, C. Bosh

1 - 20 of 39 Posts