Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This man is unreal, he had a monster game today I'm not sure what his stats were, but they were good today. He showed the entire repetoire of moves today power, speed, bullrushes etc. Mario will be a top 5 pick he is the closest thing coming out close to Reggie White. Opinions please.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Awesome awesome talent. I like him better than Kiwanuka too. He seems to be a step faster. He's more like Julius Pepper than Reggie White, though. White could have been an All Pro at DT or DE. He had a thick, strong frame. Williams is built more like a DE and will only play DE at the next level. Still amazing, though.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Williams is very good, but don't be too impressed because of today. Brandon Nixon sucks.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Williams is crazy. He's not as active as Simeon Rice is in breaking off once looked up, and he hasn't ahd to make moves or swim to get to the QB as of yet to the extent he'll need to in the NFL. Kiwanuka is light, but if he gets healthy he could pan out like Jason Taylor IMO. I see Mario as more of a John Abraham-at-best type guy; he may never refine his game to the point where he plays with his head rather than his amazing natural physique. Devan Long is one DE who a lot of people are overlooking. I should have his profile done soon, and I'll give you guys a heads up then. He's a perfect fit as a RE for a 4-3 where he can burst off the edge...He could be a 3-4 WLB like Ware, but I'm not sure that he has the pursuit speed. Long will be a 3rd round steal unless his combine numbers allow him to move to WLB speedwise. His weight at 255 (in reality) is a small concern if he's to play in a 4-3. If Oregon got more coverage he'd be almost as lauded as David Pollack was last year, although Pollack achieved at that level for three years, whereas Long exploded this year after playing well last year. That moster in the middle helps Long; but that just gets him one on ones. He does the rest himself.

...I didn't even notice I've been "modded"

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I'm a believer that Tamba Hali is the best DE in the nation.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
TheGoods said:
...I didn't even notice I've been "modded"
This is our forum now, man. I think it's worked out nicely.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
jmk said:
Welcome aboard.

I'm a believer that Tamba Hali is the best DE in the nation.
His problem is he doesn't show the skillset of a pass-rushing end (although he does it well at the college level). He would be a great run-ILB in a 3-4 like Randal Godfrey. His biggest strength is pursuit. If he weighed in at 300 and benched the bar 26+ times at the combine I'd say he'll be a great DT, but that's not the case. He's in an unfortunate situation given his size. His skills are quite similar to Luis Castillo's IMO, but Luis has 40 pounds on him, as well as speed and strength. He might fit well on a team that likes to rush from the inside like Chicago where Tommy Harris' strength is as a rusher and not run stopper. Pursuit instincts are a great skill. But his size is a major concern given that he doesn't show natural pass-rushing skills for the NFL. Any team that is weak against the run and needs a DE could feasibly take him at the top of the second *cough Houston*.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
The only knock I see on Hali is his size, though I don't see it as too much of a knock, being that he is 6-3 267. As for showing up at the combine at 300 lbs, that would be disastrous. Hali is a natural DE. He played DT initially, and it did not work out. What Tamba may lack in traditional pass rushing skills(which I don't believe he lacks much of) and 40 speed, he makes up in motor, heart, and determination. Also, the Castillo comparison isn't really fair to either player. Castillo is a 6-3 306 DT playing a 3-4 DE. Hali is a 6-3 267 DE who will be playing DE at the next level. If Castillo is in a 4-3 defense, he is a DT. Hali is a DE regardless.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
jmk said:
The only knock I see on Hali is his size, though I don't see it as too much of a knock, being that he is 6-3 267. As for showing up at the combine at 300 lbs, that would be disastrous. Hali is a natural DE. He played DT initially, and it did not work out. What Tamba may lack in traditional pass rushing skills(which I don't believe he lacks much of) and 40 speed, he makes up in motor, heart, and determination. Also, the Castillo comparison isn't really fair to either player. Castillo is a 6-3 306 DT playing a 3-4 DE. Hali is a 6-3 267 DE who will be playing DE at the next level. If Castillo is in a 4-3 defense, he is a DT. Hali is a DE regardless.
Hali probably doesn't have great 40 speed but that is an overrated measure of talent anyways. He is active and always around the action, though. Maybe Anthony Weaver with a little more speed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts