Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He just lost a few respect points in my book by some quotes of his just make me not look at him the same as a journalist/reporter

The far tougher call was leaving James off the roster. The Cavs' rookie truly has been sensational. Who doesn't want to see him in the All-Star Game, going one on one against Kobe or Kevin Garnett? But Redd is no fluke. He is not only one of the game's best shooters, but the 6-foot-6 lefty also rebound, defends and generally takes good care of the ball. He doesn't get the hype playing in Milwaukee, but he's been a big part of the Bucks' surprising success.

LeBron is still a rookie. He needs to improve his jump shot and cut down on turnovers. He'll be an All-Star soon enough. Besides, think about how much better this year's Rookie/Sophomore Game will be with LeBron on one side and Carmelo Anthony on the other.
Thats fine, I can agree with what he has here but, my thing is Marty Burns is a stat man and he always uses stats to support his argument no matter how slight either way the stats are so here is some stats between James and Redd.

Here are Lebron James Stats
PPG 20.4
RPG 5.9
APG 6.2
SPG 1.55
BPG .65

Michael Redd's

PPG 21.6
RPG 5.4
APG 2.3
SPG 1.02
BPG .07

James is clearly better in every other category where it matters most to Marty Burns. But then he goes an uses TO and the Rookie/Sophmore game being better to justify his argument.

Still, Randolph's numbers compare favorably to Nowitzki's, who has struggled with his shooting. It's a close call, and there is no wrong selection. But I'll go with Nowitzki because he is a proven superstar and the best player on one of the league's top teams. Besides, the Mavs deserve to have at least one rep.

Could someone tell me WHY THE MAVS DESERVE at least one rep

Finally, Miller should get the nod over Yao at backup center. Miller might not score as much as Yao (15.3 to 14.8), but he's averaging more rebounds (10.6 to 8.9) and assists (4.8 to 1.7) while shooting a higher percentage (51.5 to 51.0). More important, he's played an unselfish role in helping the Kings to the NBA's best record.
Personally I agree that Miller deserve's to be here but what is the point of him putting the FG%. Half of a percentage point makes no difference so why even use that in his argument.

I dont know, I have started to read and look at these sports writers/broadcaster's/reporters from a FAN and realize how contradictory they can be.

Oh well :(

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I like Redd going to the all star game, but I also like Lebron going. They should leave someone else out of the equation, if its possible.

I agree that this year the MAVS DO NOT DESERVE ONE REP.
Nowitzki was kind of injured there for awhile along with Nash. If anyone should go from the Mavs it would probably be Walker because he has put up some really good overall numbers. But we all know in the west you are competing against the best of the best. I don't think any of their guys should go this year.

I would take Yao over Miller to the all star game. I really like Yao so I am kind of biased, but there is no doubt at the center position there is Shaq and Yao and then everone else(No, Ben Wallace is not a center, because everyone knows he cant guard Jermaine Oneal).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im going to have to disagree here with both of u somewhat. Firstly, Redd is the leader of a team that as of right now is playoff bound. I believe u have to take that into consideration. I just believe if u are the best player on a good team, then u probably are deserving of an all star bid. The same goes for the Dallas and Nowitzki. Dirk especially here of late has been playing tremendous. He is even been passing the ball better and I think he deserves an all star bid too. Also i am just curious if u are just going on stats, then how is kobe anymore deserving than dirk.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I don't care for the Mavs "deserving" to have at least one rep. Just because you have a pretty good team (and that's all they are right now, just a half game up on the Nuggets for the 5th see out west) doesn't mean that you should automatically have an all-star.

As for the rest, I personally wouldn't have a problem with either James or Redd making the team. Either or both would be fine with me. James is having a better season stats-wise, but the Bucks are a much better team than the Cavs. I would like to see Miller in the game over Yao based on performance, but Yao is more entertaining, so I'd rather see him there from a fan's perspective. Like Redd/James, I wouldn't mind either or both.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im not saying dirk should go just because he is on a playoff team. I just think that being on a good team is one consideration. He is avging 20 pts and 10 rebounds a game and here of later has really been passing the ball better. Thats not to say their arent other fowards just as deserving.

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rockstone</b>!

Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!
He just lost a few respect points in my book by some quotes of his just make me not look at him the same as a journalist/reporter

Oops! I forgot to type my message:)

I just read Marty's article myself. He has terrible logic.

He said that Abdur-Rahim's numbers are too good to ignore. Then he ignores LeBron's numbers (that only he and Paul Pierce put up), and chooses Redd because Redd's team is better. :confused: I’m sure he didn’t look at the turnover ratios or shooting percentages of his other selections compared to LeBron’s. Or even per-minutes-played.

He then says that the rookie challenge will be better with LeBron on one side and Carmelo on the other. If I'm not mistaken, they're both rookies which would put them on the same side.:|

Nowitzki over Randolph??? Why should Randolph's DUI be a factor? Come on Marty. Randolph is clearly having an all-star year. They both should be on the team.

Mike Bibby??? I think he's a big Kings fan. He wants to see Bibby, Stojakovic and Miller in the game. Oh and he said because Bibby's a big time shot maker.:laugh: Why did he leave Reggie Miller off the east team then? You can't choose Mike Bibby over guys like Zach Randolph, Andrei Kirlenko and Shawn Marion. Not this year.:no:

I think there's a lot of guys out west who might merit a spot over "The Glove" this year too. Just my opinion.....:yes:

·
Registered
535 Posts
I know that this has nothing to do with the article but Marty Burns went to the same HS as me, but not at the same time.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Originally posted by <b>panthera_pardus</b>!
Nowitzki is averaging 9 rebounds a game, not 10...
Oh thanks, that makes a big difference. OK he is averaging
20.7 ppg.

Dirk has been All-Star deserving since he returned from a badly
sprained ankle. If you want to say that he was out too many
games to be an All-Star than you might have to say that about
others like Shaq.

Since Dirk has been healthy ( the last 15 games ) he is averaging
23.2 ppg 10.9 rpg and 3.5 apg.

I realize that there are many deserving players this year but a
healthy Dirk is without question an All-Star.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rockstone</b>!

Mike Bibby??? I think he's a big Kings fan. He wants to see Bibby, Stojakovic and Miller in the game. Oh and he said because Bibby's a big time shot maker.:laugh: Why did he leave Reggie Miller off the east team then? You can't choose Mike Bibby over guys like Zach Randolph, Andrei Kirlenko and Shawn Marion. Not this year.:no:
No way does Bibby deserves a spot over any of those 3. Randolph,
Kirlenko and Marion are all more deserving.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks mavsman, u said what i was trying to say only much better. I wouldnt have a problem if dirk didnt make as long as they show some semblence of fairness. Dont knock one guy for missing games and then give another player a free walk. Thats all im saying.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
i think dirk is good enough and has been good enough that you give him extra credit in the whole selection process. by that i mean guys like kobe get to go and shaq will be asked to go just because of their reputations when in fact they dont deserve it based on all the games they've missed. i know the fans vote the starters, all i'm saying when you've earned the reputation you get the benefit of the doubt. actually i have both randolph and dirk going based on my selections;
g's= francis,kobe,bibby,cassell
c's= shaq and yao
f's= garnett,duncan,peja,randolp,kirilenko,dirk

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Redd would make my allstar list over James, but the E is loaded with Guards so they both miss it. Matter of fact Billups and Arenas ere also in the mix earlier this season

East
G Iverson, TMAC, Kidd, Davis, Marbury, Pierce (Redd and James would be next)
C Wallace, Z
F ONeal, Artest, Carter, Reef

West
G Cassell, Kobe, Franchise, Andre Miller (hear me out - 6th among West Gs in ppg, 4th in apg, 4th in spg, 6th in rpg, 6th in ft%, 5th in fg%)
C Shaq, Miller
F Garnett, Duncan, Peja, AK, Randolph, Dirk

Over 6 at any position would be ridiculous...barring injuries the West has an AS team of just forwards:

Garnett, Duncan, Nowitzki, Webber, Brand, Randolph, Gasol, AK, Matrix, Toine, Peja...with one spot left for the rest to fight over

1 - 16 of 16 Posts