Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Manahattan healthy and ready for this battle?

Is CJ Anderson ready?

Based on last years performances I am taking the Jaspers.

This would be a great win for them.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Early line is Seton Hall by 4. And you basically get 4 points for being at home. You do the math.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
This is Gonzo's audition for the Seton Hall job - as Orr may not last the season. Manhattan by double-digits.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I agree Gonzo very well may be coaching at the Hall next season, although I think Orr makes it through the season

It’s a game Manhattan can win, but I believe they will have to play flawless to win looking at it player by player:

In the back court, Donald Copeland would be a ALL MAAC player a clear edge over a solid but unspectacular Wingate,

Nutter is very explosive I’d give him a slight edge over Xavier ,

Whitney is a better player than Debois,

I will presume Gaines is better than Austin ( although I really don’t know that since Austin is a freshmen)

Billmeir and Cousins are both big players that could give Manhattan fits, although neither player normally scores much

Manhattan might have the best player on the floor in CJ Anderson, and when you have the best player you always have a chance.

If Manhattan was playing at home or a neutral court I’d like the Jaspers chances better, the Hall by 7

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Analysis Siena Tony

I would say - Manhattan has better team chemistry and the experience of playing together. They are a much better coached team. Team chemistry will prevail over talent this early in the season. I would bet that Manhattan is better prepared this early in the season as well.

Seton Hall has a better team overall, they are more athletic and talented but Orr doesn't seem to get the best out of his players. They have the ability to win by double digits but it won't happen this early in the season against a team like Manhattan. I see them continuing their poor play from last year until they find a leader or two that can bring things together. If no one steps up they will be at the bottom of the Big East.

They were very disapointing last year. They lost a great deal of talent. They picked up some really good players this year. I remember Stu Gaines from Minnesota.

I am looking forward to watching this game. I say it's going down to the wire - decided in the last couple of minutes by a basket or two.

Thanks for everyones feedback it is appreciated.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I pretty much agree with Tony's analysis of the probable starting 5's. I think much of the game hangs on Dubois' ability to stay out of foul trouble, since MC doesn't really have another big man they can rely on at this point.

Still, SHU has issues, aside from their coaching. While last year's SHU team was mediocre, at best, will they be able to replace Cerasoli, Allen, Sweet, and Morris - 4 of their top 6 players from last year - better than Manhattan can replace their best player (Mulligan)?

I also don't think that the Kids in the Hall get a whole lot of lift from playing in the cavernous Brendan Byrne Branniff Airlines Arena, especially against lightly regarded non-conference fodder. Last year, albeit with a largely different cast of characters, SHU barely squeaked past SPC by 3, St. Francis by 1, and a decent Drexel team by 4.

If the assumption that the better mid-majors can compete with the bad teams from major conferences is true, Manhattan should win this one. I will be very disappointed if they don't.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I agree with Tony that the Hall may be Bobby G's next stop if the SH falters this year and Orr is out. That being said, it is a good thing that this is not the Manhattan board or Cricket would be all over us for suggesting that Bobby might be leaving. If Manhattan performs as expected, I expect Bobby will get the nod somewhere in the East. We all know that he will not go South or West.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Question for MC fans. What is the projected starting line up? I have seen or read little from Gonzo on who his starters will be. I expect to see Wingate, Minor, Xavier, CJA and Dubios start tonight. Is this what most think or will Austin get the nod over Minor?

·
Registered
672 Posts
minor won't start, it will either be Austin, Guy or Kono,it will probably be Guy, and have him jump for the ball. Play 3 minutes let seton hall know they don't have a size advanatage, and then bring in austin. Minor if healthy will only come in to give wingate and xavier blows most likely

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
VealCutlet said:
If the assumption that the better mid-majors can compete with the bad teams from major conferences is true, Manhattan should win this one. I will be very disappointed if they don't.
Bingo, Veal.

Jaspers will win outright.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is what I have to say about Gonzo leaving MC of the Hall. I think that it would be a descent fit for both parties, however, I doubt that credentials of the successor will be based soley upon this game. I can see that even if MC wins this game, but loses many others this season, he will not get the job. Also, if gonzo loses this game, there are ways for him to still receive the job. We dont even know if Orr is gone yet. Odds that Gonzo lands at Seton Hall next year, I will estimate at 35% based upon,

1. Gonzo hasn't proved he can win without Flores yet
2. Orr hasn't even been fired and could still have a good season
3. There are other viable candidates out there.

If Gonzo does leave, there is a bright side for MC fans..........the Steve Masiello era will begin.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I say Manhattan still would have a good chance. We learned through the scrimmage against St. Joes that Manhattan does not soley rely on Anderson to lead the team. We can be competitive with or without him on the floor. Anderson is a good player but others on the team have proven they can step up ie Xavier, Wingate or Dubois. Look for a good MC squad out on that floor tonite. I would say all we need from CJA is those 13 points and 7rbds as long as it takes attention away from our other players

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think Gaines can contain Anderson. Anderson will make everyone forget about Mulligan before Christmas gets here. Anderson can do so many other things that can help his team win. I hope he has a all american year. This is Gaines first game back after a year layoff. I saw him play numerous times at Minnesota. He will be a bit rusty and focusing on just getting through this game and playing decent.

Don't underestimate this SH team. They have great size and some very good talent. Nobody really knows how there going to play as a group with the new players. Hopefully their attitude will be better this year.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Beagle said:
If Stan Gaines contains CJA to say 13 points and 7 boards what chance do you give MC?
If 13 and 7 is "contained" that's quite a compliment to CJA.

Given your scenario, If Xavier goes for 21, Dubois gets 13, Wingate 9, and Austin, Kono, and Minor get 5 apiece, I still like MC's chances.

·
Registered
672 Posts
damn i guess beagle is really hoping we lose tonight, making a point and then once we come up with some counter points, coming up with a new one, the other night someone said st. peters game was big for the maac, wrong, this is a big game for the maac, The best all around player playing against the big east. Mulligan who? no offense to peter but i think its time that CJ will really shine, anyone remember the dunk against NC STATE? with austin and xavier shooting from the outside, and dubois playing solid down low. Could be a show case night, if manhattan was at home or at the garden id say manhattan by 15-20. This is the most athletic team we have had in years, deepest as well. only thing this team needs to learn how to do is to win on the road. thats the real question mark of this team. Manhattan by 11.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Three comments:

1. Do not get baited by Beagle here. He is of the belief that no MAAC team will win any game of significance this season except for Rider. He doesn't even get why Iona and Manhattan are coming in as the league's favorites, let alone how it's very possible that the MAAC will go at least 2-2 vs Seton Hall this year. :nah:

2. Let's not overhype Seton Hall, either. They were picked to be garbage in the Big East. They simply won't be very good, and they certainly won't have much of a home court edge, particularly against coaches who know how to prepare for games against majors (Gonzo and Ruland).

3. It's not too late for everyone who reads this post to join in the FUN and get into the Point Spread game. Follow the link to get in the game: http://www.voy.com/119252/

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
First off I hope the MAAC wins every OoC game. I have a friend on the SHU team so I may know a little about the team, It may also cloud my judgement. In looking at tonight's game here is what I think will happen and why I don't think any of the 4 MAAC teams SHU plays will beat them. Position by position PG Copeland/Wingate advantage Copeland SG Nutter/Xavier Xavier is improving and I like his game Nutter is also a very good player I will give a slight edge to X. SF Gaines/Austin Advantage Gaines PF Whitney/CJA Toss up call it even which is not a knock on CJA whitney is a very good player and would be a POY favorite if he were in the MAAC C Cousin/Doubios Advantage Cousin. Starters SHU is better at 3 spots with Manhattan ahead at one and one even. Size Shu is bigger and stronger at every position except wingate may have an inch on Copeland. Bench SHU has talent at all 5 back-up positions Gause, Laing, Palmer, Billmeier would all be stars in the MAAC, big advantage SHU. I feel this game may be close for the first 15 minutes with the teams feeling each other out. I don't think Manhattan will be able to press Copeland he has a good handle and will be able to break the press. I see Manhattan with numerous defensive issues guarding SHU, if CJA guards whitney I think he may get in foul trouble, Dubios is going to foul out of this game, Austin will also be in foul trouble as most freshmen find them selves in guarding a bigger stronger player. If MC plays zone which is not a defense they play often most times play a in your face trapping/pressing man to man defense I think Shu will be able to beat the zone with their size advantage and Nutters/Laing/Gause outside shooting. I don't know how SHU will gell defensively they have alot of new faces sos I think MC will be able to get some points. In the second half I expect SHU to wear down and pull away to a 10 point victory. I will give Gonzo an edge in coaching which will keep the game close. I don't feel that SHU is unbeatable but I don't see any of the MAAC teams matching up well against them and able to beat them on their home court with SHU getting the benifit of the home whistle. Guy we can go over Rider's games later in the week. If Rider was playing SHU tonight I would pick SHU to win the game. Guy I understand why Iona and MC are the favorites in the MAAC and don't have a issue with them being picked there I have an issue with how they are going to be better RPI wise then they were last year with the players that graduated. mc has a bit more of a case to be better starting 3 freshmen last year and adding Austin with losing Mulligan. Iona has added nobody to replace Jenkins, I know you feel they will play better as a team with out Jenkins but I will need to see it against good OoC teams before beleiving it

1 - 20 of 28 Posts