Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...they are playing better against the elite teams. This is the most important thing for the Mavs because the last 2 years they would kill every no name team but then get outplayed by Sacramento, Lakers, and Spurs in regular season.

Their record doesn't show it, but they have a better shot at winning a championship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>compsciguy78</b>!
...they are playing better against the elite teams. This is the most important thing for the Mavs because the last 2 years they would kill every no name team but then get outplayed by Sacramento, Lakers, and Spurs in regular season.

Their record doesn't show it, but they have a better shot at winning a championship.
you forget they were special last year,especially at this time of the year. i think the addition of walker and jamison has messed up their timing out there. they had plenty of firepower in the big 3 and now they have to give up shots to accomadate the new guys. last years team was a real longshot to win it all, i think this years version is even longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Originally posted by <b>compsciguy78</b>!
...they are playing better against the elite teams. This is the most important thing for the Mavs because the last 2 years they would kill every no name team but then get outplayed by Sacramento, Lakers, and Spurs in regular season.

Their record doesn't show it, but they have a better shot at winning a championship.
What about Minny? Minny usually plays dallas good! Dallas would be the best team in the league if they could stop somebody, which they cant. they were better last year because of Raja bell and adrian griffin off the bench to play some d. Van exel was better off the bench than Jamison is. Dallas is a very good team, i say number 5 in the west(which mean 5th in the NBA) behind minny, SA, LA, and Sac right now, but you never know if they make a deal for a defender how good they can be this year. adding Wallace would be better than Jamison, but still isnt a very good defender, and would he be coming off the bench too? that would spell trouble for the organization i think.
 

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
Joined
·
15,460 Posts
Re: Re: Mavs are better than last year because...

Originally posted by <b>Nashdaddy25</b>!


but you never know if they make a deal for a defender how good they can be this year. adding Wallace would be better than Jamison, but still isnt a very good defender, and would he be coming off the bench too?
I think you dont know what you are talking about. Rasheed Wallace is one of the better man and post defenders in the league
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Originally posted by <b>CIRELLO</b>!
no but ur post is a joke.:laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Good way to use your first post.

*edited: No personal attacks please*

Must be a *allas fan.:p
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>compsciguy78</b>!

Their record doesn't show it, but they have a better shot at winning a championship.
I disagree. I think their defense looks noticably worse than last season. Last season, they debatably could have survived their porous defense.

This season, I don't think they can. If they can't tighten it up on D, they have no chance of winning three straight series against top Western teams.
 

·
Tru Warier
Joined
·
13,699 Posts
On paper Dallas is a muuuuch better team, they just need a bit more time to get used to playing together.
And no their defense hasn't improved one bit, nor does it need to be.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,423 Posts
Allas Mavericks are not better. and only because they lost NVE. That guy was crazy and he was the only one that I was scared from and he was the one that beat Sacramento and took Allas to the next series. He was shooting like crazy. Otherwise Sac would have won without CWebb. SO I don't see Mavs getting any better because they have no Defense. If Philly can score 122 pts you know you don't have any defense. Allas won't get any further than the first round. Unless they do a trade and get a defender. ( and oh yeah I forgot to put D before allas and you should know why) :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>compsciguy78</b>!
...they are playing better against the elite teams. This is the most important thing for the Mavs because the last 2 years they would kill every no name team but then get outplayed by Sacramento, Lakers, and Spurs in regular season.

Their record doesn't show it, but they have a better shot at winning a championship.
Seriously, are you on crack? Do you literally not realize that the Mavericks have had VERY CLOSE GAMES against teams clearly inferior to them? If they can't blow out mediocre teams, then don't say "championship" and "Mavericks" in the same sentence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>compsciguy78</b>!
...they are playing better against the elite teams. This is the most important thing for the Mavs because the last 2 years they would kill every no name team but then get outplayed by Sacramento, Lakers, and Spurs in regular season.

Their record doesn't show it, but they have a better shot at winning a championship.
So what if they have a winning record against the big teams, that is too small a number of games to give an accurate picture of how good the Mavericks are.

Also, most of those games against the Kings, Lakers, and Spurs they won because their shooters were hot, not because they played good defense. Their shooters are not always hot, and it is pretty much dumb luck that they got hot for the right games. The fact that their defense is still horrible and their scoring is on average much worse (despite a couple of good performances against great teams) means that they have a much worse shot at winning a championship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaUnbreakableKinG</b>!
Allas Mavericks are not better. and only because they lost NVE. That guy was crazy and he was the only one that I was scared from and he was the one that beat Sacramento and took Allas to the next series. He was shooting like crazy. Otherwise Sac would have won without CWebb. SO I don't see Mavs getting any better because they have no Defense. If Philly can score 122 pts you know you don't have any defense. Allas won't get any further than the first round. Unless they do a trade and get a defender. ( and oh yeah I forgot to put D before allas and you should know why) :cool:
wow, thats so original ...lets bring up old jokes ...youre so original sacramento *edited*...:rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,423 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChowYunSkinny</b>!


wow, thats so original ...lets bring up old jokes ...youre so original sacramento *edited*...:rolleyes:
but isn't it true that Allas has no Defense. Even in the ESPN they said that. I forgot his name but when one of them said lets talk about Dallas Mavs he said don't say dallas but Allas because they don't defend. now I don't really know what you're talking about sac queen. I only heard Shaq say that and he can because he's the MDP in the league. I don't care if he says that. but an old joke, from allas fans. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaUnbreakableKinG</b>!


but isn't it true that Allas has no Defense. Even in the ESPN they said that. I forgot his name but when one of them said lets talk about Dallas Mavs he said don't say dallas but Allas because they don't defend. now I don't really know what you're talking about sac queen. I only heard Shaq say that and he can because he's the MDP in the league. I don't care if he says that. but an old joke, from allas fans. :confused:
i know dallas has no d...i wasnt arguing that...i was just saying how original it is of you to use allas; like no one has heard of that before...& since you copied an old joke, i copied shaq's old joke about the sacramento queens in jest....

now back to the original topic...dallas is not a championship caliber team right now because of their defense , but i think there is no true clear cut championship team currently...every team is having problems...
1) Lakers - Injuries to Kobe, Shaq, Malone
2) Spurs - Offense needs major improvement (i.e. Losing to Hawks)
3) Minnesota - Szerbiak, Hudson, & Olowokandi on injured list...they are doing well without them now but how will the team mesh together when they come back...will there be enough balls to go around such as szerbiak taking shots from the other 3...(the same problem dallas has with walker though he is doing well the last couple games)
4) Sacramento - I think the Kings are playing the best right now but I think they need a healthy Chris Webber to have legitimate chance & who knows when Webber will get hurt again...last time he got hurt by just walking, who knows what will happen this time (pulling a hamstring sitting on the bench???)..
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
The Mavericks also gave up 115-120 points to New York. Their defense is in tatters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Mavs are better than last year because...

Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!


I think you dont know what you are talking about. Rasheed Wallace is one of the better man and post defenders in the league
he may be decent, but he still isnt gonna help a team that plays no d? i said he is better than jamison, he would be the best defender on dallas, but thats not saying much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
...dallas's defense has also gotten worse this year because it is hard to zone when bradley has barely begun coming into the rotation due to back spasms & dirk has to play center ( there is no point in playing zone without bradley; dont know why nelson still does it)...also our best two defenders are out...najera has been injured or played hurt (should be back next week) and josh howard has missed the last week or two...
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Mavs are better than last year because...

Originally posted by <b>Nashdaddy25</b>!


he may be decent, but he still isnt gonna help a team that plays no d? i said he is better than jamison, he would be the best defender on dallas, but thats not saying much.
He's better than decent. He's one of the best post defenders in the league. Duncan and Garnett have said he's one of their toughest defenders, he's held Duncan to 10 points or less twice and he defends those guys without much double-teaming help, which is a huge benefit to the whole defense.
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Top