Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PHILADELPHIA - Matt Carroll would love to stick in Charlotte.

Signed by the expansion Bobcats on Feb. 23 for the rest of the season at the pro-rated second-year minimum of $269,000, Carroll, a graduate of Hatboro-Horsham and Notre Dame, is averaging 8.6 points, 2.6 rebounds, 16.6 minutes in 16 games.

In his last three outings prior to Wednesday night's game, Carroll had averaged 15.3 points, including a career-high 20 in Saturday night's loss to the Bulls.

"The thing I like about it is it's an up-and-coming team, and I'm a young player," said Carroll, who had short stints with the Trail Blazers and Spurs in 2003-04. "I feel like this could be a situation that hopefully could be a long stay for me."

Asked if Carroll is auditioning for Charlotte with next year in mind, Bobcats coach/general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said, "Basically, what we're doing with everybody is we're going to finish this season out, and then we're going to make our evaluation. But he certainly hasn't done anything to hurt himself.

"Matt's got a chance to play in the league. There's no doubt about it. He just needs an opportunity to play. He has the ability to get to the free-throw line, he stretches the defense and the guy is a hell of a competitor. Defensively, he is not a liability."

Not bad for a guy who was pigeon-holed as a stand-still shooter coming out of Notre Dame.

"To be with any NBA ballclub is a great opportunity," said Carroll, who last week was named MVP of the NBDL. "I'm getting the chance to play here, and I'm real grateful for the opportunity to show I can play in this league."
LINK

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
If Charlotte doesn't resign him, I think there's a good chance he'd make another NBA roster next season.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RebelSun said:
If Charlotte doesn't resign him, I think there's a good chance he'd make another NBA roster next season.
I think that's almost a guarantee that someone else will sign him. Though, I think Bernie Bickerstaff won't let guys who are capable of playing to slip through.

·
A deserving All-Star
2,319 Posts
He is an EX New York Knick who did AWESOME for us in the preseason THE ONE WHERE MCDYESS GOT HURT but LayDUMB cut him before the season started. This guy has the potential to be a 20 point scorer in the NBA. Mark my words.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
knicksfan said:
He is an EX New York Knick who did AWESOME for us in the preseason THE ONE WHERE MCDYESS GOT HURT but LayDUMB cut him before the season started. This guy has the potential to be a 20 point scorer in the NBA. Mark my words.
If he's scoring 20 a game, he probably did it while his team set the NBA record for losses in a season. I think he's perfectly capable of 12 a game given he starts, but on better teams he'd be used as a reserve.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
He is a solid player and will find a job in the NBA either way. He isn't a starter or a major scorer but he is a nice role player. I would think the Bobcats will resign him this offseason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts