Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think Kenyon can compete with the best PF's every night. He isn't big enough. He would need to gain 30 pounds and i don't think his frame can carry it. He is a major Tweener.:sour:

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
netsnets...

Im beginning to think youre not even a nets fan, you seem to not like anything bout the nets. personally, i think kenyon martin can definitely guard the best pf's. the only reason he didnt last year was because of the weak *** KVH. netts have one of the best defensive lineups in the league

mutumbo, martin, jefferson, kittles, kidd

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think mutombo and martin are two of the most overrated defensive players in the league right now, both of whom come with a lot of defesnive fanfare but dont really come close to dominating anyone.
sure, martin can still get up and block some shots away, but overall he shows no great ability to be a man-to-man stopper, and people have to realize he's not playing zone in the c-usa. While Mutombo did dominate, he's just getting old and cant bang like he used to. even his block totals are down to a more pedestrian 2.4 per 36 minutes. kidd and kittles last year were the main cogs of the d, and they did a wonderful job and they still will. Rj will be solid as usual.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was a Tweener matchup

and once you get him outside his comfort zone the still raw youngster can be exploited. Kenyon had no success against the best PF in the league.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Kenyon Martin does not need to gain 30 pounds. He's 6'9 234. If he gains 10 pounds, that's more than enough... and according to the StarLedger, he's been lifting a lot this offseason, and expects to gain 5-10 pounds of muscle before the season starts. McDyess is 6'9 245, is he too small to play PF?

Sure, if Martin can gain 20+ pounds of muscle, while still keeping his quickness... that'd be preferable... but he doesn't "need" to gain that much.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A lot of them work out a lot less than you think...

How much do you imagine MacCollouch worked out, in his lifetime?

But even regardless of that, the point is... there's a difference between athletes having normal lifting, and lifting with the intent of gaining mass. Also, since he's planning to play more in the post defensively, he'll do some more upper-body work than he previously did. Martin acknowledges that he should gain some weight, and he'll do it. It's a good sign, in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
One thing you can not overlook with Martin is his intensity and desire.There may be alot of talented players who are bigger,but Martin,unlike the Van Horns and derrick Colemans of the world,makes the most of what he has.You guys will see,hes a lock to average a double double

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Didn't commentators say that Kmart is one of those weird people who likes to play D? And that his dream was to get the Defensive Player of the Year award?

I am very sure that with a bit more experience and a bit of more bulk he will accomplish that.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If I remember correctly, he said his goal for his rookie year was to win defensive player of the year (which obviously didn't happen... but it's nice that that was his goal, as opposed to anything involving scoring)

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Gotta love those Bearcats

Gotta give Huggins credit. His players that make the NBA do love to play defense. Kmart, Dermarr Johnson, Nick VanExel, Corie Blount, Danny Fortson and the Kobe stopper Ruben Patterson and just wait and watch Steve Logan this year. They do try to lock their man down.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i've probably said this already, but kmart is one of the most overrated defensive players in the game. yes, he blocks shots here and there but HE IS NOT a good man-to-man defender. This is not Cincinatti where he can play in a zone against smaller kids and swat shots. This is the NBA where he's actually physically overmatched and has never come close to being the defensive stopper he's claimed to be. He's not a bad defender, and certainly better than Van Horn, but he's just a slightly better than adequate man-to-man defender who can block shots and make SportsCenter every so often.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
You are being way too hard...Keep in mind last year was his first healthy year in 2 years coming off 2 broken legs.Plus he was playing small foward mostly..you try locking up Mcgrady....if he comes in around 250,and another year under his belt,hes gonna be a BEAST...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>netsnets</b>!
i've probably said this already, but kmart is one of the most overrated defensive players in the game. yes, he blocks shots here and there but HE IS NOT a good man-to-man defender. This is not Cincinatti where he can play in a zone against smaller kids and swat shots. This is the NBA where he's actually physically overmatched and has never come close to being the defensive stopper he's claimed to be. He's not a bad defender, and certainly better than Van Horn, but he's just a slightly better than adequate man-to-man defender who can block shots and make SportsCenter every so often.
We should ask Jermaine O'Neal if he agrees with you.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tom</b>!
I don't think Kenyon can compete with the best PF's every night. He isn't big enough. He would need to gain 30 pounds and i don't think his frame can carry it. He is a major Tweener.:sour:

KMart is physical enough to compete with the PF's in the NBA
Sometimes being undersized, doesn't mean anything...
Hard work always pay's off, Look at Brand and C.Barkley.
They were undersized, but their work ethic made them fierce competitors.

Remember what K-Mart Did to J.Oneal in the playoff's.
Oneal was longer, but Mart was physical with him and completely took O'Neals game out. I'd like to see that match up again.But KMart is physical enough and his D will improve
;) ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts