1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sources: Marlins close to fire sale
By Joe Capozzi
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

As the Marlins and Rangers continued talking Saturday about Florida sending Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to Texas, multiple baseball sources said more of their Marlins teammates could soon leave the team, too.

"They may take it all the way down, like we saw in '98," an American League source said, referring to the dismantling of the Marlins' 1997 championship team.

Marlins President David Samson would not comment Saturday. But sources said Florida's front office has been telling teams that, except for pitcher Dontrelle Willis and third baseman Miguel Cabrera, everyone is available because of orders to cut payroll from the club-record $65 million spent on last season's team.

One source said Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria, who is frustrated over stalled talks for a new stadium, is prepared to go with a 2006 payroll as low as $40 million, which could be the lowest in the major leagues.

[More in URL]

Thoughts?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Why would Cabrera or / and Willis stay long term if they won't put players around them?

-Petey

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Petey said:
Why would Cabrera or / and Willis stay long term if they won't put players around them?

-Petey
That's what I'm wondering.. I could see Dontrelle staying but why would anyone wanna stay on a team like this, if indeed it happens. I would jet first thing out if I could if I were Miguel or Dontrelle. That's just what I'd do.. I dont know how they feel about this if it happens, etc.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Brian34Cook said:
That's what I'm wondering.. I could see Dontrelle staying but why would anyone wanna stay on a team like this, if indeed it happens. I would jet first thing out if I could if I were Miguel or Dontrelle. That's just what I'd do.. I dont know how they feel about this if it happens, etc.
I agree, Jeffrey Loria bought a great young team, and isn't able to do anything with them after their title... This team with the GREAT Delgado signing should be contenders year in and out, for the next decade.

-Petey

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Ghost said:
Carlos Delgado is as good as gone, I think Miguel would stay before Willis.
I don't agree, with Miguel Cabrera's arrogance and attitude I doubt he'd stay before Dontrelle (with his youthful outlook on life and baseball) would.
Err... then again, this is a dumb argument.

Either way, hell of a horrid move for a young team on the verge of being a good young playoff team that could take Atlanta possibly... poor Floridians.

-Chris.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
KidCanada said:
Didn't they do the same thing after winning their last two world series? What is wrong with this organization...
even of we are winning, fans are just not showing up and therefore the team cant afford to keep these players. Loria has done a great job of being competetive since he took over the team, but they are losing money and therefore had to make this move as well as the upcoming moves to come

its pretty terrible, but baseball in south florida just isnt working. We cant get a stadium and we cant get customers to the ballpark

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
marlins just made a press conference saying a stadium is not going to be built in Miami, that the marlins wont sign another lease at pro player, and mlb has given them permission to look for other locations. Unless Palm or Ft Lauderdale step up, there will most likely not be baseball in south florida.

I cant beleive a team with 2 world titles failed to build a stadium and people here cant support the team.

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Figured they'd so something about this soon.. Shame that baseball wasnt accepted down there. I saw this one coming..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts