Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Move over Ichiro, you could soon have company.
The Seattle Mariners are said to be on the verge of signing Japanese catcher Kenji Jojima.

A source said Friday that the Mariners are close to signing Jojima to a two-year contract worth about $8 million with an option for a third season.

The 29-year-old Jojima was in Seattle on Friday, although he wasn’t accompanied by his agent, Alan Nero.

Jojima - who is attempting to become the first Japanese-born catcher in the major leagues - was said to be looking for a three-year contract worth between $16-$18 million.
This is a Perfect contract, after two year Jeff Clement will be ready to take over.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
god he must really be set on the majors, considering he was offered a 25 million dollar deal in Japan

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cris said:
god he must really be set on the majors, considering he was offered a 25 million dollar deal in Japan

I guess, I think he just wants to prove that he can play with the big boys. It still hasn't been totally confirmed but I expect this deal to get done, only thing that will change it is if he changes his mind and asks for a thrid year.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
From what I have been reading it sounds like it could come down to the Mariners and the Padres bidding for his services. I saw a rumor that San Diego might offer him a four year deal in an effort to trump the Mariners reported 2-year deal with an option.

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J_Bird said:
From what I have been reading it sounds like it could come down to the Mariners and the Padres bidding for his services. I saw a rumor that San Diego might offer him a four year deal in an effort to trump the Mariners reported 2-year deal with an option.

That 4 year deal would get the job done since the Mariners wont go over 3.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
In a report conflicting with what I read about San Diego, evidently the only city Jojima is visiting outside of Seattle, is New York.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Good News! Jojima evidently decided he had seen enough and cancelled his trip to New York. Sounds like Jojima really liked what he saw in Seattle and is already on his way back to Japan.

Jojima cancels trip to N.Y.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Cris said:
He is one of the top ten hitters in japan. He is already set for life and this has been his dream since he was drafted. He has nothing at all to prove in japan at this point.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
with the mets? carlos beltran had a great season last year :rolleyes:

maybe so, but you dont know that. and the last time the mets signed someone from japan we all know how that went

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Metsfan619 said:
Im not hateing but he should of signed with the mets because he would of had a better carrerr u know NEW YORk

I don't see how playing in New York would be better than Seattle, there is not that much pressure at all and if you produce, you produce it doesn't matter where you play you are going to get noticed, and you are going to get paid no matter what.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Metsfan619 said:
Im not hateing but he should of signed with the mets because he would of had a better carrerr u know NEW YORk
Considering you are a mets fan this isn't sarcastic... which it definitely should be. I could name an incredibly long list of guys that they sign that are either overated, old and washed up, or flash int eh pan guys who have one good year before they becoem free agents ( happens all the time).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts