Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to a report, Payton is unhappy with what is happening with his contract talks that Payton is pushing a trade to several teams in the league. Portland and San Antonio were named as the top 2 teams. Minnesota is another possiblity, along with NY being a WAY outside suitor.

My thinking for Portland is to stay in the area, which is strange since his home is in Las Vegas. This would be a very bad idea. This team is way over loaded w/ players in all positions. Not sure if Seattle wants him to come back to haunt them. Payton will just end up getting lost in the shuffle and frustrated.

San Antonio would be a good fit for him. Payton and Duncan would be a great 1-2 punch.

Minnesota is the same. KG and GP would be just as good as the above matchup. San Antonio has better role players though.

NY- no way this is happening. Will have to give up the farm to get this done.

Im all for guys retiring w/ the team that drafted them, but in this day and age its very rare.

:p

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Good title for yr post, by the way. And way to take one for the team a few years back, Colossus.

Where did you read this, by the way? Could you give us a link? Not that I don't believe you or anything.

As for what these teams could offer:

1 New York--they have nothing to offer besides a bunch of lousy longterm contracts. The Sonics would honestly be better off just letting the dude walk next summer; cap room next summer is more valuable than any of the players on New York's roster (what an indictment!).

2 Minnesota--I suppose the T-Wolves could offer Wally World, but what else? Anthony Peeler? A draft pick (which won't be a particularly GOOD draft pick as long as Kevin Garnett is around)?

3 Portland--The Trailblazers could offer a package that included Bonzi Wells and/or Qyntel Woods and/or Zach Randolph, I guess. Here's a trade that would work: Payton for Bonzi Wells (sign-and-trade), Zach Randolph, Antonio Daniels (expiring contract), & Amal McCaskill (expiring contract).

4 San Antonio--I think that the Spurs are pretty stoked about their present backcourt situation, especially since the key guys (Tony Parker, Emmanuel Ginobili, Speedy Claxton) are all dirt-cheap. Acquiring Payton would cost the Spurs Tony Parker AND the chance to replace the retiring David Robinson with, say, Brad Miller.

It appears that the only one of the above four destinations that makes any sense is Portland. And even THAT deal doesn't REALLY make any sense for Seattle, since the team is stacked at SG/SF (Brent Barry, Desmond Mason, Rashard Lewis, Vladimir Radmanovic is probably a SF rather than a PF, he's playing out of position with this team).

I still think that the most LOGICAL destination for Payton, assuming that Payton would agree to a contract extension, is Detroit. The Pistons presently have a surplus of players, and Joe Dumars hinted either today or yesterday that he's not done dealing ("Training camp hasn't started YET," I believe he said). I know this is the UPTEENTH TIME I've posted this or a similar Detroit-Seattle trade scenario, but for old times' sake, here it is again:

Gary Payton & Calvin Booth to the Pistons; Clifford Robinson, Chucky Atkins, Jon Barry, Rodney White, & the Grizzlies' 2003 1st round pick (acquired by Detroit in the ill-advised Otis Thorpe trade from several years back)

The contracts of Robinson & Barry both expire at the end of the season, which is a must in any possible Payton deal; White is a mildly intriguing prospect who will get a fresh start in Seattle; Atkins' contract lasts for several more years, but so does Calvin Booth's, and Booth makes more money per season than does Atkins. Payton gives the Pistons a legit superstar, and Booth gives them another big shot-blocker.

The potential hangups are obvious: a) Payton's interest in playing for Detroit (although Joe Dumars has made that a desirable place to play again, and if Dumars is going to give Payton the money he wants, how can he really complain about playing for a team that should make it to the NBA Finals in his first season?), and b) Dumars' willingness to include that high Grizzlies' 2003 1st round pick. I really do think that the Pistons' opportunity to win is NOW, not LATER. In fact, I think a LOT of NBA teams really blow it by thinking in terms of the FUTURE rather than the PRESENT. And Dumars is a smart man, so I think he understands this.

Will this trade happen? Maybe not. If it does happen, it may not happen until midseason. Payton, of course, wants this crap to get resolved as soon as possible, which is why he's threatening to just sit out. We'll see.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I agree Detroit is the most obvious destination right now for Payton if he has to go. Because Joe Dumars has indicated he's not done dealing. And the proposed trade above are good enough that both team shouldn't turn it now. But the more likely scenario is strictly Payton for Robinson, Barry, a filler, a first rounder. This trade will not be as good because the Pistons have to give up Robinson, their best interior defender, but Booth's value is very low right now so I think Sonics will wait until he plays a full season before considering his future in Seattle.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
I agree Detroit is the most obvious destination right now for Payton if he has to go. Because Joe Dumars has indicated he's not done dealing. And the proposed trade above are good enough that both team shouldn't turn it now. But the more likely scenario is strictly Payton for Robinson, Barry, a filler, a first rounder. This trade will not be as good because the Pistons have to give up Robinson, their best interior defender, but Booth's value is very low right now so I think Sonics will wait until he plays a full season before considering his future in Seattle.
I included Atkins & Booth in this deal because a) if the Pistons acquired Payton, Atkins would be a third-string PG, with four years left on his contract, and b) if the Pistons traded Clifford Robinson, they'll need someone to take his minutes, and Booth can help do that, and c) the Sonics want to clear payroll, and Booth makes more money than Atkins, plus Atkins can be this team's backup PG for the next several years.

But yeah, obviously the fewer players involved, the easier it is to make a deal. It just seems to me that Chucky Atkins is probably a little too good to be sitting at the end of somebody's bench!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/4074582.htm

Theres the link. The piece on Payton is at the bottom.

I really hope that Payton does not end up on the Blazers. That team is ready to self destruct, not that it hasnt already. But this team is going to revolt and all hell is going to break loose. Would like to see him w/ the Spurs or Twolves, but I think Payton's best bet to become a free agent and go from there. :p

·
Registered
338 Posts
If Payton does get traded i think he will go to the east and then people will realize how great of a poibt guard he is just like this season with kidd.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Milwaukee is also a destination. GK loves his style and his game, and GP wants to reunite with him. Maybe Cassell and a 1st rounder for GP. It saves some money for Seattle and they get a proven vet in Sammy in return.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
That would be interesting. Problem is, will Payton be able to assist Ray Allen like Sam Cassell can? I personally think Payton would be better than Cassell, but he probably doesn't know Ray's game as well... but I think this could work well for both teams. The Sonics get a solid mid-range + 3point shooter, and the Bucks, a proven superstar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts