Discussion Starter #1
In the 9 games since Duncan went down against the Pistons:

12.4 ppg
.348 fg%
3.6 apg
4.9 rpg
1.7 spg

This guy was an all-star?

Now I know he's been fighting injuries and what not but still...

I think he's a nice player, but I've never understood the facination a lot of people have with him. With Duncan out he's supposed to be the go-to guy and he's being exposed pretty badly.

Overrated?

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
Definitely. He has very good bball IQ, with which he dismantled a US team in the Olympics that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the ball. He has decent athleticism but the only thing he REALLY has is great skills. However it doesn't make him a star level player. I feel he lives off a lot of cheap fouls and getting to the line but that's just my observation. Duncan's the only player that I really like on the Spurs and he's the one that makes all these guys look like stars. The fact of the matter is that they are really a notch below star quality. Once again, just my opinions.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
He's always been overrated, I've been saying this for the last couple of years. He's an exciting player and he does a lot of good things, but in the end he's just a role player. Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
he's in slumps, a bad case. Duncan being out to bail him out also factors in... hopefully MVP voters realize that Duncan is the real MVP this season...

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
yeah, I think he may be overrated....he gets superstar calls even though he's nowhere near a superstar..I can't stand him

...he travels everytime he takes the ball to the basket...and he's the guard versionof Vlade Divac when it comes to flopping..yes he is exciting, but he's a turnover waiting to happen...so yeah, he and parker are both overrated

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Neither is overrated, but especially not Parker. He gets almost no recognition. The Spurs are still winning half their games without Duncan, so the Spurs must have somebody decent.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've thought for a long time that Manu was overrated, and never thought that he deserved an all-star. Some people say that he was a terrific defender, which I also don't think is true. He is a crafty player, and a great role-player, but I never think he'll be a first option, or anything to that effect. Also, someone said Manu is the white Jordan, and that is absurd.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I also think Tony Parker is kind of overrated, and not that deserving of an all-star spot. He is a good point guard, very quick, a pretty good passer (not great though), not a great shooter, not a great defender, a decent scorer...

I really don't agree with the people who say he is an all-star caliber player.

·
Registered
721 Posts
LuckyAC said:
0/4 on free throws tonight - something is wrong
Yeah, um, that wasn't just Manu that didn't play well tonight.

TD is what is our whole offense is built around, take away the star and no matter how good you may be something wrong will go down. Either way, he has been hurt a lot, and I'm not making excuses, he's had many, many great games.

He's improved every year, and this year he's been pretty much consistant on a nightly basis, except for tonight, but that was the worst game we've had in a long time, nobody was on during that one.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
I also think Tony Parker is kind of overrated, and not that deserving of an all-star spot. He is a good point guard, very quick, a pretty good passer (not great though), not a great shooter, not a great defender, a decent scorer...

I really don't agree with the people who say he is an all-star caliber player.
Overated...After the first 2 games of the Laker series last year he was 1st ballot hall of famer

·
Registered
721 Posts
tone wone said:
Overated...After the first 2 games of the Laker series last year he was 1st ballot hall of famer
How is Parker overrated? He's never mentioned with top-tier guards whenever I believe he's probably the 8th best PG in the NBA... if not 8th then cracking the 10th spot at least.

You never hear anybody talk about him. Now, Marbury is overrated, Francis is overrated. Parker doesn't even come close to the hype they get nightly.

To be overrated you need to be hyped tremendously, and I've seriously never heard many people outside of Texas or San Antonio even mention Tony Parker.

Manu isn't overrated, he's not. Look outside the stat box, and look at what he's done for the Spurs this year. Let me tell you this, it wasn't just all-Duncan. It was Duncan and 4 starters.

Also, people should stop talking about how he didn't deserve to be in the ASG. That was months ago, get over it, please. He definitely deserved it if you look past this slump. He's one of the most exciting players in the league, and the ASG is about excitement and offense.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Nephets said:
How is Parker overrated? He's never mentioned with top-tier guards whenever I believe he's probably the 8th best PG in the NBA... if not 8th then cracking the 10th spot at least.

You never hear anybody talk about him. Now, Marbury is overrated, Francis is overrated. Parker doesn't even come close to the hype they get nightly.

To be overrated you need to be hyped tremendously, and I've seriously never heard many people outside of Texas or San Antonio even mention Tony Parker.

Manu isn't overrated, he's not. Look outside the stat box, and look at what he's done for the Spurs this year. Let me tell you this, it wasn't just all-Duncan. It was Duncan and 4 starters.
Tony not overrated? He was considered for an all-star spot this year, people must be talking about him.

I agree that Manu has been tremendous for the Spurs, but I don't think he's been all-star caliber.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
These are all the point guards I'd rank above Tony Parker, in no particular order

Jason Kidd
Stephon Marbury
Steve Francis
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Mike Bibby
Baron Davis
Chauncey Billups
Jamaal Tinsley
Gilbert Arenas

I think a case could be made for Jameer Nelson too, he's been incredible ever since he was put in a starting position

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ps!ence_Fiction said:
These are all the point guards I'd rank above Tony Parker, in no particular order

Jason Kidd
Stephon Marbury
Steve Francis
Allen Iverson
Steve Nash
Mike Bibby
Baron Davis
Chauncey Billups
Jamaal Tinsley
Gilbert Arenas

I think a case could be made for Jameer Nelson too, he's been incredible ever since he was put in a starting position
Nelson over Parker... this season? A rookie over a young stud who is just continually getting better?:confused:

... And he's still only 22 or 23 years old.

I swear, people forget that Parker is the front-runner for one of the best teams in the entire league, but somehow Tinsley (who has been injured a ton) and Nelson are better?

The others I agree on, except for Crybaby Francis (who is an SG now) and maybe Marbury.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Mike luvs KG said:
In the 9 games since Duncan went down against the Pistons:

12.4 ppg
.348 fg%
3.6 apg
4.9 rpg
1.7 spg

This guy was an all-star?

Now I know he's been fighting injuries and what not but still...

I think he's a nice player, but I've never understood the facination a lot of people have with him. With Duncan out he's supposed to be the go-to guy and he's being exposed pretty badly.

Overrated?
Good post! Yeah, I wish any teams being racists and dont care about the loss and throw the Vince Carter playoff 2000 defense at him to make sure that NBA is no FUN at all then he will just resign with his team and go back to Argentia, freaking player.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Where are the idiots who said they would take him over T-mac? :laugh:

Ginobili's a nice 3rd option on a team w/ a legit go-to-guy. But he would completely suck as THE MAN in the nba.....which he has so far.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
SPMJ said:
Where are the idiots who said they would take him over T-mac? :laugh:

Ginobili's a nice 3rd option on a team w/ a legit go-to-guy. But he would completely suck as THE MAN in the nba.....which he has so far.
Well, those idots are smarter than you without reading your posts. Why? SPMJ? LMAO at SPMJ? what that hell is it? Must be some idiot making the screen name up.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
If Ginobili and Parker along with other Spurs are as overrated as some of you say he is because of Duncan, then we are talking about Duncan being hands down the best player in basketball and easily a top 5-7 player of all time. If all these guys are night and day with and without Duncan, then Duncan needs to be getting more recognition, and inserted into the same all time class with Shaq, Magic and Bird.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts