Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Dallas Mavericks would be considered front-runners to sign Amar'e Stoudemire if the 13-year veteran opts to pursue a contract buyout from the New York Knicks, according to league sources.

Stoudemire made it clear in his public comments that he's not yet sure if he wants to seek a buyout from the Knicks to join a contender for the stretch run, but sources told ESPN.com that Dallas has quickly emerged as a prime landing spot if he becomes a free agent.

The Mavericks remain keen to sign Stoudemire's fellow former All-Star big man Jermaine O'Neal, sources said, and are prepared to make the needed roster room to accommodate both O'Neal and Stoudemire should they become available.

In the short term, sources said, Dallas is actively searching for a big man worthy of a 10-day contract to bolster its frontcourt while O'Neal continues to try to get himself NBA-ready via private workouts in the Dallas suburb of Southlake. ESPN.com reported last month that the Mavericks were confident they would ultimately fend off interest from the Portland Trail Blazers and other contending teams and win the race to sign O'Neal, but adding the 18-year veteran -- once he fully commits to coming back -- is now expected after the All-Star break.

Stoudemire, who is in the final season of a five-year, $99.7 million contract with the Knicks, told Yahoo! Sports this week that he would spend the All-Star break pondering his future, specifically whether to ask the last-place Knicks for a buyout to give himself an opportunity to join a team in the playoff hunt.

"It's not an easy decision to make," Stoudemire told Yahoo! "Over time, we will see how things pan out. You give yourself a break during the All-Star break. You think about it with your family. ... That will give me a good solid week on how to weigh out the rest of the season."
http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/12291689/dallas-mavericks-frontrunners-sign-amare-stoudemire-new-york-knicks-opts-pursue-buyout

Meh. I guess a change of scenery would be good for him if the Knicks agree to a buyout. But I don't see him (or O'neal) getting many minutes, especially in the playoffs.

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
A lot of teams would want Stoudamire so long as they aren't eating that deal. He could help a lot of teams
...the Mavs in particular. He's be one heck of a Wright replacement.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Well Greg Smith hasn't been super effective off the bench, so there are minutes available at the backup center position.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
A lot of teams would want Stoudamire so long as they aren't eating that deal. He could help a lot of teams
The deal is only for the rest of the season. I think most teams would prefer to "eat that deal" as they would be able to unload a ton of salary to get him and then let him walk this summer.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
Reading on HoopsHype that Stoudemire would prefer to go to Phoenix if bought out. I can see him doing well there, too.

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
Reading on HoopsHype that Stoudemire would prefer to go to Phoenix if bought out. I can see him doing well there, too.
He needs that training staff to stay healthy and he knows it.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
The deal is only for the rest of the season. I think most teams would prefer to "eat that deal" as they would be able to unload a ton of salary to get him and then let him walk this summer.
The problem is that I don't see the Knicks taking on any long-term salary in a Stoudamire deal unless it nets them a star, and that's just not realistic, and there aren't many teams who have enough spare expirings to even match salary with New York. Seems logical that everyone will simply wait for NY to buy him out and then try to land him on a minimum deal.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
The problem is that I don't see the Knicks taking on any long-term salary in a Stoudamire deal unless it nets them a star, and that's just not realistic, and there aren't many teams who have enough spare expirings to even match salary with New York. Seems logical that everyone will simply wait for NY to buy him out and then try to land him on a minimum deal.
Why wouldn't New York just keep him then is my point though?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Why wouldn't New York just keep him then is my point though?
Tax savings. Every dollar Amare gives back nets the Knicks at least two, and possibly more (I'm not sure if they're a repeater tax team). $10 million is $10 million.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Then it's a favor to Amare and his agent? I mean, there's a reason they're expected to buy him out and it's unlikely to be "random chance".
I personally think it's Amare's agent putting this out to the media.

I don't think Jimmy Dolan has any interest helping out Amare by buying him out and admitting to his failure as a GM by signing him to that ridiculous contract.

We'll find out if I'm wrong soon. But again, I don't see this happening unless Amare's bank account benefits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts