Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"I thought they would match,'' Matthews said in a phone interview with FanHouse minutes after he heard from his agent, Lance Young, that the Jazz would sign guard Raja Bell to a three-year, $10 million contract as his replacement and not match the five-year, $33.4 million offer sheet he had signed with the Trail Blazers as a restricted free agent. "After all, they said I was a priority.''

When Young called Matthews and told him he was going to Portland, Matthews said he was "excited'' and said he uttered, "Let's do it.'' But part of him wondered why the Jazz had never made him an initial offer.

"They said that I was a priority, but they never made me an offer,'' said Matthews, who said the Jazz used the strategy of having him bring back an offer sheet. "They never offered me anything. I'm sure that if they would have made an offer, it would have been a fair offer and I might have taken it.''
We over paid, but it was the only way we were going to get him.

Now most likely there is a trade in the works.

Link

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
I like Wes, overpaid for sure, but at least you got the guy you wanted. Does this allow Roy some more time at PG?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
There better be a consolidation trade because by my count, they have the following guys who probably deserve NBA minutes between the 1-3:

Brandon Roy
Andre Miller
Nicholas Batum
Jerryd Bayless
Wesley Matthews
Patty Mills
Dante Cunningham
Luke Babbitt
Rudy Fernandez
Armon Johnson
Elliot Williams

How the hell are you going to accommodate all of those guys?

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Yeah, they do have a lot of guys to give minutes to. I mean, I don't know that Elliot Williams really deserves minutes yet and Cunningham can play minutes at the 4, but that's still a logjam.

I have to imagine Andre Miller/Bayless/Fernandez are all on the trading block. I would hope they would do their best to not move Bayless, but I think if Patty Mills can play well they can feel a lot better about moving Bayless. Patty Mills seems like a great compliment to Roy.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Between Mills and Johnson I like Johnson. I love his D and he has had one more assist than Mills in the last two summer games. Of course you can't tell a lot just by these games, but I really like Johnson's build and bulldogness on D.

While I wouldn't be surprise seeing Rudy go, I sure hope we don't trade Miller unless we have a better PG coming back. He's the only PG I trust right now. Roy might see some mins at PG, but I think it'd be tough on his body to see many.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
The move Portland should making is a consolidation trade for Danny Granger (Batum, Fernandez, Mills, Pryzbilla would work) and then they could go to war with the Lakers come playoff-time.

Starters: Miller, Roy, Granger, Aldridge, Oden
Bench: Camby, Bayless, Matthews, Cunningham, Babbitt, Pendergraph, Johnson, Williams

1 - 8 of 8 Posts