Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Grizzlies traded forward Marreese Speights, guards Wayne Ellington and Josh Selby and a second-round pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers for guard Jon Leuer on Tuesday morning, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Speights makes $4.2 million this season and $4.5 million next season; Ellington is making $2.08 million in the final year of his deal; and Selby makes $762,195 this season and $884,293 next season. Leuer makes only $762,195, but Cleveland was able to absorb the additional salary because they were under the salary cap.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--memphis-grizzlies-make-trade--but-it-s-not-rudy-gay-145502868.html

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Re: Marreespe Speights Traded to Cleveland

Cheap ****s.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Definitely.

BUUUT I'd rather see them make a cheap ass move like this rather than just give away Gay or Randolph to get under the luxury tax line

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

Yea, this should throw some water on the Randolph and Rudy Gay trade talks. I assume Memphis is going to wait until the summer, at least, before making major changes now.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts

Good for Memphis keeping their core together, but I'm still not sure this is the best move. This is like a band-aid on the problem because they couldn't find the value they wanted for Gay. The salaries of Gasol, Randolph, Gay, and Conley are going to keep increasing, and either Memphis turns into a big 4 with no depth (which they already kind of are), or they turn into a big 3 with some depth. Sucks that they lost Speights and Ellington, who were both giving them solid production. They are replaceable, though. I suppose that for this year, at least, it beats trading Gay for mediocre parts and making Speights/Ellington play more.

Is Jon Leuer any good? I didn't like him at all at Wisconsin (although I am an IU fan), but it looks like he got some time for the Bucks last season.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts

Darrell Arthur had been the 3rd big in the rotation for awhile now, anyway. Speights was only really brought in to replace Arthur in the first place. Leuer is good enough to be the 4th big on a contender anyway.

Ellington could be the real loss. This means Jerryd Bayless and Tony Wroten both need to play more minutes and be more effective. I just don't know if either player is good enough. I guess we'll find out now, for better or worse.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts

i really hope Cavs give Josh Shelby a shot at some playing time. The guy i think will be a solid player if some gives him some time to show it

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts

i really hope Cavs give Josh Shelby a shot at some playing time. The guy i think will be a solid player if some gives him some time to show it
He's on the wrong team to get playing time at either guard spot. Their depth chart is overloaded at those positions.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts

He's on the wrong team to get playing time at either guard spot. Their depth chart is overloaded at those positions.
Ya that sucks. Hopefully they send him to the d-league to get some playing time and not let him rot on their bench. I hate when teams do that to talented young players i mean there is a dam developmental league for a reason

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts

Well as long as starting big men keep getting injured, there is a trade market for Speights
Certainly seems that way. He's a plug-and-play big.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

Good for Memphis keeping their core together, but I'm still not sure this is the best move. This is like a band-aid on the problem because they couldn't find the value they wanted for Gay. The salaries of Gasol, Randolph, Gay, and Conley are going to keep increasing, and either Memphis turns into a big 4 with no depth (which they already kind of are), or they turn into a big 3 with some depth. Sucks that they lost Speights and Ellington, who were both giving them solid production. They are replaceable, though. I suppose that for this year, at least, it beats trading Gay for mediocre parts and making Speights/Ellington play more.

Is Jon Leuer any good? I didn't like him at all at Wisconsin (although I am an IU fan), but it looks like he got some time for the Bucks last season.
I wouldnt call Leuer good, but he is the kind of guy that is efficient enough and big enough to sit on an nba bench for a decade

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really, really like the Walker and West move for them

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Ellington's release is to slow for the NBA. Any close out takes him off his shot. Speights is meh. This gives the Grizz some breathing room instead of putting them under the gun in the offseason staring down the repeater tax the following offseason.

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
This was a good move for Memphis. Darrell Arthur is a better player than Speights and West and Vujacic can more than replace Wayne Ellington.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
Not every team has $100 million TV deals. Memphis can't be in the luxury tax over and over again.

Hopefully, whatever D-Leaguers are signed can replicate Speights and Ellington's abilities at a fraction of the cost.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
Hope Memphis just skips over Bayless and offers PT to Wroten. I think Wroten will be at least as good as him with upside for much more.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts