Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Former NBA first-round selection Marcus Fizer has been acquired from the NBA Development League available player pool by the Austin Toros. To make room on the roster, the Toros waived forward Randy Orr. The 6-8, 260-pound forward from Iowa State was the fourth overall selection by the Chicago Bulls in the 2000 NBA Draft. A five-year NBA veteran, he played four seasons in Chicago before playing the 2004-05 season with the Milwaukee Bucks. Fizer has played in 268 career NBA games, averaging 21.0 minutes, 9.7 points and 4.7 rebounds." InsideHoops.com

From bottom of http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

·
Registered
78 Posts
wow thats crazy. One of my buddies said he saw him playing a pickup game at loyola university in chicago. He said he was playing reallllllly soft.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
I see Marcus Fizer all the time -- whenever I have one of my recurring nightmares about the 2000 draft.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
ScottMay said:
I see Marcus Fizer all the time -- whenever I have one of my recurring nightmares about the 2000 draft.
That draft class is shaping up as pretty awful. What a bad draft to have 6 picks in...

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Squeamish? Turn your head.

1. New Jersey Kenyon Martin Cincinnati Sr. PF 6-9 230
2. Vancouver Stromile Swift LSU So. PF 6-9 235
3. LA Clippers Darius Miles Lincoln HS Sr. SF 6-9 200
4. Chicago Marcus Fizer Iowa State Jr. PF 6-8 240
5. Orlando (from GS) Mike Miller Florida So. SF 6-8 218
6. Atlanta DerMarr Johnson Cincinnati Fr. SF 6-9 200
7. Chicago *(To Cleveland) Chris Mihm Texas Jr. C 7-0 262
8. Cleveland *(To Chicgo) Jamal Crawford Michigan Fr. PG/SG 6-6 195
9. Houston *(To Milwaukee) Joel Przybilla Minnesota So. C 7-1 240
10. Orlando *(To LA Clippers) Keyon Dooling Missouri So. PG 6-3 180
11. Boston Jerome Moiso UCLA So. PF 6-10 230
12. Dallas Etan Thomas Syracuse Sr. PF 6-9 231
13. Orlando *(To Dallas) Courtney Alexander Fresno St. Sr. SG 6-5 200
14. Detroit Mateen Cleaves Michigan St. Sr. PG 6-2 190
15. Milwaukee *(To Houston) Jason Collier Georgia Tech Sr. C 7-0 230
16. Sacramento Hidayet Türkoglu Efes Pilsen (Turkey) SF 6-8 1979
17. Seattle Desmond Mason Oklahoma St. Sr. SG 6-6 207
18. LA Clippers (from Tor) Quentin Richardson Depaul So. SG 6-6 225
19. Charlotte Jamaal Magloire Kentucky Sr. PF 6-9 230
20. Philadalphia Craig Claxton Hofstra Sr. PG 5-11 180
21. Toronto (Minn via Den) Morris Peterson Michigan St. Sr. SG/SF 6-6 215
22. New York *(To Dal) Donnell Harvey Florida Fr. PF 6-8 216
23. Utah (from Miami) DeShawn Stevenson Washington Union HS SG 6-5 210
24. Chicago (fom SA) Dalibor Bagaric Benston Zagreb (Croatia) C 7-1 215 1980
25. Phoenix *(Orl or Hou) Jake Tsakalidis AEK Greece (Sukhumi, Georgia) C 7-2 220
26. Denver (from Utah) Mamadou N'diaye Auburn Sr. C 7-0 235
27. Indiana (GS has option) Primoz Brezec Olimpija Ljubljana (Slovenia) C 7-0 1979
28. Portland Erick Barkley St Johns So. PG 6-1 170
29. LA Lakers Mark Madsen Stanford Sr. PF 6-8 235

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
There were actually plenty of good players in that draft... we just didn't draft any of them except Crawford. Voskhul's stuck in the league, so I guess he should count too.

Throw aside the contraversy over him here and he's at least turned into a guy who can produce pretty well for an NBA team. But coming in he had to be one of the least ready to play players selected in the lottery in this decade. Up there with Darko, Skita, and Kwame Brown. And then he blew out his knee too, making two of his four seasons with us basically complete wastes.

Crawford issues aside, what the 2000 Bulls needed was a guy who could contribute immediately and he was so far from ready there it was ridiculous.

Granted, there weren't a lot of stars in that class, but there were plenty of guys that could help a team there:
Mike Miller
Mihm
Pryzbilla
Etan Thomas
Hedo Turkoglu
Des Mason
Q
Magloire
Speedy Claxton
Morris Peterson

All those guys went after Fizer at #4 but before Bagaric.

Selected after Bagaric (#24) were Primoz Brezec, Mark Madsen, and Marko Jaric

Selected after the Bulls three second round picks (#32-34) were Eddie house, Eduardo Najera, Lavor Postell, Michael Redd, Brian Cardinal, and Jason Hart.

--------------

By the way, when we traded Voskuhl, we got Soumalia Samake, and a 2003 second round pick that became Matt Bonner picked (#45), whom we promptly traded to the Raptors for their 2004 second round pick, which turned out to be #38, Chris Duhon.

Thus, Chris Duhon, Othella Harrington and Eric Piatkowski (the remaining "assets" from the Crawford trade) are the fruits of our 2000 draft after 5 and a half years.

·
Remember My Name
5,229 Posts
the last 10 "4th pick"'s

2005 chris paul
2004 shaun livingston
2003 chris bosh
2002 drew gooden
2001 eddy curry
2000 marcus fizer
1999 lamar odom
1998 antawn jamison (immediatly traded for vince carter)
1997 antonio daniels
1996 stephon marbury (immediatly traded for ray allen)

·
Remember My Name
5,229 Posts
actually that doesnt cover the whole story, if you look which players where picked later....
we wherent that fortunate like the dallas cowboys, who got all the championship parts in one draft.

i would actually like to know, what the bulls fans feelings where when fizer got drafted

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
onetwo88 said:
"Former NBA first-round selection Marcus Fizer has been acquired from the NBA Development League available player pool by the Austin Toros. To make room on the roster, the Toros waived forward Randy Orr. The 6-8, 260-pound forward from Iowa State was the fourth overall selection by the Chicago Bulls in the 2000 NBA Draft. A five-year NBA veteran, he played four seasons in Chicago before playing the 2004-05 season with the Milwaukee Bucks. Fizer has played in 268 career NBA games, averaging 21.0 minutes, 9.7 points and 4.7 rebounds." InsideHoops.com

From bottom of http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml
Man, I feel bad for Randy Orr.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
BenDengGo said:
actually that doesnt cover the whole story, if you look which players where picked later....
we wherent that fortunate like the dallas cowboys, who got all the championship parts in one draft.

i would actually like to know, what the bulls fans feelings where when fizer got drafted
I absolutely did not want Miles or Mihm. Pre-draft, my hope was to take Miller with the #4 and Collier with the #7. I was basically as neutral as you can get on the Fizer pick. Yes it was duplication with Brand, but for a team without hardly any talent, we needed to acquire talent as well. I was disappointed that we didn't draft Miller, but I wasn't unhappy with the Fizer pick either.

After drafting Fizer, I was hoping we would land Courtney Alexander at the #7 (after Miller had been picked of course). I remember when Stern came up to the podium to announce the pick, I was saying out loud, "please don't take Mihm. Anyone but Mihm. For the love of God, not Mihm."

"With the 7th pick in the 2000 NBA draft, the Chicago Bulls select Chris Mihm..." :curse: :curse: :curse:

I nearly cried with joy when we made the Crawford for Mihm swap.

I also remember going, "Huh, who?" when we drafted Bagaric. I hadn't heard of the guy before his name was announced.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
BenDengGo said:

We been told that Fizer has a great potential to be a SF…, so we wasted Artest ( to avoid signing a contract)

We been told that Eddy has a great potential to be a C…., so we wasted B. Miller ( to avoid signing a contract)

We been told that Tyson has a great potential to be a PF…, so we traded Brand ( to avoid signing a contract)

We been told that Kirk has a great potential to be a PG…, so we wasted Jamal ( to avoid signing a contract)

We been told that Tyson has a great potential to be a C…, so we traded Eddy (to avoid signing a contract)

Bulls wasted since 1999, the following first round picks : #1(Brand), #16 (Artest), # 4 (Fizer), # 7 (Crawford), # 4 (Eddy), # 2 (JW)

...to be continue untill Bulls fans will waste JR :)

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
I actually had a Marcus Fizer sighting in my apartment building a few weeks ago. And then at the grocery store down the street a few days later. I just assumed he was in town working out at Hoops or something.

·
Registered
980 Posts
An interesting thing I remember is that Krause had scouted Mihm extensively that year with the idea of getting a premier big man out of the draft. In a pre-draft work-out, Magliore shredded Mihm to the extent it was almost embarrassing. That work-out obviously convinced Krause to trade Mihm for Crawford who was the surprise of the Chicago draft camp. Krause and Floyd fell completely in love with Crawford. The key question in my mind is why the hell did they not make a move for Magliore? Here is a guy who outplayed the highest regarded big man in America and that troll of a GM (the so-called "sleuth") didn't even understand the significance of this. I guess they thought that Bagaric was the answer to the center position for the next 10 years.

The second round picks (Guyton, El-Amin, and Voskuhl) were garbage also. Do you believe that guys like Krause and the Bulls' scouting staff actually were paid big money for making these types of decisions?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Bulls96 said:
We been told that Fizer has a great potential to be a SF…, so we wasted Artest ( to avoid signing a contract)

We been told Eddy has a great potential to be a C…., so we wasted B. Miller ( to avoid signing a contract)

We been told that Tyson has a great potential to be a PF…, so we traded Brand ( to avoid signing a contract)

We been told that Kirk has a great potential to be a PG…, so we wasted Jamal ( to avoid signing a contract)

We been told that Tyson has a great potential to be a C…, so we traded Eddy (to avoid signing a contract)

Bulls wasted since 1999, the following first round picks : #1(Brand), #16 (Artest), # 4 (Fizer), # 7 (Crawford), # 4 (Eddy), # 2 (JW)

...to be continue untill Bulls fans will waste JK :)
You hit the nail on the head as to the reason why the Bulls have been dog duty in the post MJ era.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
The Truth said:
I actually had a Marcus Fizer sighting in my apartment building a few weeks ago. And then at the grocery store down the street a few days later. I just assumed he was in town working out at Hoops or something.

Maybe he is here working. Was he hauling groceries at your apartment building?

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
TomBoerwinkle#1 said:
Maybe he is here working. Was he hauling groceries at your apartment building?

Haha...no actually, he was driving a Bentley when I saw him the first time, and one of those expensive boxy Mercedes SUVs the second time.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
The Truth said:
Haha...no actually, he was driving a Bentley when I saw him the first time, and one of those expensive boxy Mercedes SUVs the second time.
Both of those are excellent grocery-delivery vehicles, especially the G-Wagen.

I'm just saying.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts