Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Didn't Sabonis tell him to wait until next year, but he ignored him?

I think he's making a mistake.

Article says some ATL scouts were there, hopefully they aren't high on him.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
He's a new Darko/Skita waiting to happen. Unless he gets on a team that is just plain garbage and he can get some playing time, he's going to be like them. He has virtually no immediate value to a team, from what I've heard. And "project players", as much as people like to talk about them, almost never work out. Players who are raw, and still contribute some in their rookie year, like Tony Parker did, might produce into solid players. But guys who are unable to give anything, like Darko, usually don't turn into anything. But I have hope for him.

Right now he's going in the late 10s or early 20s if you ask me. Too many college players have upped their stock, and I doubt I can see Andriuskevicius beating out many of them.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
He's a new Darko/Skita waiting to happen. Unless he gets on a team that is just plain garbage and he can get some playing time, he's going to be like them. He has virtually no immediate value to a team, from what I've heard. And "project players", as much as people like to talk about them, almost never work out. Players who are raw, and still contribute some in their rookie year, like Tony Parker did, might produce into solid players. But guys who are unable to give anything, like Darko, usually don't turn into anything. But I have hope for him.

Right now he's going in the late 10s or early 20s if you ask me. Too many college players have upped their stock, and I doubt I can see Andriuskevicius beating out many of them.
ok, so in a weak draft someone isnt going to take a chance on a skilled 7-3 player,right. as for your mention of darko who's to say he wouldnt be a big contributor if he werent playing for brown.

502 Posts
rainman said:
ok, so in a weak draft someone isnt going to take a chance on a skilled 7-3 player,right. as for your mention of darko who's to say he wouldnt be a big contributor if he werent playing for brown.
He's tall, not skilled. If Darko had any talent he would be paying. There isn't another Nowitzki coming along so scouts should stop wasting their time with these crappy foreign big men.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
MarvinWilliams#1in05 said:
He's tall, not skilled. If Darko had any talent he would be paying. There isn't another Nowitzki coming along so scouts should stop wasting their time with these crappy foreign big men.
i havent seen martynas but nbadraft.net and draftcity,who by the way no a heck of a lot more about this stuff than you or i do, both say he's skilled. as for darko funny how guys like melo and stoudemire and even lebron couldnt get much pt in athens playing for larry brown. i can see your a marvin williams fan, i like him also but there just may be another player of two out there that can play.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
rainman said:
ok, so in a weak draft someone isnt going to take a chance on a skilled 7-3 player,right.
I specifically said he'll be taken in the late 10s early 20s. To me, that counts as "taking a chance". Drafting a player with your first round pick is taking a chance. So I don't know what you're trying to say.

If you're saying he'll be taken higher, I disagree. Chris Taft is another player who's stock has fallen in the last year, and he's being predicted at around 10-15 range. He's an american college player and athletic. So I see no logical reason why Andriuskevicius is going to be drafted higher.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Andriuskevicius is a nice player along the lines of Chris Kaman IMO (although nowhere near as offensively polished). He shows good rebounding, great passing (and I mean great), decent range, good shotblocking instincts, a nice overall feel for the game, and of course he thinks he's a wing (just like Kaman did). It'll take him a while to get up to a good playing weight, and it'll take a tough coach to make him stay in the paint, but his problems are similar to what Kaman's were, and now Kaman is coming along quite nicely. Andriuskevicius, also has the advantage of being 7-3 (at least a good 7-2). He may not be a primary scorer like Gasol, but he'll be a nice complementary player like Kaman at least. He's not like Big-Z, that's for sure. He's quite agile, quick, and athletic for his size, and while he isn't a freak, he isn't lead-footed. His ball handling skills are a quirky plus, but he likes to put the ball on the floor, rather than playing above everyone else. His passing and rebounding alone warrant a top 10 pick.

I haven't seen him that many times, but that's my quick take on him. BTW I would take him over Taft. Taft strongly resembles Chris Wilcox (in game and shape) and that scares me off considering what sort of attitude comes with the package.

Barring strange happenings, Andriuskevicius should be a top 10 pick, and he could go higher if guys like Aleksandrov, Green, Vazquez, Villanueva don't perform well in the pre-draft camps. I personally like Green and Aleksandrov above the other three mentioned, but I'd take Andriuskevicius before Vazquez and Villanueva.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Bah. Sounds like another bust. And if Sabonis is giving him advice and he is ignoring it, then that sets off even more alarm bells.

Just what you want. A project who doesn't listen.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
I specifically said he'll be taken in the late 10s early 20s. To me, that counts as "taking a chance". Drafting a player with your first round pick is taking a chance. So I don't know what you're trying to say.

If you're saying he'll be taken higher, I disagree. Chris Taft is another player who's stock has fallen in the last year, and he's being predicted at around 10-15 range. He's an american college player and athletic. So I see no logical reason why Andriuskevicius is going to be drafted higher.
like i said i havent seen him but nbadraft.net has him 4th in this years draft and draftcity has him 1st in the 2006 mock. these guys first of all usally have access to tapes and info that we dont see. hopefully he'll come over and work out so some team doesnt just take him based on hype. let me say i would be for a 20 year old age limit.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
rainman said:
like i said i havent seen him but nbadraft.net has him 4th in this years draft and draftcity has him 1st in the 2006 mock. these guys first of all usally have access to tapes and info that we dont see. hopefully he'll come over and work out so some team doesnt just take him based on hype. let me say i would be for a 20 year old age limit.
NBAdraft.net is not any good. Draftcity is, and they have him listed at #1 for 2006 for a reason: he's not ready. They did have him listed at #1 for this year, but that changed when he lacked major progress this year. Unless he really performs at predraft camps, I'll stick to my prediction. I hope I'm wrong though because I'd love to see anyother 7'3" success along the lines of Big Z.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
He is the next Darko/Tskitishvili as somebody already mentioned in here, and Martynas thinks he will be drafted that high. However, the GMs will learn from those mistakes and I would be extremely surprised if he is even taken in the first 15 picks.

502 Posts
rainman said:
i havent seen martynas but nbadraft.net and draftcity,who by the way no a heck of a lot more about this stuff than you or i do, both say he's skilled. as for darko funny how guys like melo and stoudemire and even lebron couldnt get much pt in athens playing for larry brown. i can see your a marvin williams fan, i like him also but there just may be another player of two out there that can play.
Quoting NBA draftnet doesn't exactly help your cause.

Oh ya, its Larry Browns fault that Darko isn't a star yet! LOL

I enjoy all the talented college players, but it seems that the foreign trend is coming to an end. All the truly talented ones are already over hear.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Of course Sabonis is gonna advise him to stay. He owns the team. He brings in money. GMs travel half way around the world to watch his games. Lithuania may have been part of the USSR, but Sabonis knows a thing or two about capitalism.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
rainman said:
why is every single draft considered weak until a couple of years after it? this draft doesn't look great and doesn't really look like there are going to be a bunch of superstar players, but there are a lot of players who should be solid starters or more in the league.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
He is not ready to play 5 minutes in the Euroleague...I've seen him in the few minutes he played and he was embarassing... Too young..he will not take a couple of years to be ready... It will take 4-5 years at least...and Nba teams don't have all this time...Plus in Europe u have much more time to train and improve yout game during the season...In the Nba u are always on travel and u have no time to work on your game...he is making a huge mistake according to me..

·
Registered
690 Posts
He is too slim an unexperienced to play in the Nba...

he is not lottery material, not now... Maybe in a couple of years... If he enters the draft this year, he should be a very late first round pick... Miami/SA could take him... they don't need him to contribute right away and they can develop him slowly...

·
Registered
793 Posts
EHL said:
Anyone that's seen him play have any comments to make?
anyone that would see him play, even if for just few minutes, could realize that a 7'2 center with such mobility for his height, can't fall out of the top5 pick at all, eventhough teams will have second thoughts about drafting him at his age...
anyway... he is doing a big mistake right now, he should pull out and work hard to get some PT in Zalgiris next year.
He is too talented to get wasted on some NBA bench.

This is an exemplar case why age limit must be established...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts