Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mark has a players option in his contract for next year. he is making only 1 mill and could probaly make more somewhere else..Do you think ainge will try to trade mark? I am not sure if we can renegotiate his contract this year or not but to take the chance of him walknig is not wise... He should have some trade value...

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Originally posted by <b>voice of reality</b>!
mark has a players option in his contract for next year. he is making only 1 mill and could probaly make more somewhere else..Do you think ainge will try to trade mark? I am not sure if we can renegotiate his contract this year or not but to take the chance of him walknig is not wise... He should have some trade value...
Unless he has the same agent as Anthony Carter, Blount will be on the free agent market next season. The guy is averaging 8 and 5 with a block and 59% shooting. By comparison, Mike Stewart is making 4.48 mil this year and 4.8 next year and he only put up 4.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, and 2.4 blocks with 48% shooting. Calvin Booth will be making over 19 million in the next three seasons averaged 7.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, and 2.0 bpg with 55% shooting in a mere 15 games for Dallas when he "broke out".

Based on those numbers, Blount could easily get the MLE next year and possibly more. However, dealing Blount now probably won't get us much in return if anything at all because of his ability to walk after this season and the fact that he still can't catch the ball.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Re: Re: Mark blount

Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>owever, dealing Blount now probably won't get us much in return if anything at all because of his ability to walk after this season and the fact that he still can't catch the ball.

true. very true.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Mark blount

Originally posted by <b>agoo101284</b>!

Unless he has the same agent as Anthony Carter, Blount will be on the free agent market next season. The guy is averaging 8 and 5 with a block and 59% shooting. By comparison, Mike Stewart is making 4.48 mil this year and 4.8 next year and he only put up 4.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, and 2.4 blocks with 48% shooting. Calvin Booth will be making over 19 million in the next three seasons averaged 7.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, and 2.0 bpg with 55% shooting in a mere 15 games for Dallas when he "broke out".

Based on those numbers, Blount could easily get the MLE next year and possibly more. However, dealing Blount now probably won't get us much in return if anything at all because of his ability to walk after this season and the fact that he still can't catch the ball.
Agoo but if he walks we get nothing..

Would you be in favor of trying to extend his deal now? Is that even possible??

He does know the system, but does need help on his hands. Perhaps if someone worked with him catching passes 1 hr a day?

Is he even worth worrying about? I have mixed feelings, like the improvement shown this year but question if he can take it a step hoigher...

·
Premium Member
8,261 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Mark blount

Agoo but if he walks we get nothing..

Would you be in favor of trying to extend his deal now? Is that even possible??

He does know the system, but does need help on his hands. Perhaps if someone worked with him catching passes 1 hr a day?

Is he even worth worrying about? I have mixed feelings, like the improvement shown this year but question if he can take it a step hoigher...
The way I see it, retaining Chris Mihm should be the bigger concern. He's better overall offensively than Blount is and he will be as good on defense once he gets into the system and starts to understand it more. I like Blount and I would like to keep him here, but I don't think Ainge should be willing to give him Stewart or Booth money, which is what he will command on the market.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I dont think Blount leaving us would hurt much in the long run. As long as we keep Mihm, who is better offensively, we'll have a starter. Then Perkins will be guaranteed some minutes and he will get a chance to develop.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I don't think Blount fits into our long term picture and would not mind losing him to clear a roster spot. He's a good back-up but not more than that.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Mihm vs. Blount

Besides free-throw shooting, tell me how exactly Mihm is better offensively than Blount?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mihm vs Blount

Mihm can play with his back to the basket and has a decent touch from 12-15 feet. Mihm is also one hell of an offensive rebounder translating into more chances for the C's to put points on the board. This doesnt mean he scores more from these but the team does. Blount does not get offensive rebs. Mihm can actually catch the ball in the paint so when PP drives and dishes Mihm can catch the ball and throw down a monster dunk.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok if it is a choice between mihm and blount i prefer mihm but blount is supposed to be indespensable to this defense. With baker probaly gone next year the cs need to do something real fast..

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Ok if it is a choice between mihm and blount i prefer mihm but blount is supposed to be indespensable to this defense. With baker probaly gone next year the cs need to do something real fast..

I think it's not a matter of who's better (Mihm and Blount) but just the fact that they both seem to fit our system pretty well. But true, Blount cannot catch passes and it pisses me off, and LaFrentz coming back will be another big guy, but w/ Baker prolly gone, there's Perkins chance I suppose and more time for Hunter now.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Mark Blount is a good back up Center in this league but he doesn't do enough to be a starter. He can't catch worth a crap and that's not what you want from your big guy. With Mihm, Raef, Hunter, and Perkins he could become expendable, even without Vinny. We are gonna draft too and it could be a big guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts