Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
115,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Miami Marlins and shortstop Jose Reyes agreed to terms on a six-year, $106 million deal Sunday, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

The guarantee for the first six years totals $102 million, sources told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. The deal includes an option for a seventh year, with a guaranteed $4 million.

Sources told ESPNDeportes' Enrique Rojas that the option would be worth $22 million.

Reyes, 28, is coming off the best year in his career. He hit .337 for the New York Mets to win his first batting title. In nine years, all with the Mets, he has batted .292 with 370 steals and 740 runs scored.

"We'll see whether those rumors turn out to be true," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told ESPNNewYork.com's Adam Rubin about Reyes' reported deal with the Marlins. "If they are true, I think that Jose at this point is beyond where we would have been."

Earlier in the offseason, Miami offered Reyes a six-year, $90 million deal, which he rejected.

Reyes' signing would mean the Marlins' All-Star shortstop, Hanley Ramirez, will have to change positions. Publicly, the Marlins are saying they haven't decided whether Ramirez would move to third base or center field. However, one source close to Ramirez told ESPN.com that Ramirez already has agreed to move to third base next spring.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7316606/miami-marlins-agree-six-year-deal-jose-reyes

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
Re: Marlins sign SS Jose Reyes to 6-yr/106M deal

time for the marlins to buy a world series

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts

And then completely dismantle it the following offseason.

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts

And then completely dismantle it the following offseason.
Not anymore. Now that they're out from under the worst lease in baseball and have their own ballpark, I don't see it happening. Another note, this doesn't mean they're backing out of the Albert Pujols race. They're actually planning on making a strong push to him today and/or tomorrow now that they have Reyes and can show him they're serious about winning.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
You would think that Wilpon (that's the name isn't it?) would sell the Mets. It seems pretty clear that he is in the same boat with Frank McCourt, but he is well liked by the other owners and McCourt is reviled on both sides of the LA city line.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Washington, Florida, and Atlanta can all compete in the NL East for about half a season. Phillies just start out relatively slow, but always finish like crazy. Hard to beat their consistency over a long season

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts
I can't see any possible way the Marlins don't compete if they get Pujols and stay relatively healthy. You're talking about a lineup with an incredible amount of talent:

Jose Reyes
Hanley Ramirez
Albert Pujols
Mike Stanton
Logan Morrison
John Buck
Omar Infante
Emilio Bonifacio/Chris Coghlan

I still think Pujols is going to end up back in St. Louis, but if he does the Marlins can use their money to try and add CJ Wilson, Yu Darvish or Mark Buehrle, or possibly bring Javier Vazquez back.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Hanley Ramirez doesn't want 3B move

DALLAS -- Hanley Ramirez has informed the Miami Marlins that he does not want to move from shortstop to third base, a source told ESPNdeportesLosAngeles.com on Tuesday.

"Hanley doesn't want to play third base and the Marlins were informed of that," the source said. "Rather than ask for a trade, what he has done is to inform (the team) that he does not want to play another position other than shortstop." Meanwhile, Andy Mota, Ramirez's agent, said to ESPNDeportesLosAngeles.com about the situation: "no comment."

Ramirez, a three-time All-Star and a .306 hitter in six full seasons, would have to move positions with the acquisition of Jose Reyes, who agreed to a six-year and $106 million deal with the Marlins on Sunday.

The only public comment that Ramirez has made since Reyes' deal was through his Twitter account on Tuesday afternoon.

He wrote: "What I can do now is work hard and be prepared for next season because that's all that I can control, I love you all !!!!"
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7323887/hanley-ramirez-miami-marlins-want-3b-move-source-says
Maybe they should have asked him first?

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
could have swore i read something awhile ago about he already said he would move to 3rd and that him and Jose Reyes where pretty good friends and thats why he would do it...guess not though

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
^Hanley is the godfather to Jose's daughter so unless something changed, other than Jose taking his position, they are pretty close.
Ozzie was just on MLB network and on the radio down here and said that they had talked with him already about this move. They brought it up to him when the Reyes rumors 1st started.

RodnieG3 Another super 3 in da #305?? @HanleyRamirez Jose Reyes, Albert Pujols!! #Miami

@HanleyRamirez I like it!!!!
He seems down if they get Pujols (which is still a longshot). We'll see.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
^Hanley is the godfather to Jose's daughter so unless something changed, other than Jose taking his position, they are pretty close.

Ozzie was just on MLB network and on the radio down here and said that they had talked with him already about this move. They brought it up to him when the Reyes rumors 1st started.

He seems down if they get Pujols (which is still a longshot). We'll see.
Clearly something changed.

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts
Hanley's a douchebag, what else is new? The difference is now, he's coming off a year where he hit .242 and sucked, the Marlins are spending big money on star players and Hanley won't be able to run them out of town a la Fredi Gonzalez, Dan Uggla, Wes Helms, Edwin Rodriguez, etc. He'll be the one heading elsewhere if he starts this shit despite Loria and Samson's undying love for him. This isn't the first time Hanley's said something and turned around and said the exact opposite within days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts