1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear Krause is pursuing this guy:

Philly starting SF 6ft 6in

81 games 12 pts 7 rebs

what do you think of this guy? I hear he is a decent defender also... do we have room

Harpring Career Stats:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3258

Blurb from www.Hoopsworld.com
SIXERS MAKE VISITS:
The 76ers have also been talking with the agents for Larry Hughes, Devean George, and may have had a meeting with his agent while in LA. The 76ers did not issue a qualifying offer to Raja bell, making him an unrestricted free agent. The club also reached out to Rodney Rogers, but it appears his asking price is far more than the 76ers are willing to spend. 76ers restricted free agent Matt Harping may be heading to Chicago for a meeting. The Bulls labeled him as their top free agent, and may offer him a larger deal than Philly is prepared to match.

(http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_417.shtml)

I also saw rumors of a possible sign and trade involving Travis Best and this Matt Harpring guy...

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Does anyone else wonder why the Bullls are seeking another SF when their top 2 players are SFs, in terms of money?

Signing another SF has to hurt at this point in time.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
Does anyone else wonder why the Bullls are seeking another SF when their top 2 players are SFs, in terms of money?

I did BCH. I brought it up at the other board. Also they are rumored to have invited Fostis to the summer league. 6-10 219lbs. Another SF. I do wonder what is going on. I don't look for E Rob to be moved because he has no value due to his injury. But still, it makes me wonder!!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Are the rumors about Fotsis true? I thought his rights belonged to Memphis?

If he is available Ihink we should definitely take a look at him. A 6-9 Sg/Sf who can shoot. Don't know alot more abuot him, but I remember last year during possible 2nd rd. pick discussions a lot of people had good things to say about him. Many believed he was a late first rounder. HE ended up going mid second to Memphis.

He's someone worth looking at during summer league. Anyone hear anything about Lenny Cooke?

·
A!
9,434 Posts
I think they want to move E-Rob to SG because that is what they were planning before he got hurt.....

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PG-Crawford, Jay Williams, Possibly Best and Guyton

SG-Hassell, Possibly Crawford, Mason

SF-Rose, EROB, Hassell can play SF, and now Harpring

I think instead of pursuing Harpring we should go for a back up center like Clark, it makes me nevrous thinking if eddy curry gets in some foul trouble early, which is very possible, we will have to rely on BAGARIC!

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by HAWK23
PG-Crawford, Jay Williams, Possibly Best and Guyton

SG-Hassell, Possibly Crawford, Mason

SF-Rose, EROB, Hassell can play SF, and now Harpring

I think instead of pursuing Harpring we should go for a back up center like Clark, it makes me nevrous thinking if eddy curry gets in some foul trouble early, which is very possible, we will have to rely on BAGARIC!
Chandler can play center if need be. At least for a few minutes. JK will get a pf/c vet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I also like Clark, but as one of the better centers in the NBA he can start for at least half of the teams in the league and with Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler, I doubt he would be interested in coming here.

·
Turned Thabo Fanatic
751 Posts
Originally posted by BCH

I think the exact opposite because of Erob's injury and the ability of both Rose and Erob to play SG if needed. I really don't want to see Hassell (or Hoiberg) trying to guard Kenyon Martin or Keith Van Horn again. I don't want to spend a ton on another SF, but if we could get a vet C and a relatively big SF who can defend then I'd be happy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a GM (I think Walsh, the Pacers GM) said, due to luxury tax and the was rookie contracts are constructed, trades (and drafts) will be the way to build a team. I guess JK wants to collect assets and trade some of the excess pieces for a high level player later when opportunities exist. The Rose trade was a prime example.

Moreover, Cartwright is the new coach and JK needs to get players that fit his style of play. Apparently, Baxtor, JayWill and Harpring are Cartwright's kind of players...

JMO.

·
Registered
220 Posts
At 6'7", 231 pounds, Harpring can play both the 3 and the 4. Truth is, when compared to Fizer, he's a better rebounder and a much better defender. He also has much better basketball instincts and won't be caught napping during defensive rotations. Simply put, he and Baxter make Fizer even more expendable.

Harpring also allows the Bulls to give Robinson's toe all the rest it needs, even if it means placing him on IR for the entire 02/03 season. I suspect Robinson's durability due to the toe injury has become a real concern to the Bulls.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by HJHJR
At 6'7", 231 pounds, Harpring can play both the 3 and the 4. Truth is, when compared to Fizer, he's a better rebounder and a much better defender. He also has much better basketball instincts and won't be caught napping during defensive rotations. Simply put, he and Baxter make Fizer even more expendable.

Harpring also allows the Bulls to give Robinson's toe all the rest it needs, even if it means placing him on IR for the entire 02/03 season. I suspect Robinson's durability due to the toe injury has become a real concern to the Bulls.
Rebounding is the one thing that really caught my eye about him. He averages over 7 a game. Remember he is a sf! Yes i agree he could play some 4 in limited minutes. And yes i agree, baxter and harpring make fizer expendable. I wonder if JK will move him now or wait until trade deadline? That is should we get Harpring. I like his hustle and his over all game. He takes care of the ball. Only about 1 1/2 t/o a game. Shoots 46% and 30% in threes. Yes i agree about the fact that getting him will help E Rob and his toe should that become an issue again this year.

·
Dwight Howard for MVP
1,163 Posts
Originally posted by HJHJR
At 6'7", 231 pounds, Harpring can play both the 3 and the 4.
Harpring is a great player and would be a great addition to the Bulls who look to finally get out of the basement, but I don't think he can play the 4. He is not a power-forward. But then again, it is the East.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
EROB

Everytime I hear this guys name I cringe. I do not want to expound on the toe issue, however, isn't there ANY type "release" the Bulls can get by letting this guy go somehow? It is "painfully" obvious this guy is NOT one that can be counted on because of his "birth defect." What a load of crap. Sure, he looks like he could fly and has moves that would make your head spin, but, the truth of the whole matter is, IF he cannot play, WHAT GOOD IS HE TO THIS TEAM??? I say, trade him and TAKE whatever you can get for him and just eat your losses. He is taking up a roster spot. A roster spot we could very well use for a player such as Harpring or scott williams or another vet. How many years are we gonna have to put up with "we can afford to rest him for as long as it takes???" What are our options concerning this guy, ........ANYONE? Oh, and about Fizer...IF he will be content to be our second string PF...man, this guy can only get better...i say we just need to get a replacement for EROB, that being harpring, sign Scott williams and we will be okay until we can get EROB off the books...

PG - Jay Williams/Crawford/Rose/guyton
SG - Jamal Crawford/JWilliams/Harpring
SF - Jalen Rose/MHarpring/Hoiberg
PF - Tyson Chandler/MFizer/SWilliams
C - Eddie Curry/Bagaric/SWilliams

I/R -EROB(where else??) IF we sign mason and baxter, thats 14 players total

I do not know much about these other two guys mason and baxter...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
FJ are you out there?

The qualifying offer has been made.
Do you think the Bull will outbid the Sixer for him?

Sign and trade is a 3 way deal. Both teams AND the player must agree.

A recent article claimed the interest was mutual stating the Harpring wanted stability. When I said no to your idea a few months ago on Real GM, I asked why would Philly let their starting 3 go without compensation and why would a starting 3 on a playoff team leave to play backup on the Bull? Maybe Harpring sees the impending implosion that I do for the Sixer and that combined with his desire for stability and the trade of ERob would make the Bull more attractive? He played 31 minutes last year and even with your more liberal use of players at different positions it seems like minutes would be a problem unless ERob was gone. Thoughts?

Rose/Harpring at the 3 is a nice complimentary pairing.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Re: EROB

Originally posted by BamaBull
Everytime I hear this guys name I cringe. I do not want to expound on the toe issue, however, isn't there ANY type "release" the Bulls can get by letting this guy go somehow? It is "painfully" obvious this guy is NOT one that can be counted on because of his "birth defect." What a load of crap. Sure, he looks like he could fly and has moves that would make your head spin, but, the truth of the whole matter is, IF he cannot play, WHAT GOOD IS HE TO THIS TEAM??? I say, trade him and TAKE whatever you can get for him and just eat your losses. He is taking up a roster spot. A roster spot we could very well use for a player such as Harpring or scott williams or another vet. How many years are we gonna have to put up with "we can afford to rest him for as long as it takes???" What are our options concerning this guy, ........ANYONE? Oh, and about Fizer...IF he will be content to be our second string PF...man, this guy can only get better...i say we just need to get a replacement for EROB, that being harpring, sign Scott williams and we will be okay until we can get EROB off the books...

PG - Jay Williams/Crawford/Rose/guyton
SG - Jamal Crawford/JWilliams/Harpring
SF - Jalen Rose/MHarpring/Hoiberg
PF - Tyson Chandler/MFizer/SWilliams
C - Eddie Curry/Bagaric/SWilliams

I/R -EROB(where else??) IF we sign mason and baxter, thats 14 players total

I do not know much about these other two guys mason and baxter...
Your opinion is noted and i have found you are not the only one who feels that way. My oinion is it is down right impossible to trade E rob now simply because of his toe. No one will want to trade for him with his salary the way it is. That being said i may be among the minority but i feel we need to give him a chance. For some reason his toe was inflamed last year. Ane he was able to play before last year. When he was at charlotte its true he averaged just 17 minutes a game his last season there but thats misleading. When mashburn was hurt from trade deadline on until the end of the year, E Rob averaged about 25 minutes a game. He did just fine. I say lets give him a chance before we call for his head. Just my humble opinion:uhoh:

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Well Spoken TrueBlue! I couldn't agree with you more. When E-Rob is healthy that 5 year 31.2mil contract is a bargain! The guy can really play! It seems that a lot of folks just get impatient when a player is injured and unavailble. I can't count the number of fans hoping for an E-Rob or Crawford trade. I can't count the number of times I have heard the suggestion that we "unload" E-Robs contract. Krause is not an idiot, he signed E-Rob to a long term deal (and gushes about him every chance he gets) because he realises that E-Rob is a player. Now lets just wait and see if he gets healthy this year, if not, the Bulls may have to apply for an injury exception or something. In any case, I have a feeling that next season people will be asking "now why did we want to trade these guys again?"

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
EROB was brought to be a starter

Originally posted by ace20004u
Well Spoken TrueBlue! I couldn't agree with you more. When E-Rob is healthy that 5 year 31.2mil contract is a bargain! The guy can really play! It seems that a lot of folks just get impatient when a player is injured and unavailble. I can't count the number of fans hoping for an E-Rob or Crawford trade. I can't count the number of times I have heard the suggestion that we "unload" E-Robs contract. Krause is not an idiot, he signed E-Rob to a long term deal (and gushes about him every chance he gets) because he realises that E-Rob is a player. Now lets just wait and see if he gets healthy this year, if not, the Bulls may have to apply for an injury exception or something. In any case, I have a feeling that next season people will be asking "now why did we want to trade these guys again?"
that being said, he NEVER played starter minutes for the hornets. It will always be MY opinion the hornets knew about his toe problem; I know that will never be known, but WE do have a right to our opinion. As far as next year everyone asking "now why did we want to trade this guy?"....I hope you are right but I fear you are DEAD WRONG. mark it down, EROB will have the same problems THIS year IF he is asked to log over 15 minutes a game. It seemed the times he WAS in the lineup, that it took him awhile to get warmed up while on the floor before he could do any good...I hope he DOES get a clean bill of health this year, God knows enough of us Bulls fans are tired of hearing about the "just needs to rest the toe" dialog.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
How would the Hornets have known of ERob's toe problem when he didn't even know he had it himself? You think the Hornets sercretly x-rayed his toe and declined to mention to him he had a birth defect?

They didn;t sign him because he was asaking for way too much, and they easily match his production with Lee Nailon.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts