Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Heels are back....NOT!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Roy Williams falls to 0-3 versus Gary Williams. I guess we know who the real Williams is... and hears a hint his name aint Roy.

I dont dislike UNC nearly as much as Duke, just their whine and cheese fans. Who think their players are God's gift to basketball. I have great respect for the program

John Gilchrist showed why he is one of the ACC's elite points with a big game where he took it right at Ray Felton with his bigger frame scoring 20 points. These two are clearly in the upper echelo of points in the ACC. In fact I think the country got to see what Gilchrist can do for the first time tonight. He's a special player. Jamar Smith gave May fits with his quickness which was a great battle between two titans He finished with 22 points ans showed that he is a contender for ACC 1st team

Nik Caner Medley chipped in with 15 and Ekene Ibekwe had 11. This kid is coming on strong. Chris McCray grabbed a crititcal rebound with a little over a minute to go and hit two clutch free throws. Garrison played well. Mike Jones finally got into the swing of things keeping Maryland in it late in the first half. While I dont think Maryland is there yet, they are getting there. Their D is superb despite some lapses in the first half and enough cant be said about McCray and the way he play defense. I have never seen a player make such a change in such a short AMOUNT OF TIME. This is a kid who played no defense in high school and has beocme one of the better perimeter defenders since then. Now if only he would score and be more aggressive now . Way to go Chris "Coach J" is rooting for you.

Carolina is a good team. However they will only go as far as they play defense which is why I expect them to get waxed by UCONN on Satursay. Much props to Jawad for playing with the broken nose. I know how much it means to him, but he should have come ot MD he is 2-5 against Maryland life time. and he didnt get a chance to win a NC. But alls well that ends well.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Gilchrist really did suprise me, he played well against Felton who is one of the best defensive PG's. Canner-Medley did well, he moved really well without the ball. May. had a another big game, but when he was double teamed he got scared and usually turned it into a turnover.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Awesome game. Gilchrist outplayed Felton. Smith outplayed May. You could even say Caner-Medley outplayed McCants late in the game. Great win for the Terps.

FEAR THE TURTLE!!!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
DaFuture, I watched the game start to finish and I must say I was impressed by Maryland. They are very well coached and defend pretty well. I still think they lack the superstar type talent to take them to the top of the ACC or deep in the tournament, but I think this year bodes VERY well for next year's team as they are only losing Jamar Smith. I think next year's ACC will be a Duke/Maryland/Wake dogfight once again, and could be a four-way dogfight with UNC as well, but I'm expecting at least one early defection from their top 4 guys.

Carolina is a good team. However they will only go as far as they play defense which is why I expect them to get waxed by UCONN on Satursay. Much props to Jawad for playing with the broken nose. I know how much it means to him, but he should have come ot MD he is 2-5 against Maryland life time. and he didnt get a chance to win a NC. But alls well that ends well.
I think you hit on a major point with UNC. They have tons of talent, but they can only get as far as their defense takes them, and they are not a good defensive team. McCants seems to be off in never-never-land on defense, and even May (who admittedly comes up with some impressive blocks) seems to be slow in reacting on help defense much of the time.

Duke and Maryland, conversely, have no truly exploitable weak links on defense. Randolph has improved on that end immeasurably, and although Redick isn't the quickest he plays tough and aggressively and relies on solid fundamentals. He's only really been burned in one game so far this year. Maryland's weakest links on defense, Caner-Medley and McCray, are both more than respectable and play smart, fundamental defense even if they don't have the tools to be shut down defenders.

Hey, not every guy is built to be a great defender, but it's the teams who get these guys to play tough, fundamental defense within the team's framework that separate themselves as the top defensive teams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts