Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said Sunday that Detroit Pistons and U.S. Olympic basketball coach Larry Brown wasn't qualified to criticize the stance Cuban and other owners have taken against international play by their athletes.

"This is a topic that's easy for Larry to comment on," Cuban said in an e-mail to The Dallas Morning News. "He has never had to write the check for an NBA payroll in his life." - Cuban

From Brown's side
He believes the presence of NBA players on the 1992 Dream Team helped develop many of the foreign players now in the NBA.

"If the Dream Team didn't go, maybe he wouldn't have half his players," Brown said of Cuban. "Maybe these kids would be playing soccer or something else. That makes me sick."

Screw the court- things are heating up in the offices of the NBA

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
They both have valid points, but I'm going to have to side with Cuban on this one.

Larry should mind his own business and worry about coaching seeing as his Pistons lost to Cuban's Mavs this past weekend.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The U.S. team IS Larry's buisness.

I like Mark Cuban and think a lot of owners could learn something from him, but he can be an idiot at times, and this is one of those times.

Basically he wants to sabatoge our chances at an Olympic gold so he can protect an investment.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
in 92 some of these kids(like darko) were 6 or 7 years old. i actually thought the 96 team with kemp and coleman grabbing their crotches after dunks is what got kids interested in basketball. come on larry focus on something that matters like how you treat your own foreigners and stop worrying about the guys that play for dallas.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!

I like Mark Cuban and think a lot of owners could learn something from him, but he can be an idiot at times, and this is one of those times.

Basically he wants to sabatoge our chances at an Olympic gold so he can protect an investment.
Unless you're from Germany or Canada I don't see how this "sabatoges our chances at an Olympic gold"

If anything, by keeping Dirk off the German squad and Nash off the Canadian team he helps US's chances at winning gold. I guess your logic works in some other way....

How is he being an idiot anyways? He's defending himself, what is he supposed to do back down to Larry "I'm all up in someone else's business cause his team beat mine this weekend" Brown? Cuban would be Cuban if he was a punk ***** and didn't say something back.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
Sorry but I really don't see Brown's point... so he's against development of international basketball players?? Just shows you how old-fashion his thinking is...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yao Mania</b>!
Sorry but I really don't see Brown's point... so he's against development of international basketball players?? Just shows you how old-fashion his thinking is...
uhh, he said if the U.S. didn't participate in the Olympics a lot of the international players who are stars would never have picked up the game. does that sound like he's against international development?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!

And (even if we were talking about US players which as stevemc points out, we are not), why should Mark Cuban be the one to put millions of dollars at risk so that the US can win an Olympic gold medal? If it's so important to you why aren't you volunteering thousands of dollars to help the US win a Gold Medal? Mark Cuban is in no way obligated to put his investments on the line, nor should he.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
We're not talking about just Cubans players, read the article guys, he wants NO pro's to be playing in the Olympics and wants to pay college players to do it, that affect everyone, not just his players. The rest of the world is to good now for us to just send college players off to the olympics.

And here's another unseen ramification of barring NBA players from the olympics: a lot of foreign draft picks have a hard enough time as it is getting out of their overseas contracts, but if we stop allowing foreign NBA players to go back to their country and play in international competition in the summer, they are going to try even HARDER to keep their players out of the NBA because they actually still care about the Olympics.

The part that makes Cuban look like an idiot is this:

"Or better yet, why doesn't coach Brown quit the Pistons and donate his services and enough money to support a program that pays college-age players a stipend to be part of USA Basketball and represent our country?" Cuban said. "Now that would be patriotic."

"To help out, I would even match however much coach Brown donated to the cause and help raise money for the team," Cuban said.
Umm, Mark, Larry is already donoting his summers that he could be spending at home with his family to U.S. Basketball. I know it's easy to write checks when you are a billionare, but Brown has already devoted his time and effort to the olympic team. Sorry Mark, it's going to take a lot more than a signature and a smile to match what Larry has done for U.S. Basketball.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Umm, Mark, Larry is already donoting his summers that he could be spending at home with his family to U.S. Basketball. I know it's easy to write checks when you are a billionare, but Brown has already devoted his time and effort to the olympic team. Sorry Mark, it's going to take a lot more than a signature and a smile to match what Larry has done for U.S. Basketball.
Well Said:yes:

·
Registered
427 Posts
I can defintely understand where Cuban is coming from, but basketball isn't (or shouldn't be) about making money. It's about the game, and preventing players from going to the Olympics isn't good for the game.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Playing internationally is more respected then playing NBA. Let the players have some pride. If Cuban says no then he is a little bisnitch that needs a talken' to. The games for hockey are insanely intense up here in Canada as in kids get off of doing work to watch the game in the gym when it was the JUNIOR HOCKEY finals. These things are much more hyped then the NBA finals and they should be.

·
Registered
385 Posts
After reading Cuban's quotes I am pretty sure that he doesn't want any players to play internationally because they can get hurt. He wants to be able to void thier contracts if they are injured like the Bulls did with Jay Williams. This is not what happens now because the NBA incourages international play because it is good (free) advertising for the league.
What happens if a player blows out his knee playing 1 on1 with his kid. Should he have his contract voided?
This is a very line here but I can see where Cuban is coming from.

·
Registered
793 Posts
This is not what happens now because the NBA incourages international play because it is good (free) advertising for the league.
Well said. Now imagine how many foreigners would boycott Nba for not letting their key players play at Olympics (or other tournaments). European clubs would demand higher buy-outs for players contracts and so on... Nba would loose a lot.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Actually, not allowing NBA players to compete in international competition would solve a lot of headaches as far as contentious buy-outs and the like. The NBA could withdraw from the international basketball federation and would thus no longer be bound by it's rules, including prominently the agreement not to sign any player currently under contract in a foreign league. There still might be some questions under international business law, but overall I'd think it would greatly expedite the process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.