Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
coaches in this league will never have to worry about job security.

The obvious is Phil Jackson he has the rings and the Zen and he's dating the owners daugter. The only other coach I can think of is Larry Brown.

Oustide of that if you're a coach in this league and your top players got beef with you, your head will roll first.

If KG had a problem with Flip, Flip would be gone!

Tmac had problems with Doc and Doc was gone!

Kidd with Scott, see a trend here?

This is a problem, cause I is coming before team way to often now! Who is running the show here? High school players, college dropouts and huge egos?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Players have had this kind of power for decades. At least two decades, that is, since Magic and Westhead clashed and Magic Johnson came out on top.

It's nothing new. And NBA fans generally pay to see players, not coaches, so I'm not sure it's even anything bad.

Ed O.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!

This is a problem, cause I is coming before team way to often now! Who is running the show here? High school players, college dropouts and huge egos?
Who is running the show? The highest-paid, most irreplacable members of the team. Just like any corporation in America.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Re: Re: Maybe 2.....

Originally posted by <b>Minstrel</b>!

Who is running the show? The highest-paid, most irreplacable members of the team. Just like any corporation in America.
Yes, but how many corporations can you think of where an employee can say "I don't like my boss, I want a new one." and get their wish? That said, I'm not sure how horrible it is either.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
And how many times have you seen a player get into it with the coach and the player is shipped i can think of 2 players right off the bat.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Maybe 2.....

Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!

Yes, but how many corporations can you think of where an employee can say "I don't like my boss, I want a new one." and get their wish? That said, I'm not sure how horrible it is either.
Well, I guess the point is that it's rare that the highest-paid employees have bosses.

Usually the highest-paid are the highest in the company, outside of the owner(s)/board of directors.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do Kobe and Shaq win without Phil? No! Does MJ and Pip win? No!

Phil is a great motivator and coach, he's the brains behind six rings. Good coaches get ya championships cause they know how to manage great players and that's a task in itself!

The Nets wont win Jack this year, and I think will do worse without Scott.

The Blazers have done worse since Dunleavy and worse yet since Adelmen.

Hell even Lebron had a say in what coach he wanted to play for before they hired him. Good Lord!

Great players put butts in the seats but great basketball minds put banners in the rafters.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!

Hell even Lebron had a say in what coach he wanted to play for before they hired him. Good Lord!

Great players put butts in the seats but great basketball minds put banners in the rafters.
"Great minds" are rarely the ones knocked down by players.

Westhead (Magic Johnson), Adubato (Penny Hardaway), Rivers (Tracy McGrady), Scott (Jason Kidd)...not a roll call of great innovators or motivators.

When Allen Iverson and Larry Brown went up against one another, Brown survived. Because he's actually an excellent coach.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Greg Popovich has security, but mostly because he is signed until 2008 or something like that. I can't imagine the Spurs firing Popovich and then paying off his contract for the final 3 or 4 years.

How is Larry Brown on anyone's list? This guy moves around a lot, and really hasn't had that much sucess to be on the same level as Phil Jackson. Another guy who won't be fired anytime soon is Jerry Sloan, who gets the most out of his teams year after year.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love Pop in San Antonio but do ya really think if Duncan had a problem with him they wouldn't find a way to get rid of him in a hurry?

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
I love Pop in San Antonio but do ya really think if Duncan had a problem with him they wouldn't find a way to get rid of him in a hurry?

Not after they signed him to a 4 or 5 year extension. Like I said, I can't imagine a team firing a coach, only to pay off his next 3 or 4 years on his contract, then have to pay for another coach.

But if for some reason Duncan uncharacteristicly demands "me or him" in reference to Popovich, I'll pack Pops' bags for him.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
People don't come to see coaches coach, they come to see players play.

That said, only a few coaches at this time not get fired by a player. That would be Jackson & Sloan.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the flip side you have a bunch great players that can't run a play and the coach is blamed!

How often is the players lack of work ethic or very low basketball IQ questioned in the major papers or with Chuck on TNT for instance?

Jordan had great basketball IQ and so does Pip. Kobe has great basketball IQ and so does Duncan. Coaches can teach these guys cause they don't have to go back to how to tie your shoes everyday with them, like they do with our team.

Many superstars in this league are young guys that can't comprehend the game at this level and that's exactly why they should be in college learning the ropes.

Coaches at this level expect players to have a certain amount of skill both mentally and physically. Physically it may be there but mentally coaches are suffering from the huge learning curve most of the players ail from. So instead of saying the players need lots of study time, the coach is fired and another sacrificial lamb is brought in.

Doesn't make sense to me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts